Karoonda (SA) Silo Art

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 15, 2020 at 15:19
ThreadID: 140749 Views:6752 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Recently we stayed at Karoonda, en route to the Fleurieu Peninsular (first stop McLaren Vale wineries, to be truthful :-))

Karoonda has some very nice conventional silo art:

but they have added an innovation. After dark each night they project a light show onto the five unpainted silos. It's a 20 minute loop and is repeated for a couple of hours. The theme varies with works by different artists at different times.

Here are a few images from our visit:

In keeping with the light show theme, Karoonda has done wonders with light sculptures in its main street:

Well done, Karoonda, and thanks for the very reasonably priced caravan park.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 12 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Nov 15, 2020 at 21:43

Sunday, Nov 15, 2020 at 21:43
Gee, thanks for that Frank. Karoonda really has achieved something here.

It has been more than 50 years since I have been to Karoonda. We used to pass through en route from Adelaide to Berri when visiting rellies and would not have bothered stopping. But if again in the vicinity will certainly give it attention.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634110

Reply By: Uncle Arthur - Monday, Nov 16, 2020 at 08:38

Monday, Nov 16, 2020 at 08:38
We saw these art works in July 2019 on our last trip to the North Island [we live in Tasmania] as they were being painted at the time. We had just lost our ever faithful kelpie, "Ben", a matter of weeks earlier and have his photo as the screen home page on our phone. It is the exact image of the dog on the silo and as a result there was a great outflowing of emotion. The artist was still completing the works so we spoke to him and shared our story of Ben. We regard this art work as a memorial to our "child". R.I.P. Ben
AnswerID: 634113

Follow Up By: nick g1 - Monday, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:22

Monday, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:22
Laughed at your jibe of the North island. Thats a classic. Will use that. As good as across The Paddock for the Nullabour and The Ditch for N Z.
FollowupID: 911238

Sponsored Links