ExplorOz Traveller V5 has been released

Hi everyone,
As the title says, we have finalised development of the latest major update to ExplorOz Traveller (our GPS Navigation software required to view/use our EOTopo maps) and we want you to know you will soon be able to access it as a free download (if you already have it) or buy it if you are a new user ($59.99).

The new version released today is 5.0.3 (previous version was 4.1.0 released September 2020) but you may not see it in the stores for up to 48 hours. EDIT: Android version now in-store.

TIP: if you are updating make sure the app is not running when you do the update. If you have the app set to auto-update, make sure you close the app tonight ready for the update as they usually occur overnight.

GET THE USER MANUAL FOR INSTRUCTIONS: Please refer to the onboard User Manual which has been been updated on every page. This was an extensive update and not just look/feel/layout but features/terminology/logic and I don't want to have to deal with a gillion Help Desk requests tomorrow asking me to explain what's already covered in the manual. ;)

TIP: Most devices come with a standard PDF reader app but most of these have limited features so if hyperlinks don't work, or you can't access the thumbnails etc and you want to, just go to the app store and download the free "Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader".

You can also see the User Manual online User Manual Link (opens in browser if you are logged in). If that link doesn't work for you, just go to the ExplorOz Traveller webpage and open the section headed User Manual. You can use this version to print a copy for your convenience. 49 pages (mostly screen shots).

This is an update of the app which is the navigation interface/map viewing software but is not an update of the offline EOTopo mapset which is purchased by version. The current EOTopo version remains 2019. However, as existing app users know, the names/labels and positions of towns, parks, camps and POIs that appear on the map is controlled by a layer of "Places". The Places database is a free update that you can download anytime by going to the Data Manager. The things we can't update without creating a whole new map product is the roads/tracks, land boundaries, rivers, lakes, contours and other topographic features that we review on a bi-annual basis.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 22:12

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 22:12
If you get the update and get stuck on a loading page just close the app then restart your device... problem solved. NO NEED TO UNINSTALL.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634238

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 13:11

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 13:11
Update happened overnight. I have to get used to the new look. It's much easier to navigate the menus now that it's all on the one screen (I set the app to open at map view).

Great work!
AnswerID: 634248

Reply By: Member BarryG - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 15:58

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 15:58
Michelle,
The latest for IOS seems to be 5.0.2. At least, that's what the About page shows on my iPad.
Barry
AnswerID: 634250

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:11

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:11
Oh Barry....damn no....!! what you have just said tells us we've made a terrible mistake and uploaded the wrong build to the Apple store...but we have now resolved the issue and added the correct one. It should say 5.0.3 once you get the update. Not sure how long the approval will take.

Just a tip...if the speed panel seems to disappear after getting the correct 5.0.3 go into the menu, settings, app reset, reset speed panel.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911387

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 09:00

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 09:00
Just confirming the real 5.0.3 is now instore for Apple
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911404

Reply By: Member BarryG - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:16

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:16
Michelle,
The App Store says that the current version is 5.0.3 loaded 1 day ago, but when I run it, it says it is 5.0.2.
Barry
AnswerID: 634252

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:29

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:29
Just so you can breathe a sigh of relief, Michelle, the Android version reports 5.0.3

The windows store hasn't processed the update yet. I'm not getting an update button, just Open.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911388

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:44

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 17:44
Yes Barry that's right...the number inside the app is the actual build #. The number in store is just a number we assign and we made the mistake not knowing the build we uploaded was not 5.0.3...!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911391

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 08:59

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 08:59
The real v5.0.3 is now avail in Apple store.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911403

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 09:37

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 09:37
Downloaded it last night, Michelle, on iPad 5.0.3.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911405

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 10:57

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 10:57
I think all you have to do Barry is "update", and the 5.0.3 version appears in place of the 5.0.2 version.
At least that's what happened with my download this morning.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911407

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 11:12

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 11:12
Thanks Jim,
I did that earlier this morning - all good now!
Barry
FollowupID: 911408

Reply By: Member BarryG - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 11:14

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 11:14
Hi Bob,

If you did it last night, it may still be 5.0.2.
When I checked earlier this morning, it was still showing 5.0.3 on the App Store, but around 9 am EDT it changed to 5.0.3a and allowed me to update.
You can check the actual version you have by clicking the About link in the app.

Barry
AnswerID: 634263

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 18:56

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 18:56
Thanks Barry. Just checked and app was showing an update. Took less than 30 seconds to get the 5.0.3a edition.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911414

Reply By: Member - Michael H54 - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:24

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:24
I am a new user but was confident in using the previous version. The update is a lot slower on my desktop and I am continually getting the rotating logo (for a full 5 minutes now) and a half faded out screen. I have tried working offline and online, deleted and re installed my own places and treks but this did not help. Please help. I am beyond frustrated. The previous version was so robust. Should there be a message on screen to say what it's doing. Please help !!
AnswerID: 634265

Follow Up By: Member - Michael H54 - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:27

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:27
The logo has stopped spinning but the map is frozen. The grab hand is there but can't grab anything.
FollowupID: 911409

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:28

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:28
Hi Michael,
Oh dear, so sorry this is causing frustration. Definitely can help, that should not be happening at all, the new one is just as robust and faster actually so something funny must've happened during the update. I can assure you that I am using the Desktop version everyday and its not got any bugs. May I please ask you to contact me via Help Desk (use link in site footer) and I can work with you.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911410

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:36

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 14:36
First thing to do is close the app. When you launch it again it gets a reboot, I think the update may have occured whilst you had the app still open/running - that's never a good thing. Anyway, send me a support request via Help Desk and we delve deeper if necessary.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911411

Follow Up By: Member - Michael H54 - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 15:54

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 15:54
It seems to have calmed down Michelle. So as you said maybe it was trying to update while I was using the program. I've never seen the spinning logo before in the superseded version. I guess that's new. Thanks for your suggestions. I will follow up with you if I have any further problems. :)
FollowupID: 911412

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 21:25

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 21:25
Have installed 5.03 on ipad & iphone. A couple of hiccups, but I like it.

On ipad the updating nuser treks & places got stuck in a repetitive process eventually resulting in the app crashing. Restarting the app only repeated the same thing. Switching ipad off & then back on again fixed it.

No problems installing on iphone, but a small glitch when playing around changing settings - When changing crosshairs from line to symbol & then to none, the symbol remained on the map (in a fixed position - move map & symbol moved with it). Switching app off & back on fixed it.

Overall I feel the upgrade to be an improvement in terms of user friendliness. Thanks.

One thing.... someone earlier mentioned they had set the app to open to the map. I've looked but haven't found that setting. Mine both open to the map anyway. Perhaps the comment referred to the choice of EOTOPO/Streets & Paths/Satellite?
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 634269

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 21:59

Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 21:59
"One thing.... someone earlier mentioned they had set the app to open to the map. I've looked but haven't found that setting. Mine both open to the map anyway. Perhaps the comment referred to the choice of EOTOPO/Streets & Paths/Satellite?"

Cuppa,

Part of the upgrade is the app opens at the map as standard. Everything is done from the map screen now.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911415

Sponsored Links