Southwest Aus following temps north

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 26, 2020 at 18:36
ThreadID: 140793 Views:7703 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,
I already know that I am going the wrong way, though this is the last opportunity for awhile. Looking at a trip from Vic to SA, sw WA and on to WA. The more remote the better. Once I hit WA I will follow the weather up the coast . I am self sufficient, so I am looking for remote places off the beaten track. Any recent trip reports would be appreciated.

Comments please

Cheers Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 07:37

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 07:37
I think we need a lot more information before commenting on the fact that your going on a trip...
AnswerID: 634271

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:20

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:20
I may be wrong, but from the 'timbre' of your post I am guessing that you are looking for adventure, but have not previously undertaken any or much 'remote travel. If you want 'the more remote the better', you wont be travelling up the coastal WA route (not that much of it is actually coastal).

There is certainly plenty of 'remote' to be found. There is remote bitumen, & there are 'more remote' dirt roads & tracks. Far more of the latter than the former.

Remote to some extent is a 'state of mind'. Nowhere is truly remote until you run into difficulties & then the remoteness can be very sudden & overwhelming! If you travel at the 'wrong' time of year, a simple breakdown on a bitumen road where there is little to no traffic can be far more remote than out on the Birdsville track during tourist season. Not having an epirb & satphone increase the remoteness dramatically, very possibly to a life threatening level. Go well prepared, with good comms, food , water & spares & a well prepared vehicle, having told folk where you are going & arranging to let them know when you get there reduces the remoteness but provides the adventure & the sense of wellbeing that remote self sufficiency brings.

As suggested by 'Bigfish' far more information is required to help know what you specifically want other than to share in your excitement about a forthcoming, but as yet unknown adventure. Travelling remote needs planning. Most here could suggest any number of detailed remote area routes, but first I think you need to demonstrate more than what may be just an idea with little substance at this stage. For anyone to offer more than this on the basis of your initial post would probably be reckless & potentially unsafe.

Consider this the beginning of a 'conversation'. ;)
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634275

Follow Up By: blue one - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 16:46

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 16:46
Remote places I have been.

Gulf in Arnhem land
Back tracks in the NT
CSR
Simpson
Antarctica. Two tours
High Country
Back tracks in TAS

I could keep going though that would be boring.
FollowupID: 911429

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 17:03

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 17:03
'blue one', my apologies I guess I read you wrong. The very limited info in your post had me thinking you were inexperienced.

Presumably you are looking for'inspiration' for side trips off the highway? Knowing your timeframe & 'when' would help others to offer suggestions.

As a general recommendation I'd give the east Pilbara & Karlamilyi National Park a plug. Station tracks right through the Gascoyne region too are generally very good too ranging from big & wide to narrow two wheel-track affairs .Carnarvon to Newman via Kennedy Ranges & Mt Augustus is a good drive.

Check out my blog to see if anywhere I've been holds interest,

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 911430

Reply By: Geof C - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 14:11

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 14:11
“Following the weather up the coast “ in W.A. this time of year is going to ruin a good holiday. The further nth you go, the hotter it gets & the humidity can be unbearable if you aren’t used to it. Stay in the STH West for the summer, plenty of remote beaches & forrest county.
AnswerID: 634276

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 16:24

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 16:24
WA border is a long way off aren't they talking 2021 before opening.
Cheers happy travelling.
AnswerID: 634278

Reply By: bobsabobsa - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 12:36

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 12:36
WA is border is closed at the moment
AnswerID: 634285

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 16:52

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 16:52
Ok to be more specific I am looking for tracks / trips across from VIC to South of WA.

Looking for interesting places on a road less travelled. Yes I can handle remote.

I have lived in the NT and WA and don't need any info on weather or when I will travel

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 634288

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 16:58

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 16:58
How about the Anne Beadell highway to get you across the Nullabor.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634289

Follow Up By: blue one - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 17:15

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 17:15
Thanks Jim.
I didn't think about that one.

Cheers
FollowupID: 911431

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 17:46

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 17:46
Anne Beadell Coober Pedy to Neale Junction, then down to Eyre Bird Observatory via Rawlinna and Cocklebiddy, then Nuytsland Nature reserve to Israelite Bay gets you to SW WA by remote routes.

There are any number of ways to get to Coober Pedy from Vic. You could look at a route from Nhil through Wyperfield Np, Big Desert and the Border Track then wend your way through SA to Coober Pedy. There's a great drive from Yunta up past Lake Frome to Arkaroola then Inamincka. From there via Walkers Crossing to the Birdsville Trk, Maree, William Creek then across to Coober Pedy.

If distance and time is not an issue, from the Birdsville Trk you could get into the Simpson for an east-west crossing to Mt Dare via a choice of routes, then down to Oodnadatta, Arkaringa then Coober Pedy.

This may not be remote enough for you, but the general areas are remote. If you can negotiate station track access you might get get away from some traffic.

Have a look at EO's treks here for some more ideas.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634292

Follow Up By: blue one - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 19:55

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 19:55
Thanks Frank.

Will have a deko
FollowupID: 911432

Reply By: Dusta - Monday, Nov 30, 2020 at 14:23

Monday, Nov 30, 2020 at 14:23
if you are from WA as you say then you will know that sw and remote do not belong in the same sentence . once you hit esperance you are anything but remote.

Seeing as you put so much effort already into researching yourself that's as much info as i am willing to give
AnswerID: 634312

Follow Up By: blue one - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2020 at 21:12

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2020 at 21:12
Great thanks very much
FollowupID: 911731

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2020 at 21:37

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2020 at 21:37
What about turning left off the highway at Caiguna and going down to the coast through Wylie Scarp and Bilbunya Dunes? Search 4x4 Australia Great Australian Bight with Ron Moon on Youtube. It looks pretty remote and less travelled to me. Also the weather will be kinder than in the north this time of year.
AnswerID: 634502

Follow Up By: blue one - Thursday, Dec 24, 2020 at 07:50

Thursday, Dec 24, 2020 at 07:50
Thanks Mick, thats what I am looking for.

Cheers
FollowupID: 911734

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 12:23

Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 12:23
I’d endorse Michael’s suggestion too, Blue. Gives you a chance to check out Baxter’s Memorial & the cliffs named after him. The drive down the beach past Bilbunya Dunes is magic, tides permitting, as is the descent over Wyllie Scarp and area around Israelite Bay.

On our 10K km trip in 2018, we headed south from Cocklebiddy to Twilight Bay, then along the old Telegraph Line. Interesting but slow and at times spectacular, but ate into our itinerary by a couple of days.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911744

Sponsored Links