Gaia GPS App?

Submitted: Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 15:59
ThreadID: 140800 Views:7329 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Is anyone using Gaia GPS app for mapping on a tablet? Curious re any reviews and whether the Gaia Premium subscription is worth the extra cost. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 18:34

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 18:34
I looked into it and decided it is too limited for Australia. The various topo maps can be downloaded free from Australian sites. No need to pay for a subscription to do that. Gaia does not have access to Hema maps, which, in my opinion are probably the best.
Instead, I use Memory Map. It's a free app and you can download free topo maps. I also bought a HEMA subscription to download all their maps. Personally I think Memory Map has more flexibility than Gaia.
AnswerID: 634279

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 08:36

Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 at 08:36
Also, Gaia uses the otherwise free Open Street Maps. You can not rely on that for remote locations. Tracks are missing or simply wrong. That $100 saving on maps looks silly when you are stuck without correct map data for days. Great for more popular places though.

You can't beat Hema Maps on Memory Map with their 250K topo and state based detailed maps IMHO. I also import paper maps like Rooftop which are miles ahead of anything else.

Free maps are worth every cent that you pay for them. :-)

FollowupID: 911427

Sponsored Links