Blog Review: Do you ever explore areas that are not on a tourist drives ?

My Blog Rating: My Rating 4/5

Hi Steven, I've been driving that country for over 40yrs now and love it, you didn't mention the old shearing shed at Katacowie (spelling could be wrong) that belonged to the Father of a famous explorer,(forget who) well worth seeing, some of the native etchings now have a steel barrier over them.There was a great drive into a gorge that is now blocked(can't remember the name) by a national pk/ reserve.I was out there a month ago and met a couple on the road, he said he had been driving that country for many yrs and I was the first person he had met on the road in all that time.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 12:47

Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 12:47
Hi Jeff

Seeing we live in Clare, that country is in our back yard and no stranger to that area.

The old Shearing Shed at Ketchowla is full of local history and had been in the Dearlove family for generations. As for the explorer, I think you may be referring to Australia’s least known explorer, Sir Hubert Wilkins who was born and raised at Mount Bryan East.

The petroglyphs at Ketchowla are still accessible but the caged off rock face is where the Aboriginal Rock Paintings are.. The other place that is closed off is in the Caroona Consevation Park. Like you, we have never met anyone out there in the years we have been going out there.

When were were last out there a few weeks ago, doing a photo shoot, we came across an unexpected subject, sitting distressed under a tree. First thinking it was a kangaroo by its ears, it was a poor Kelpie. I called it over, picked her up and then headed to the nearest station that was over 20 kilometres away, as the last station begging was was over 80 kilometres..

We got the lovely girl safety home to its owner, having jumped off the back of their Ute earlier that morning and was not aware it was missing until they were 50 kilometres away.

If Ruby never belonged at that station, she would have had to join our Red Heeler and our Kelpie.

Here is Ruby standing in the car knowing she was safely going home.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634375

Follow Up By: b1b - Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 14:33

Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 14:33
g'day stephen, lucky for the pup that you picked her up, i would've probably dognapped her. and great remembrance for Sir Hubert Wilkins, Australia's first submariner, i think.
b1b
FollowupID: 911520

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 15:14

Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 15:14
When my mate sent Fiona the above photo, she thought......hang on, our Rusty is home in the back yard and he does not wear a red collar.......what the hell are you bringing home,........lol
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911521

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 13:59

Sunday, Dec 06, 2020 at 13:59
Here we go Jeff

Pictures that you will know.

It should be noted that the Ketchowla Shearing shed is on private property and permission must be obtained from the owner before entering any of the buildings.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634376

Sponsored Links