My post 13971 regarding Tyres and lifts - Update

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 15:17
ThreadID: 14092 Views:1581 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy one and all,

Thought I'd give you all an update regarding my discussions held with QLD Transport as suggested by the forumites who replied to my question.

The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, just wanted to get some advice in regards to suspension heights on a new GU Patrol and size of tyres that I can put on (legally).

Them: Go to our website, it has all the information there. Here's a brochure as well.

Me: Ok, thanks. I was just hoping to give you some specific heights of suspension and size of tyres and rims and see if you could give me a black and white answer.

Them: It's all in the brochure.

Me: I've read the brochure and checked out your website and think I may be in the clear to put a 3 inch lift on and put on 33 x 12.5 tyres on an aftermarket rim. Just wanted to confirm so I didn't spend all of that money then get pulled up by your transport guys.

Them: Oh well, do it and see what happens. I realise the brochure is a bit broad, but apply it as far as you can and see what happens. I don't really have time to help as it's lunch time and theres a bit of a rush.

Me: Right, well if I have an accident and I have fitted these items and I do get breached for unroadworthiness, I'm going to refer to this conversation and your lack of willingness to help me even though I am trying to ascertain these details prior to the mods. All I'm trying to do is negate any chance of breaches.

Them: We apprecaite that. Thanks for coming down....Next?

So there you go, my run in with Transport. Glad they are so willing to help, think I might get the approval of my insurer in writing, get approved engineer certificate, lift the gu 3 inches, and put on 33's and hopefully all will be hunky dorey!

Government departments. What good are they...I'm so glad I pay my taxes...NOT!

Cheers

Chris M.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 16:17

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 16:17
I swear our federal system is an anachronism. Perhaps when the quickest way to c communicate was by rail or Cobb and Co coach it made sense to have so many small states all doing their own thing (inefficiently). With present day transport and communications it makes no sense whatsoever to replicate each Department of Transport (or whatever) 6 or 8 times. I reckon get rid of the states, all the pathetic politicians that populate all their upper and lower houses, and the public servants that keep reinventing the wheel 8 times over. Imagine if the health system was run by just one government - we wouldn't have the current cost and blame shifting that means it will never ever work efficiently. Imagine if we had just one set of standards for tyres and wheels, and someone could give you a straight answer? I know - its pie in the sky and too good to be true.
AnswerID: 64876

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 16:31

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 16:31
Hi Bob,

Well said, I totally agree, makes it tough when each state has it's own laws in relation to it's transport legislation.

Although some things go in your favour when it comes to laws in each state, it makes it difficult to adhere to laws when entering another state.

I'll be interested in other's opinions on this subject if we get any further replies.

Thanks for you input!

Chris.
FollowupID: 325868

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 16:54

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 16:54
Why doesn't that surprise me with QLD.

Not on wheels and tryes but something relatively common . . . Cargo Barriers.

Everyone knows , you cant use the very rear seats of a 4wd when you fit a Cargo Barrier (7 seater) , so the majority of folks take them out . . . why not , how does it hurt. Well in QLD it does . . . apparently.

In NSW, ACT, and VIC , the respective RTA's don't care about the seats being removed , still remains a 7 seater for future use.

In QLD , you are REQUIRED to have the compliance plate changed to a 5 seater , because with the Cargo Barrier , you cant use the rear seats , so it is no longer a 7 seater . . . even though , the CB is removable . . .

Bloody QLD . . .
AnswerID: 64889

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 17:02

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 17:02
Flappan,

But is it worth moving to the colder states??? I don't think so myself! :-)

Didn't know about the cargo barrier debacle but did know about removing seats, I've taken the middle seats out of my 7 seater GQ for the Engel to sit in a frame bolted into the original seats threads. A cop pulled me up for breathaliser and suggested I put the seats back in...

You've stated the obvious...BLOODY QLD!!!
FollowupID: 325880

Follow Up By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 17:31

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 17:31
I'd like to know where is say's the seats have to be installed? & wouldn't it be nice if we only had 2 set of polly's to contend with & not 3. Just a federal gov + local gov , save us billions of $
FollowupID: 325886

Follow Up By: Utemad - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:54

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:54
My brother has a 45 series Cruiser and had a run in with the Qld RTA.

As well as a few other things they rightly picked on, they told him to put his rear seats back in or get a mod plate. His is the 11 seater although it now is an 8 seater as he put bucket seats in the front and removed the bench directly behind the driver to put a big tool box.

I remember working for a company that used to run Hyundai Excels or some little piece of crap. We used to remove the back seats and belts to turn them into little panel vans. When we traded them in we couldn't find the belts for one of them but the car yard didn't notice LMAO.

A friend of mine has an EA Falcon wagon. Before she bought it it had been made an 8 seater (3+3+2). Also before she bought it they were removed. So she has a 6 seater Falcon that has a mod plate to make it an 8 seater and a mod plate to revert it to a 6 seater. Why can't they just remove and destroy the old plate?

Stupid rule.

Utemad

Anyway. It is a stupid rule.
FollowupID: 325997

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 19:18

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 19:18
All states have their quirks when it comes to vehicle regs.

Do not try a diesel conversion here in South Oz. It is a nightmare.
You can get a jail sentence for towing an unregistered trailer.

On the upside you can register your vehicle for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months or seasonal.

I agree...scrap the states and have one government serve all.
AnswerID: 64921

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 21:03

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 21:03
Go back and get him to put it in writing, on a letter head, with his name printed on it, and also take a photo of him while your at it for later reference in court, while your defending yourself against a charge of manslaughter.
AnswerID: 64946

Sponsored Links