Paroo-Darling NP/ Peery Lake

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2021 at 16:37
ThreadID: 140962 Views:7009 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
It seems that the days of pulling off the track and camping overnight (Roof Top Tent) are gone in this National Park. The whole area has low visitation but the only offerings is either a Van Park in White Cliffs or the Coach and Horses Campground 150k away.
I understand the impact Covid has on all Parks however remote location gives us old timers great isolation.

Is there other experiences from the much travelled?

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 08:31

Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 08:31
Are you saying that camping in the parking area at Peery Lake has now been specifically banned? When we were there in 2017 we didn’t camp, but there was nothing to suggest one shouldn’t, & a couple we met there had been there for the night.

FWIW heading up to Waanaring , visiting the pub, & chatting with locals could get you a wonderful camp on a private Paroo waterhole on the northern boundary of the Nocoleche nature reserve The yellowbelly there are all white....... & very tasty. ?? If not there is free camping opposite the pub, by the water.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634716

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 09:44

Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 09:44
Hi Cuppa,
From initial research the Peery Lake Day area is just that, day use only (source: Broken Hill Tourist Info)
NP info only refers to the Coach and Horses camp well south of the Park. Seems odd as you suggest.
We tried for this general area last year but rain drove the timetable back to August. A big dust storm warning while on the Darling followed and that was that :)

Your suggestion of Waanaring region is on the list and thanks for your help mate.

Cheers
FollowupID: 912085

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 09:55

Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 09:55
Seems like ALL camping in NSW Nat Parks now requires booking ........ this from the latest Covid news in NSW parks info .......

"Bookings are required for all campgrounds and campsites in national parks, including those that did not previously require bookings."

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634718

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:13

Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:13
That's been the go for a while Jim. I believe it will remain as a payment feature in most NSW Parks even after we get through Covid.

Cheers
FollowupID: 912087

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 12:18

Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 12:18
Info from a NP personlast week is that during last years bushfires they had no idea who was in KNP. Now they need to know who is camping wrt COVID with sites limited to 1/3 capacity. So we all have to book even for zero dollar camps - which are obviously no longer free. The cynic in me says that once the NSW govt introduces a charge, it won't be abolished any time soon. Sadly the freedom we had with being able to rock up at any old time is also gone. So now maybe you could block book a spot for up to a week and turn up when it suits weatherwise or travelwise etc. If you let them know that you arrive late or leave early it would allow the site to be rebooked. All this is making things more complicated and stressful and there's enough of that already.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 912089

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 20:21

Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 20:21
I understand the reasons why it will help with Covid, and I have booked in the past. And every time bar 1 when I have arrived at the site I booked, someone else has been in my site. You can't go to another site in case someone else has booked that.

I have written several descriptive, colourful and heated letters to relevant ministers but there's no way they (1) have the slightest idea what they are talking about nor (2) will they go against the advice of their "advisers". I think their "advisers' spend their weekends indoors playing Fortnight.

Free camp now for me, whereas I was always happy to support Nat Parks.

OBJ
FollowupID: 912094

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 20:58

Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 at 20:58
I agree the new system is run by people who are detached from reality on the ground.
While mistakes will always abound let's not forget what has happened in the bigger picture.

John Howard, pressured by the Nationals to abolish certain NP's, destroyed the National body and devolved responsibility to the states.

This immediately brought into conflict the National Parks and State Forests.
State Forrests being a major state revenue stream.
More and more Parks land was encroached by SF in their desperate need to remain viable.

The second tier of Howards grand plan was to destroy the National Parks by stealth.
Redundancies, funding cut backs and Rangers who were once tertiary educated and doing field trips with scientists and studying uni students, managing road crews and chaining off 4WD access tracks.

So I have empathy for Parks Rangers and remember the ministers that ignored you where from the same political ilk that has been trying to destroy National Parks since day one.

Cheers

FollowupID: 912097

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jan 11, 2021 at 06:19

Monday, Jan 11, 2021 at 06:19
No camping at Peery lake when we were there last year, day use only.
AnswerID: 634723

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jan 11, 2021 at 07:13

Monday, Jan 11, 2021 at 07:13
I am a bit confused about the national parks that have camping areas that are not designated as camping areas, so you can't book them. For example, there are many to be had in Abercrombie River NP. People have been pulling up and camping in clearings along the rivers and creeks in that park for years. All of the designated campgrounds are free and so is park entry. There are no signs anywhere saying that you can only camp in designated areas to my knowledge. The same applies to Marrangaroo NP. So you have these parks that are littered with nice spots to camp and people have been camping at them for years, and you can't book them. From the Marrangaroo website - " Camp along the banks of the Cox's River in one of the many small campsites such as Marrangaroo campground". That particular campground has only been designated very recently, perhaps in the last year, but there are many other places to camp along the Cox's River in that park. The introduction of covid bookings makes you feel somehow illegal when you pull up and camp in spots that you can't book, for even though you've been doing it for years.
AnswerID: 634724

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Jan 11, 2021 at 09:59

Monday, Jan 11, 2021 at 09:59
Michael, keep doing it while you can, the signs will be going up very soon, "No Camping except in designated areas, fees apply".
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 912101

Sponsored Links