Light Truck Tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:50
ThreadID: 140973 Views:8303 Replies:13 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Finally lost confidence in BFG A/T LT tyres.
Going to give Toyo a try but which ones.
Size 265/75R16 on Landcruiser Cab Chassis.
Use.
No intentional mud but remote reliability required for roads like Anne Beadell etc
Considering Open Country AT 11, Open Country R/T or M55F.
Price not a determinant
Any user tips appreciated.
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Dusta - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 13:25

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 13:25
why not include hankook dynapro's into your decision
AnswerID: 634753

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 13:33

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 13:33
Yikes, lost confidence in BFG's is like losing confidence in the Cruiser !!

We have Toyo's, Open Country LT, and no complaints, lots of gravel, some dirt . Can hear them, but not intrusive. Only puncture was a large bent nail in outback WA ......... Laverton.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634754

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 14:24
Toyo’s are good had one set of them as are Nitto which are made by Toyo. They are the best tyre I have run to date, have had two sets in their Trail Grappler model which is a mild muddy and about to get another set but thinking I will get the aggressive AT model which I think they call Ridge Grappler.
Hold their shape and balance really well. The other tyre I am considering is the Maxxis RAZR as they have a similar tread style but I am preferring to run with the Nitto as I have a lot of confidence in them and no punctures to date with them.

I am running 285/75/16 on a 79 cruiser fyi
AnswerID: 634755

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 14:53

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 14:53
Have been using Toyo AT II’s on a 79 s/cab for at least 3 years, with only 2 flats, due to sidewall damage. Did Canning in Aug ‘19, and a 10K km trek through SA, WA & NT in mid 2019. I haven’t worn any out yet, that I can recall. They seem to handle okay & don’t appear to chip much on gravel tracks. No doubt I’ll purchase more of the same in near future, but really impressed with the performance of the Open Country MT’s, so may go that way too.

Re BFG AT’s, I had those on an HDJ80 wagon, when we lived on a station down the Diamantina River. Probably only 1 flattie in over 250K clicks, spanning 12 years or more, but the tread chipped badly on the gravel roads, and I rarely achieved better than 30-35K out of them.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634756

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 15:42

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 15:42
Sidewall damage is the biggest problem as it is usually the end of the tyre unlike
Tread punctures which can generally be repaired on the road at least temporarily.
I like to run slightly under inflated on gravel or dirt but BFG’s have often delaminated on sidewall.
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 912127

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 17:07

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 17:07
I drop 20% of road psi when we hit the dirt and usually run around 26psi.

At that pressure, I them limit my dirt speed to around 80 kph maximum
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912132

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:05

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:05
Me too. Was pleased to get my first set of BFG A/T's a few years ago. After 22,000 Klm's they were R/S tyres as in Rat $hit tyres. BFG played hardball and told me it was my fault (told them I had driven the Canning and the GCR, Donohue etc.. ) Before that it has always been Bridgestone Duellers and never get less than 50,000 a set.

Should abide by the old Mortein slogan "When you're on a good thing, stick to it" I think BFG are just riding on their past glory. I really did my dough with them. As Bob Y said, my problem was the extreme bad chipping, big chunks of tread just coming off, looked like I had been driving over razor blades.
FollowupID: 912143

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 16:30

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 16:30
Hi Ross

First of all, you will never regret going for the Toyo, they are a brilliant tyre.

Now for my thoughts......

Prior going to Toyo AT 11 LT, I WAS A Bridgestone man, they were a great tyre, great on the dirt, quiet on the bitumen........but were not good on mileage.

I would never let them go below 50% tread life, but that was at a dismal 30k

We did have BFG on the camper and were hearing good report on how good they were.......

Our Bridgestone had well over 50% tread left and headed up to Lawn Hill, via the Birdsville Track. When we got to Birdsville, the car tyres were perfect, not one mark on them.....but not the same for the camper, the BFG were so badly chipped it was a total joke and I knew I was not going to put them now on my Prado.

Made comments here on the forum and the usual tyre experts here said it was nothing to do with the tyres, but because they were on the camper.........which I knew was total crap.

Swapped over to the Toyo as a trial, as they were at the time over $100 cheaper per tyre, including new Toyo’s on the camper, same type...

The tyres have performed faultlessly, including the Tanami, Duncan Road, Flinders Ranges, Central Arnhem Highway, Cape York, Birdsville Track, Strezelecki Track plus countless other dirt and rocky tracks, with the camper in tow.

The tyres are still over 50% tread ware...but have travelled 60k,

If I only drove on bitumen, and they continued to ware the same, I would be looking at 110k?......give or take, something totally impossible with my Bridgestone.

Unfortunately due to age and not ware, I will be getting new tyres soon and will go Back to the Toyo AT11, without even looking at another brand.

As for the Toyo on my camper, they have travelled all the above tracks and are like new, not one mark on the, which shows how superior they are over the BFG that chipped so bad.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634758

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 16:55

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 16:55
Thank you Stephen.
I know from your frequent posts that you do a lot of remote touring so your recommendation has weight.
Have you considered the R/T or M55?
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 912130

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 17:05
To be very honest Ross, not really, as the Open Country AT11 have handled all those great Aussie Roads in their stride.

One thing I did not mention was the Toyo had a higher load rating over the Bridgestone.

How much better they would perform would be interesting, but like I said, it will see criminal to get rid of the Toyo’s that I am now using, but I want full confidence when heading off road and with as much tread as possible.

I know the only size that would fit my Prado ...265/65R17 is either the Open Country or the M55.

Not sure how they could compare, as the Open Country ticks all my boxes, quiet on the bitumen, great on the dirt roads and fantastic tyre life.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912131

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 16:39

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 16:39
As per Ross said, your input is always reliable Stephen, did a quick check on the Toyo's for my vehic;e, looks like $250 a corner (so far) so will be buying 4 of either Duellers or Toyo's before my next big trip in May. Where that is depends on W.A. (not looking good there for the SBJR) with permits required so will be driving around the N.T. and I reckon it will be on tracks that don't require a permit (unfortunately). Need good rubber so will tyre up in April.

FollowupID: 912166

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 21:41

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 21:41
Tritan , I loved the Bridgestone 694 and 697, but were hopeless for mileage.

Not I have used the Toyo and getting double the mileage I will never go back to Bridgestone.

Save your hard earned dollars and go the Toyo and you will be very happy
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912178

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 09:44

Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 09:44
Stephen L wrote "One thing I did not mention was the Toyo had a higher load rating over the Bridgestone."

Hi Stephen, it seems to vary according to tyre size.
In 265/75R16 the Bridgestone D697 AT's , & the Toyo Open Country AT's & RT's all have the same 123Q load rating.

I noted however the 285/75R16 Toyo RT had a higher 126Q load rating whereas the same size D697's only a 122Q & Toyo AT 122Q.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 912195

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:12

Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:12
On my size, 265/65R17 the Bridgestone load rating was 118 compared to my Toyo at 120
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912196

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 15:36

Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 15:36
I have the 245/70R16 and my new Triton came delivered with the 694's and now I have the 697's. Spare is still a 694 and has not been on the road yet. Was thinking if I went with the Duellers of 697, I could cycle in my spare 694 an get some value out of it on the road as a rotator. Would not like to mix and match with a new style of tyre like Toyo atm. That would tend to keep me in the Bridgestone family. Stephen, do see a problem with 3 x 697's and one (1) 694 on the road.? The Triton just went 36 months last month (Dec 1997)
FollowupID: 912208

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 06:36

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 06:36
Yes Toyos are good, but for the same money why not consider Goodyear Wrangler Mud Terrain tyres[/url] They are tough as and have kevlar belting in the sidewalls. But best of all they have a warranty that if you get a puncture that's not legally repairable you get pro-rata replacement.

I got three new tyres, for $314 only a few weeks ago, under warranty. Without the warranty it would have been a touch under $1200.

It's not a gimmick, the warranty works. I've been a GWMT user for 9 years and must be Beaurepaires 'favourite' customer.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 634768

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 07:35

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 07:35
Phil, out of necessity I often find the need to patch sidewall tears while out in the wilds to get me back to civilisation. Will they still honour the warrantee if you've patched the damage?

Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912138

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 07:41

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 07:41
Ross I'm a big wrap for the Toyo tyres. While I use the Open Country MT I have expedition experience with most variants.

My review of 10 years of Toyo experience here;

TOYO OPEN COUNTRY MT REVIEW

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634772

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 08:16

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 08:16
Hi Mick, a belated Happy New Year etc.

Yes warranty is honoured. While technically it's illegal to drive on patched/plugged tyres, they realise one needs to get home.
I had an argument with a tyre store manager about this matter way back. After one of Equinox's desert runs, I turned up with tyres that did have plugs sticking out, one was almost porcupine-like. He reckoned I shouldn't have driven on them, and wouldn't honour the warranty because I had driven illegally. I said that if that was the case the next time I would ring him so he could come out in the desert to bring new tyres. He got quite animated, shouting and waving his arms around saying he would look into it.
After about 3 weeks still no tyres. I complained to Beaurepaires Public Relations, saying he was a poor ambassador for the brand and was holding up my warranty on tyres, etc.

They apologised, air-freighted three tyres for me and within days he no longer worked for them.

I reckon I have had 20 plus tyes over the years pro rata replaced this way.

So they honour the warranty and the customer is always first.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634773

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:40

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:40
G'day Ross, I've been running Toyo M55's for a number of years now and my only tyre wreckingpuncture has been in side wall. A puncture through the tread will see you having problems getting your tyre reamer into it as the plies are that tough. I have a spare that I was forced to use coming out of the Hay River Track that had an old plugged puncture situated between the side wall and first line of side wall reinforcement below the tread and it withstood all the horror-gations between Batton Camp and the Plenty Highway and then faster speeds on various road surfaces and conditions into Alice. The plug is still sticking out of the tyre and it has never leaked. So to say I'm an advocate for them is an understatement.

They are also a good road tyre and not that noisy and handle the wet well.

Cheers

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634774

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 20:43

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 20:43
I recently fitted the Toyo RT’s in that size to our Patrol Cab chassis . Have only used them on bitumen & one drive on a wet dirt road so far , but I have no complaints . Compared to the Bridgestone D697’s (AT’s) they replaced they needed far less weights to balance, which I thought a good sign, were a bit cheaper, & have the stronger sidewalls I wanted. They are a tiny bit noisier than the AT’s, but far quieter than any MT’s. I’m optimistic that I’ll get as least as good mileage from them that I got from the Bridgestone, but only time will tell.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 634783

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 22:41

Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 22:41
Thanks Cuppa.
Yours is the first report on the R/T.
I have narrowed my choice down to the AT or the RT.
Mick O’s MT’s will I think be a bit aggressive for me in where I will go in my advanced years.
Thanks all for your time and input .
It has helped a lot
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 912216

Reply By: Gbc.. - Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 18:03

Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 18:03
I also lost confidence in BFG’s. 3 sets of Yokohamas later, I am a convert (2 x geo 12, 1 x geo 15).
Excellent on road, they don’t seem to chip, and they have the same puncture warranty as the other Japanese brand, toyo - I have not had a puncture in 3 sets though.
AnswerID: 634796

Reply By: beaz - Monday, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:07

Monday, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:07
Got toyo rt's on my Toyota ute getting a lot of heel and toe.....all terrain next time
AnswerID: 634887

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 17:52

Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 17:52
Just purchased a set of the Falken Wildpeak AT3w (265/75/16) for our upcoming trip - Hoping to get a full life from these tyres
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

AnswerID: 635227

Sponsored Links