Travel into WA

Submitted: Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 21:59
ThreadID: 140982 Views:8361 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We have been planning a big trip through W A ( 8/9 months ) from Victoria, but the Covid thing has not been helping. A couple of queries if anyone knows the answers...... is it possible to enter WA from NT or SA if one has self isolated in those states?
........ is outback camping considered self isolating?
..........are Great Central - Wapet Rd - Anne Beadel etc open or are they considered remote community areas and still closed?

I know I should look up govt. sites for these answers, but, they always leave me more confused than enlightened..... so I call on the brains trust here for easier information.
Thank you in anticipation, anyone who can assist
Regards
Murray

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 22:48

Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 22:48
When are you planning to come.
The situation is still fluid and the WA government has shown that it will act quickly to close borders if there is an increase in cases in another state.
Do your best to understand the rules as published in the website.
“A bloke told me on a forum it would be ok” probably won’t cut much ice if you break the rules, even inadvertently.
I hope things work out for you. I cancelled a trip east last year and I am not making big plans for 2021. I don’t want to get stranded interstate as thousands have been.

Cheers
AnswerID: 634799

Follow Up By: GG7777 - Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 23:14

Friday, Jan 15, 2021 at 23:14
Thanks Rocco
I understand your comment “ a bloke on the forum” and agree with it wholeheartedly, but sometimes a simpler explanation of the rules helps.
We also don’t want to get stranded , but older age of vehicle, camper and self means a couple more years and we won’t be able to do it physically.
Hope thing work out for you with your planned trip.
Safe travels... be it inside your state or in the greater Aussie outback
Regards
Murray
FollowupID: 912217

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jan 16, 2021 at 07:56

Saturday, Jan 16, 2021 at 07:56
Hi Murray,

I feel for you, but as Rocco has suggested, “a guy on a forum”. You are most likely only going to get opinions on what rules mean, rather than explanations. You are better to ask questions on the various State Government Websites and COVID-19 hot lines rather than a forum.

Good luck with your trip.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912221

Follow Up By: GG7777 - Saturday, Jan 16, 2021 at 08:26

Saturday, Jan 16, 2021 at 08:26
Thanks Macca
I will sit down and re-study all the Covid and State sites again. Asking their FAQ sections the questions that I require an answer for.
As I hinted at the onset , I was really only being lazy and picking the combined brain of everyone on the forum.
Safe Covid free travels to you also
Murray
FollowupID: 912223

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Jan 18, 2021 at 18:52

Monday, Jan 18, 2021 at 18:52
Just looking at one item on your list the Anne Beadell highway, you need the appropriate permits to travel that road, simply applying for them will answer one of your queries.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 634831

Follow Up By: GG7777 - Monday, Jan 18, 2021 at 19:21

Monday, Jan 18, 2021 at 19:21
Thanks HKB
A quick look into the WA permit site and I discovered they are currently operating under Code 3/ Type 3/Regulation 3 or some similar name. This basically means NO permits will be issued.
So as per your comment, those inland/outback roads are theoretically a no-no.
The WA “Covid travel” site also basically tells you that unless your state is absolutely Covid free for 28 days, you, will not get in unless you fit a very small exempt criteria, even then you need to apply for a G2G permit.

Hope this helps anyone else looking at escaping the “Eastern States”.
For those in Victoria I hope the “entitled” tennis fraternity doesn’t ruin any plans you might be considering.
We are currently looking at northern NSW and QLD as an alternative to the chilly Victorian ( read Ballarat ) weather.
Stay safe, stay healthy and happy travels
Thank you to all who replied
Murray
FollowupID: 912252

Reply By: John Baas - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 02:50

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 02:50
Hi Murray. We are in a similar predicament. We are WA and planning a SA to Qld to NT and return for midyear. Probably do-able then but won't risk it now.

Anyway, my lay reading of the current rules is that if you come in to WA from NT or SA after having been in those states for 14 days and if you haven't had close contact with anyone from a disease state (read eastern seaboard) then you should be good to get in. This is today! Tomorrow ???

https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/covid-communications/covid-19-coronavirus-controlled-interstate-border#state-by-state

Cheers.
AnswerID: 634833

Follow Up By: GG7777 - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 08:07

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 08:07
John
Your reading of current rules is the same as mine. The only problem as I see it , is if SA or NT has a new case in that fortnight you are back in deep p*# , and not in your home state.
Oh, well, at least we’re still alive and able to plan
Thanks for your input
Safe travels
Murray
FollowupID: 912254

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 09:32

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 09:32
Hi Murray, we're also considering going west in the second half of the year but only for 2-3 months. The plan is to make a dash for WA and do any trips in other states on the way back on the principle that as long as SA stays open to WA we will be able to get home one way or another. NSW is reluctant to close its borders and the ACT lets residents in to isolate at home as we have recently done. Hope your travels work out, flexibility is the key at the moment, we might end up in Queensland instead.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634837

Follow Up By: GG7777 - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 10:43

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 10:43
Warren
It is all a case of as you say , staying flexible but, the planning is good fun and it’s amazing just what you learn about your own country/state just in the trip research.
As has been said, WA is letting you in IF you have been 14 days or more in SA or NT so a suggestion is that on travelling through these states keep every receipt and docket, stay in Caravanparks ( god forbid ) , take lots of photos including identifiable landmarks, etc. etc.etc.
Hope your plans also come to a suitable conclusion, good luck.
Safe travels
Murray
FollowupID: 912260

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:22

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:22
We are planning a similar trip to WA from Toowoomba in Jun in our motorhome. We would like to spend a couple of weeks in SA doing the rellie thing and then continue up the centre to Tindal (Katherine) to visit our RAAF son and grandies (Christmas in Jul). Then into WA and down the coast to more rellies in the SW. Back across the Nullarbor and eventually home to Toowoomba.

We have several options if SA/NSW/Vic doesn't pan out. Thru Mt Isa to NT and WA then up the centre from WA and back to home etc. We evened looked at going down the WA coast and then return up the inland road to NT, such are uncertain times. Not looking at Birdsville or Strzelecki Tracks as others have done and come to grief.

As has been said, best to have options on the table and make final decisions shortly before leaving.

Safe travels all and hope you get to go where you wish.
AnswerID: 634840

Sponsored Links