Caravan Wheel Clamp

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 12:14
ThreadID: 141022 Views:10614 Replies:5 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

There has been quite a bit of press at the moment about caravans and trailers being pinched.
I've searched the EO forum for articles on wheel clamps but they date back over 10 years. One made a comment about an Explore Oz clamp being looked at but I can find nothing in the EO store.

Ebay have a range of clamps probably the most effective covering the wheel nuts and hooking around the tyres. Not sure about the lock though. Seems to me that a whack with a sledge hammer would break it off. These seem to be around $40 - $50.

Does anyone have any comments on wheel clamps? Would prefer Australian made and preferably one that I can put a decent protected padlock through.

Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 13:35

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 13:35
Wheel clamps would go in the same bag as hitch locks, if someone really wants to take it, they will. Battery operated angle grinder would have them off in a very short time.

You would be better off getting a GPS for the van so you can track where it is.

A simple and cheap deterrent would be some decent chain run between the wheel spokes, ever on both sides. Make it visible and they may keep looking for an easier one to steal.
AnswerID: 634908

Follow Up By: mepvic - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 14:11

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 14:11
Thanks Kazaa. Yes. Looking at a GPS tracker also but a deterrent would be of some help and maybe they would look for an easier pinch.
Also looking at some high tensile chain that I could feed through the rim and around the shockers. Buy the chain and get a decent lock from a locksmith.
FollowupID: 912307

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 14:14

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 14:14
Another deterrent could be a Rottweiler tethered to the drawbar. lol

Beware locks that require keys. I have known of rascals poking a match or twig into the key slot which prevents key entry. Can take an effort to successfully remove.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912309

Follow Up By: mepvic - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 14:43

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 14:43
Bummer. Have heard about nasty things in water tanks but not in locks. Maybe the Rottweiler might be the way to go.
FollowupID: 912310

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 15:30

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 15:30
Let me share a bit more about the event. It wasn't in Alice Springs but some years ago in suburban Adelaide. A number of neighbours of a workmate found that their key would no longer enter their front door lock. Of course, it was before security lights and cameras so no-one could be fingered. Doesn't seem to have caught on though.... haven't heard of another incident. Perhaps I should not be publicising it here. But then, scoundrels don't visit the EO Forum, do they? lol

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912311

Follow Up By: Gramps - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 15:52

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 15:52
A squirt of superglue works wonders, or so I'm told :)

Regards
FollowupID: 912312

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 15:55

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 15:55
Gramps, do you perchance live inAdelaide northern suburbs Gramps?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912313

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 17:29

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 17:29
I had an incident in SA when I came back to camp and thought the jockey wheel lock had been tampered with. In panic mode for a while because I couldn't get the key in properly. Luckily, my SIL asked if I was sure I had the right key ......... I had been trying the wrong key, and was starting to get out hacksaws etc.
Great advice when in a possible bad situation ......... sit down, make a cuppa, and give yourself time to start thinking clearly.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912317

Follow Up By: mepvic - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 17:50

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 17:50
Good advice Jim. Would make it a whisky though.

Been researching locks and chains to go through the wheel and around the swingarm.
Can get a 57mm shrouded 4 digit combination lock from Bunnings. Brand is Master Lock. $62.50

Master Lock also have a 2M length of 8mm security chain for $66. It's hardened and has a protective cover over it.

I know a battery angle grinder would cut through it but it's a deterrent.

Only problem is if I have too many sit downs with a whisky, I might forget the combination number
FollowupID: 912318

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 21:43

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 21:43
Speaking from personal experience, there are precious few combination padlocks that defy a "talented amateur" for more than a couple of minutes. If in doubt, do a google search (while you still can in Oz ...).
FollowupID: 912319

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 22:47

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 22:47
"If in doubt, do a google search (while you still can in Oz ...)."

Forget Google.

Duck Duck Go it.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912320

Follow Up By: mepvic - Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 22:58

Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 at 22:58
Thanks Zippo. Checked out the videos. Big decision. Do I pick a lock with a key that can have superglue put in it and no one can open or hope that there are no talented amateur’s about.
Might take my chances with the combination. At least then I don’t have to have another key to add to the key ring.
FollowupID: 912321

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 09:50

Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 09:50
With the mention of super glue and wheel clamps it sounds like the French might be involved. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 912322

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 13:41

Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 13:41
If they can put glue in the keyway of a padlock they could also glue the dials on a combo lock.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 912324

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 17:39

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 17:39
"Forget Google.
Duck Duck Go it."
I've been doing that for nearly a year. I rarely have to go back to Google for results. The further you can get away from Google the better, you will be tracked a lot less. You will also be more prepared when Google pulls the pin in retaliation against the Feds.

Life without Google could be better than you think From that I read:
"It’s actually fairly easy to take some small steps to protect your data, and it starts with your choice of search engine. DuckDuckGo doesn’t hoover up information about you like Google does, and it is easy to download or set as a default in your browser. It won’t give you the personalised results Google does precisely because it doesn’t know who you are."
The upside of that is DuckDuckGo does not push you to sites that financially benefit them. You get a good selection of references without being sucked into benefiting Google.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 912346

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 19:05

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 19:05
Your'e right Peter..... DuckDuckGo has a lot of benefit. Not the least for me is that it will search by selected region, or all regions. My default is 'Australia' which is a great benefit when shopping.
I did try the "JustLocal" search engine for Aussie sites but it really doesn't cut it.

Just wish it had a better name though....... "Just DuckDuckGo it" is a bit banal compared to "Google it".
The name is derived from an (American) children's game called "Duck Duck Goose" but I can't fathom why!
Of course you can just call it "DDG". Or maybe say "DD Go it". Or even "Duck it"?

This has really got off-topic from a wheel clamp!!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912348

Follow Up By: Genny - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 22:37

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 22:37
Why not just duck-it then?
FollowupID: 912349

Reply By: Kenell - Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:34

Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:34
I don't have any specific experience with wheel clamps. In my experience though with security (on the right side of the law) the more visible it is the stronger the message it sends. It can be argued that the lighter clamp constructions can be cut with a grinder or dislodged with a hammer and whilst that is possibly true it is unlikely to happen in an otherwise quiet area. If the van is stored at the home I think I would go for the big yellow clamp that covers the wheel nuts. Put a lock on the tow hitch and fit GPS tracking. The first two are not impenetrable by a keen thief but they send a message that there might be something like a GPS or surveillance in place. If you are storing the unit somewhere that is perhaps less likely to deter a thief using noisy instruments then more extensive / expensive security might be warranted. In any event anything you do separates you from most owners and improves your chances of finding the van still there each morning.
AnswerID: 634910

Follow Up By: mepvic - Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 13:29

Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 13:29
Thanks Kennel. Good advice. Our trailer fairly secure at home. Have a tow hitch lock and the safety chains are locked back to the frame. A chain through the wheel would top it off.
Concern for me is a bush camp and we are gone for the day exploring. Will have awning out and roof up but would still like some deterrent.
FollowupID: 912323

Follow Up By: Kenell - Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 14:34

Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 14:34
mepvic,
I have been bush camping for 30 years or more and stayed everywhere from Big4 parks to remote spots where we have been days away from the nearest people. I have never lost so much as a billy in all that time. I know campers do have fridges and the like stolen from time to time but I haven't heard of a camper/ van being stolen from a bush camp. I lock my coupling, secure the van, put everything under lock and key and pay my insurance. The current spate of metro thefts around Melbourne will almost certainly be organised gangs. I doubt they would venture into the bush. If they do I think they would find far easier pickings than your setup.
FollowupID: 912325

Follow Up By: mepvic - Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 15:00

Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 15:00
Agree. We also are very experienced campers and apart from a run in with opportunists attempting to pinch camp gear at the caravan park in Halls Creek in the middle of the night and some issues with hit and run yobbo's in the high country knocking off supplies then taking off at high speed through high country tracks, we haven't had any major problems.
Guess I'm a bit spooked by the current thefts in Melbourne and what will be a very busy time on our roads and tracks this year with no overseas travel.
Think it a sign of our times that we should think a bit more about security. Can remember the times when we never used to lock our cars, front doors or have security cameras everywhere. Times have unfortunately changed.
FollowupID: 912329

Reply By: Mogul - Saturday, Jan 30, 2021 at 23:31

Saturday, Jan 30, 2021 at 23:31
Most insurance companies will not cover for theft unless a proper fitting wheel lock is fitted. Ours has a clause that chain and padlock is not considered suitable.

We have also taken a picture with our security devices fitted to prove at least we have them.
AnswerID: 634920

Follow Up By: mepvic - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:04

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:04
Thanks Mogul. A good point and worth checking.

We are with RACV and they don't have a requirement for a lock of any sort. Just checked with them.

If you have advised them that you do have additional security however to reduce your premium, you would need proof. A photo like you suggest would be sufficient. No distinction between wheel clamps, padlocks or any other deterrent required for the possible reduction in premium.

FollowupID: 912343

Reply By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 13:42

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 13:42
Re ( I would go for the big yellow clamp that covers the wheel nuts. Put a lock on the tow hitch and fit GPS tracking. )

That's me.

And Insurance will not cover a replacement of a 2nd hand Traveller Van, would need to add xx,000 plus all my modifications.. 3 months of my life at my speed of doing things, plus the parts cost together with an ATM update cost x,000.
AnswerID: 634924

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 09:54

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 09:54
Found these pics on FB, shows how ineffective a cheap wheel clamp is. Was driven forward with it on. Not worth a cracker. Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635008

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 12:43

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 12:43
There is a clamp on eBay that appears identical to the one above and priced at just $20.49.
Anyone who believes that they can get security at that price may have a surprise in store!

But hey...... it does come with "two keys". lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912459

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 17:55

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 17:55
Thanks John and Allan.

You certainly get what you pay for, Can't believe someone would pay $20 for those and think that their van was secure.
I've ended up with a 2M length of hardened 8mm sq steel chain with a plastic sleeve over that I put through the wheel and around the chassis. Master Locks for around $65.00
Bought a $99.00 Abus shrouded lock from our local locksmith and had it keyed alike to other Yale locks that I use for spare wheel and other stuff on the packrack.

It's not foolproof but a decent deterrent.
FollowupID: 912469

Sponsored Links