Rebuilt 1HZ

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 06:34
ThreadID: 141027 Views:9536 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just had a major rebuild done on my 80 series, new genuine head, Spool conrods, turbo ceramic pistons, camshaft re-ground to turbo specs, crank x-rayed, bigger injectors, refurbished injector pump with compensater, turbo kit from SMS, 5 core radiator, front mount intercooler, flywheel and clutch, probably something ive forgotten (its an age thing) motor has been designed to run between 18-23psi but will be set at 18. Everything that i could use has been geniune, which is why when it come to filters i wanted genuine. I have done a bit of reading on the internet and have learned a few things. If it says Genuine Toyota on the red and white box there is a fair chance it arnt. Them boxs of 10 filters on ebay included. If also there is a letter T on the end of the part number that stands for Thailand. Newtown Totota filters are genuine I believe, $50 each but piece of mind
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 07:49

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 07:49
lots of Toyota's are made in Thailand now, as well as a lot of other makes, doesn't make all the filters with a "T" fake.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 634922

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:28

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:28
Looking back on my post i probably didnt word it right, the Thailand oil filter is a Toyota product, but still made Thailand.
FollowupID: 912344

Reply By: B1B2 - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 08:27

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 08:27
Chop,
Never heard of Spool conrods, look impressive, are they made in Oz or US? As an 80 series owner I need to ask how much for the rebuild if you don't mind.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 634923

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:42

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:42
The bill so far is around $18. The mecanic doing the build is in his 70,s and only works on cruisers, one at a time, i think it will jump up to $20-$22? But he is custom fitting quite a bit of stuff, example being the intercooler mounts, he was finally happy with the third set of mounts he made, he reckons this will his last engine rebuild after 50yrs of it.
As for the Spool conrods, they are made in China via the USA, i was concerned when i found that out and have been reassured that they are well made. Time will tell, they are quite bigger then the standard 1HZ
FollowupID: 912345

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 21:39

Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 21:39
I worked with a bloke who used to race Zooks. He had an engine rebuilt by a bloke who used to be a mechanic for a racing team. The rebuild consisted of selecting conrods, bearings, pistons and rings that matched to tight weight tolerances. Apparently the smoothness, balance and ability to rev out the engine were amazing.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634925

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Monday, Feb 01, 2021 at 06:07

Monday, Feb 01, 2021 at 06:07
I think rebuilding motors and cars in general can be an endless job, there is always going to something else, it was always in the back if my mind to ask about balancing some engine components back i held off, i didnt want to overwhelm him as there was a lot going on with the rebuild, still is actually, motors back in, bit of plumbing to finish then after he fires it up its off to somewhere else to get injector pump dailed in. It will be my last car, the 80,s are keepers. No common rail for me.
FollowupID: 912350

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Feb 01, 2021 at 13:14

Monday, Feb 01, 2021 at 13:14
Great to hear of someone doing a good engine rebuild including getting some more performance out of it. Should be good!
You say you haven’t balanced/weighted. I hope that doesn’t cause you grief.
I had a mate with a Holden 308 that he and a mechanic mate had rebuilt with yellow terra heads and upgraded camshaft. The thing would not rev , it was crap. I don’t know what was really wrong with it . But could have been the balance?
But. I had a 253 built with a mild cam and balanced /weighted , standard heads etc and it just loved to rev , outdid that 308 easily!
AnswerID: 634931

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Monday, Feb 01, 2021 at 15:34

Monday, Feb 01, 2021 at 15:34
It just goes to show then maybe how a better balanced motor may rev quicker and smoother, its bit out of my arena. But i did do some reading last night on these Spool conrods and everything was positive so far from engine builders which is a good thing, and the pistons are genuine turbo which were sent away to be ceramic coated, i have no idea what that process is, it would be great if the ceramic was applied and then each piston weighed? I might google the process later
FollowupID: 912355

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 09:37

Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 09:37
Hi

A lot of coin on a HZ. Great reliable motor as they came from the factory. Under powered, yes, reliable as heck though.
For all that coin though, couldn't you have got a second hand FTE dropped in?

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

AnswerID: 634988

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 10:28

Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 10:28
Looking back, for sure, could have probably bought a whole car. I have spent around $40g on it so far, it has been a money pit and it still isnt up to the standard i want yet. I will be retiring in 3yrs so in thinking i may as well spend the coin now while im making a decent wage because i wont be able to afford to when I retire. This will be my last car and i want it to last me out.
FollowupID: 912438

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 14:11

Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 14:11
CRICKEY, is the 40k the whole cost or is that the mods, then purchase cost on top?
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

AnswerID: 634991

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 12:15

Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 12:15
Thats purchase price as well which which was only $5g, I expected the build would cost me around $40g all up but that is going to blow out to $50g easily, its not hard to blow money on cars, not hard at all. On the other hand i see newer Cruisers going for $80-100 thousands and then you hear about injections replaced for big dollars, issues with common rail etc it made me wonder what is the best route to take. Ive had the later model cruiser utes, the 100 series (which was beautiful car to drive) but i had to replace the front diff and gearbox over time, but most things i read all went back to the 80 series as being the pretty well last of the basic cruisers that drove more as a modern car should so that was that. I bought one and the rest is history. Mind you, sometimes during this build i have wondered about weather it should have been a 100 series TD but its to late now. Maybe i should buy the missus one ??
FollowupID: 912447

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 16:08

Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 16:08
Chop,
Just curious so asking a question or two. The new head, is it a glow plug head, ie indirect injection, or a turbo head, direct injection?
I have this vision from what you said, for it to have and indirect inj head with now turbo pistons. Normal comp ratio for indirect is around 22:1 and turbo around 16to 18:1. If indirect head and turbo pistons is the comp ratio now quite a degree lower than normal? If so, it will make lighting the injection spray fairly difficult in cold weather. The high turbo boost pressure will compensate for lower comp ratio when running though. Just cold starting may be an issue. Perhaps I am seeing something not there!

Cheers
RMD
AnswerID: 635005

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 18:46

Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 18:46
Im not sure RMD, i do know the head is a genuine 1hz, its in my mecanics hands, hes been building cruiser motors for most of his life, everyone talks highly of him so i guess i will have to wait and see.. you have got me thinking but. One good thing is, it dosnt get cold up here, it should be up and running in the next few weeks so i will give an update, cheers
FollowupID: 912452

Follow Up By: Chop 1961 - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:03

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:03
RMD, i have been reading trying to further understand and think what you are maybe thinking is that by using genuine turbo pistons which have the explosive chamber built into the top of the piston and then using the 1HZ head which has the explosive chamber built into it, it will be more area hence Lower compression? It does make sence. I have been reading up on the topic and there is a mob selling turbo kits for 1HZ which include genuine 1HDT pistons if i read it correctly, i think they were called Norseman? Something like that, and I believe my kit came from a company called SMS Diesel down Brisbane way, there might be someone on this site who could inlighten us
FollowupID: 912457

Sponsored Links