ARB purge valve

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 at 13:40
ThreadID: 141057 Views:15064 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Interested in feedback on those that have fitted a ARB purge valve to overcome the problem of oil in compressor solenoid with air lockers.

Not interested in any comments on other lockers.

https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/4-04.pdf

Cheers, Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 at 20:43

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 at 20:43
I had a look at those arb valves but ultimately went with one of these

Has worked well.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635023

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:36

Thursday, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:36
Had ARB lockers on my old vehicle and didn't know about purge valves and reading the OP it begs the question why aren't the purge valves part of the original fitment of the lockers?
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 635026

Reply By: Tom C6 - Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 08:11

Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 08:11
Hi Kevin,

I have one of those kits fitted to my 100 series cruiser - my line would continually block up and either not let the locker activate as the air couldn't make it's way into the locker, or it would take quite some time to unlock when I turned it off.

Had it on now for about 3 years, and never had an issue again.

Before I fitted the purge kit I could hear the air exhaust it self from the locker and it would take anywhere from 10 seconds to over 1 minute.

It is now only a second or 2 to exhaust the air.

The situation may have been made worse by me using 90/140 oil on my diff, but with the purge kit it is now not a problem.

Just be aware that there is a little hose that needs to be run from the purge kit as an outlet, and this will generally be a bit oily, and invariably have an oil drip hanging from it. Doesn't bother me, but position it somewhere that you don't want to get covered in oil.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 635039

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 08:20

Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 08:20
Hi Tom,

Thanks for that feedback.

One of my concerns was the purge outlet getting blocked with dirt. I read on another forum about using a “T” connecter to connect the purge outlet to the diff breather line. He said that worked well.

Kevin
FollowupID: 912498

Reply By: maurice b - Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:20

Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:20
I posted this a long time ago on another site and compressor has been updated.... Welcome to the arb diff lock issue's. If its still holding air i wouldn't worry about it .I'm sick of fixing mine . I purchased a fitting from arb that screws into the solenoid valve that takes the same blue nylon hose and routed into a small fuel additive bottle that i vented and sit hidden near the fire wall. It only blows out 20/30ml each 5000km, less if you don't do fast highway driving. Never had an issue with the front one, probably because its part time and the diff only spin when i engage the hubs. Check your diff breather to see its not blocked. This fitting was about $10 and I see Patrol parts have it with a short piece of nylon hose for almost $60 now. Even thou there is oil in the line it doesn't delay the diff lock from working in my case . If you wish you can bridge a wire so you can activate either lockers of your choice as default requires rear to be on to activate front.
AnswerID: 635042

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 22:23

Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 22:23
I'm at a bit of a loss here. I'm assuming that you are using an ARB compressor, solenoid and locker.
Where does the "oil in solenoid" come from?

With my ARB compressor, solenoid and locker there was never a problem such as described.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 635056

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, Feb 13, 2021 at 11:41

Saturday, Feb 13, 2021 at 11:41
Hi Allan

Diff oil, generally caused by a poorly vented diff, or by a dodgy O ring inside the the diff itself. Its actually not that uncommon.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912522

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2021 at 12:40

Saturday, Feb 13, 2021 at 12:40
Thanks TrevorDavid,
So ARB, instead of fixing their 'dodgy' product, are offering to sell you a further product to overcome the problem?
Hmmmmm!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912526

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Feb 13, 2021 at 20:23

Saturday, Feb 13, 2021 at 20:23
Like TrevorDavid, the issue will happen if diff cannot breathe properly . I see someone said more if fast highway driving. That would definitely indicate a blocked breather causing axle housing pressurisation which forces oil out of the open solenoid valve. Unless diff rotation is somehow pumping the locker piston the problem cannot happen if diff is vented. Has anyone experiencing this problem ever unexpectantly had an axle or especially a pinion seal begin to leak????? Cause is blocked axle breather. Toyota breather ID are FAR too small. I drilled mine out so scum didn't restrict the very small hole.
FollowupID: 912533

Follow Up By: maurice b - Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 10:27

Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 10:27
@RMD .Your theory makes sense. I can confirm that small amount of oil blows up the line into my catch can after clearing oil from the line and the breather is not blocked. The system also holds air and locker works. Even clearing oil from line and not switching on compressor within 5000km there will be 20/30mls of oil in my catch can. Arb can't work it out either.
FollowupID: 912537

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 12:48

Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 12:48
Hi RMD and Maurice,
I agree with the essence of RMD's expression. A fundamental is that fluids move only when subjected to a force, e.g. gravity or a difference in pressure. And maybe a tiny bit from such as capillary action.
As the vehicle differential is usually below the height of the solenoid valve then gravity is unlikely to transport oil. This leaves pressure as the likely culprit. And obviously there needs to be oil in the path of the pressure difference for any of it to become present in the air line.
So the conclusion is that the locker piston o-ring seals must be leaking and there must be some diff pressure.
Declarations of the diff breather being "not blocked" may be in question unless it has been adequately tested. Visual observation may be inadequate. It is even possible that the diff vent may present as 'clear' when the vehicle is stationary yet become obstructed with solid oil when the diff is rotating. Such occlusion may provide the pressure necessary for oil (in liquid or vapour form) to be expelled from the locker airline connection, assuming that it has passed the seal rings.

I find Maurice's expression that "within 5000km there will be 20/30mls of oil in my catch can" a surprising amount amount of discharge. It seems more than I would expect from oil vapour alone and, as his catch can is positioned almost 1 metre above the diff, it would require more than a minuscule amount of pressure to lift liquid oil from the diff to the catch can without assistance from the exhausting diff locker.
My conclusion is that he does have leaky locker seals and he is also experiencing diff pressure in some way. Or that maybe RMD is 'on to it' with his "Unless diff rotation is somehow pumping".

Whatever!!

Anyway, it is just an engineering matter and I would have expected ARB to have solved it by now. With any such matters it is only testing and observing to determine the cause of the problem. Plus motivation of course!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912538

Sponsored Links