Any tips for Sofala, Hill End camping

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:28
ThreadID: 14111 Views:15153 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I did a search and have a bit of info but would like any personal recommendations for camping spots etc. We are planning to load up the Troopy with one daughter and two grandkids 5 & 7 for a few days over the next school holidays.

Sea

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob W. - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 07:22

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 07:22
Kev,
If you travel the Bridle Track from Bathurst to Hill End there are a few good campsites off the track next to the Macquarie River, I found Randwick Hole campsite fairly good. As you get closer to Hill End & cross the Turon River there are a number of campsites off to the right just over the river, but the ground is a bit sloping. At Hill End there is the Village Campground (too crowded) it has showers etc, further on is the Glendora Campground, there is a large open area (fenced off, so you need to carry gear in) or there are afew sites set amongst trees, OR, opposite that, is an area with a large shed/eating area; the last 2 have vehicle access, this area also has showers/bathroom block. It does get COLD and quite crowded during school holidays. You can explore old mine shafts (guided tours) or pan for gold in the river out of town. Oh, just be carefull where you walk, ther are A LOT of open dis- used mine shafts around, so keep an eye on the kids.

Regards
Rob
AnswerID: 65000

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:00

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:00
Alternatively, camp at Turon gates - they have showers and flush toilets, the kids can ride horses and feed the ducks/geese, fish for yabbies etc. Sofala is about 30 minutes away by road or 45 minutes via a track that is easy 4x4 (2WD drive really but more comfy in a 4x4).
AnswerID: 65013

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 13:04

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 13:04
since your coming frombleepney, go thru bathurst, and turn right to Sofala..

Good windy road in, not a bad little town last time I was there was 10yrs ago, but nearly every weekend for 10 yrs up there.

From there you can head out to hill end if you like, but starting at sofala is a good way to go.

As you come into the town, you turn right to shops, or straight over bridge, and then 50mtrs turn left, we used to camp down there on river bank..

Dont know what it would be like now.
AnswerID: 65043

Reply By: Member - Liz- Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:58

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:58
We did the Bridle track and Sofala to Hill End run over the Anzac weekend. We actually played two up in the pub's courtyard on Anzac Day! How Australian is that? Had a ball. We stayed in the Hill End pub which was warm and clean. On the drive in we saw lots of people camping near the river. We decided it would be a good thing to do in Spring. In Hill End itself there are plaques lining the road with photos and information about the town itself-makes for a very interesting walk back through time! Have a great time we sure did!!
AnswerID: 65064

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 17:19

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 17:19
A good place to camp is:

Turn left onto the Hill End road at Sofala and about 5km along the winding dirt road you will see a turnoff on your left...this is just (100mtrs) b4 the wooden bridge. Go down there. U can camp under the trees near the Turon River or (and this is where I go) you can turn hard left just after you have taken the left off the road and cross the creek and make your way through the tree around the corner to another excellent spot right by the river, under trees.
This is the gps location:
S33 04.541 E149 39.034
Enjoy
AnswerID: 65080

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 17:41

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 17:41
Another great spot is Yengo NP, and if you want a quieter spot, carry on to Big Yango need a key from NPWS at Gosford, $200 deposit $7.50per vehicle.

Baz.

ps, i'd put pics up but i can't optus slowed us down over download limit.
AnswerID: 65087

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:15

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:15
Thanks everyone you have been a great help, will look into Turon gates as the kiddies and daughter love horses.

Whilst we prefer it when its quieter, the kids love to have others around and we are going for a treat for them so school holiday crowds should be ok.

BAZ you will have to look into a new ISP. I have enjoyed checking out the photos you have been putting in. I cant see any animations yet though, lol.

Truckster over the years I think lots from here have gone to Hill End, somehow I thought they went shooting. I know the Artist that lived near you paints up that way at times.

I have unlimited download and all for I thought it was $22 per month but the bill for three months was $57. so it must be less. Its with TPG and I dont get many problems with them. I knew from experience I use a lot of download and would never consider having a limit.

Sea
AnswerID: 65188

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:27

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:27
I don't think you can beat TPG for an unlimited account - $17 per month for dial up, and $40 for broadband..

My brother (who is careful with his $$), wouldn't even consider broadband, but when he added up 3 calls per day to his ISP, the $40 TPG account all of a sudden became attractive to him! (and you don't need to tie up your house phone ;-)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 326150

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:11

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:11
Our download limit is 12GIG through optus broadband we have the cable package tv,phone and internet, and every little megabit gets used trust me, the other half does DVDs, me i'm just an annoyance to her.

Baz.
FollowupID: 326170

Sponsored Links