LIFE ON THE ROAD?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 14:21
ThreadID: 141111 Views:7277 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Recently lost my home due to marriage breakup and my share is not enough to buy a new one.
However, it will be enough to purchase a campervan etc.
I am male, approaching 70, fit and healthy and are considering either a campervan/motorhome/car, caravan combination as my permanent place of residence.
I would intend to travel around a fair bit with this freedom and was wondering how many of you out there share a similar lifestyle?
I am sure the pros and cons comments would fill many books but would appreciate your thoughts, good or bad.
I do love being on the road in travel and feel the happiest in my life when doing so.
I am on a full aged pension with a little bit extra behind me after buying a campervan or whatever.
Thank you for reading my post.

happy travels to you all,
Wayne (True Blue)
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 14:40

Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 14:40
Hi Wayne,

So sorry for your troubles. I am of a similar age to you, but still married. If we could, we would be on the road a lot more, but my wife has a heart condition which limits us somewhat to shorter trip duration. Although, having said that, we are planning a 3 to 4 month getaway for later in the year. We prefer to travel remotely, so carry a Sat. Phone and EPIRB for emergencies. I would highly recommend that you also get yourself a Sat. Phone and EPIRB/PLB for emergencies. When travelling long distances, we tend to plan to be close to a large rural centre at least once a month, just in case my wife needs medical attention. So far this has only happen once, and the Coober Pedy Hospital were great.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635159

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 14:54

Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 14:54
Oh wow, True Blue, so many many options !!!
Are you happy to get off road ........ really rough tracks ??
Do you like to set up camp and stay awhile, or move on fairly frequently ?
Do you fish ? Need a boat ??
Happy with canvas ? Want a solid roof ? Light camper vs heavy caravan ? How much luxury? Need an inside toilet ?

I'm happy with a water and dust proof camper , only 1 tonne, full off-road, towed by a 3L diesel ute with a canopy. Good for my wife and I for many years , but might not suit you.

Many singles like a single vehicle, and no towing and very little setting up.
Good luck !!!!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635160

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 21:50

Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 21:50
True Blue,

I too want to offer a response but am finding the options need to be narrowed down before anyone can offer advice to your situation.
FollowupID: 912699

Reply By: nick g1 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2021 at 09:58

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2021 at 09:58
Just do it!
Get on the rd and travel! You only get one life, make the most of what you have left. Only you can deside what rig suits you but get something that is easy to set up for you.
There are heaps of people on the rd permanantly and we have been for just over a yr now and love it. You will meet so many great characters on the rd and see so much of our beautiful country. I think the statistics are 75000 people permanantly living on the rd. Good luck with your choices and see you out here!
AnswerID: 635170

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:40

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:40
Wayne, can you raise $200K to $250K? If so you will be able to afford a cottage in a Residential Land Lease Village. These are different from retiremenvillages or strata type accommodation. It is much more economical to maintain a residence in land lease community than the other types. There is no point in denighing yourself home pad just because you cannot afford a house on an expensive block of land.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635173

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 21:18

Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 21:18
Wayne, life on the road is something my wife & I love ...... but ..... it is not all roses.

In the years we have been travelling we have come across too many folk, almost always single men, who had no 'Plan B', & have found themselves in a position where they are essentially 'trapped' after something went wrong - usually a major vehicle issue or a health issue. So plan, & do it, but do have a 'Plan B. Somehow single women often seem to manage better than us blokes. I'm not saying it can't be a great way to live, but the reality is that there quite a few single, lonely grumpy & miserable unconnected old men out there.

After discovering the reality of some folk putting all there eggs in one basket, living on a shoestring, & ending up in unenviable situations when we travelled for a while over a decade ago we decided that whilst we wanted to travel fulltime, our 'Plan B was to have somewhere to return to & to be able to afford to do so whatever the circumstances. I appreciate that not all have the 'luxury' of this sort of 'Plan B'. But I am trying to say that whilst growing old out on the road beats sitting looking at 4 walls & a Tv, think about what you will do if 'the wheels fall off'. Don't brush the possibility off thinking "it won't happen to me". Shit happens.

On a more positive side we have found ways to slow down & to still be enjoying a travelling lifestyle after almost 4 years & wouldn't want to swap it. Whether that would be so if either of us were alone is hard to say.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to set yourself some 'markers' which might tell you if/when you are heading toward a time when reconsidering your options might be wise, rather than drifting as so many do into situations where they no longer have options. Review these 'markers' every once in a while.

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on your dreams, far from it, I hope you do it & hope you love it like we do, just want to get you to consider all angles if you haven't already. We know how easy it is to see only the romance & the adventure of 'full-timing'.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635239

Follow Up By: True Blue - Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 23:54

Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 23:54
Many thanks for your great advice Cuppa.

I have taken in all of your suggestions and recommendations.
I know what your saying and I thank you for each word.

Kindest regards
Wayne
FollowupID: 912771

Sponsored Links