500th Edition of the ExplorOz Newsletter

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 at 13:33
ThreadID: 141125 Views:5863 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Today marks the 500th edition of the ExplorOz newsletter.
Just sent this morning (and still sending as there's 78,980 registered ExplorOz users in the mail list for it to work through....). So for those that have Opted Out, or would prefer to read it online (instead of in email) then take a look at it now here. ExplorOz Traveller Newsletter #500 - 2021 News & Updates
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Racey - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 at 17:14

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 at 17:14
Hi Michelle, Congratulations on your 500th Newsletter.

The new version of EOTopo appears to be directed to ExplorOz Traveller. Will the new maps continue to be compatible with OziExplorer? The reason I ask is that I have purchased ExploerOz Traveller which is great. However, the limit of 1000 waypoints via a GPX file is the downside. I have raised this with you previously and you were going to provide an explanation why; no doubt you got side tracked. :-)

Recently I purchased an Android version of OziExplorer solely to be able to load the Camps Australia Waypoints , which there are many more than the included sites in Traveller.

Is there way around this?

Hoping you can help.

Cheers
Jon
AnswerID: 635192

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 at 19:01

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 at 19:01
Hey Jon,

If you have valid camps that are not already loaded into the ExplorOz Traveller/Places system then why not add them as ExplorOz/Public and thus avoid the limit and be of assistance to all users. Of course we do not condone violating someone’s copyrights and data terms of use but the best way to build a better system is not to have thousands or users loading the same several thousand waypoints and keep the all private.

So if you have some and know they are valid and exist please add them as ExplorOz/Public places but please double check not to create duplicates. So from your initial thousand just make sure the names and descriptions are right a flick them to ExplorOz/Public but please ensure they have a decent names & description of what it actually is and not some coded sequence that no one can understand.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912730

Reply By: Member - Racey - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 at 20:17

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 at 20:17
Hi David, I agree we shouldn't be breaching someones copyright. I have purchased the data legitimately and certainly wouldn't make it public which is why I would want to have it for my personal use only the same way I have been in OziExplorer. I now realize that the OziExplorer program is not yours and the new Vector format will not be compatible with the raster format.

I am assuming the limit of 1000 is more to do with space on your file server seeing the GPX files must be uploaded, then, again assuming, a converted file downloaded. Rather messy. Can you not make this a local thing?

Cheers
Jon
AnswerID: 635200

Sponsored Links