EOTopo 2021 Release Date

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 16:11
ThreadID: 141230 Views:8226 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We just wanted to let you know we are still on track for a release in March (end March) prior to Easter. Fingers crossed for 2 weeks time...

As of today, we just commenced recompiling the road data after a week of revisions to road data, trek route revisions, and a new extraction of the latest Places database. We have done this task 4 times so far in preparation of the 2021 edition (Dec, Jan, Feb, and now March). Each time it takes 2 weeks for our servers to run the program that builds the (millions of) map tiles for each zoom level although the Feb compilation was the first time we had ever built the full Vector set to Level 18 - this was the most challenging part of the process to build EOTopo 2021 as task we have been dreaming of for the past 2 years. It was such a relief to get to that stage and know this was a viable product for our customers this year.

The Dec, and Jan builds were test runs to develop our Vector output protocols, and to review/revise the stylesheets so was more about the process and look than the content.

The Feb build was the first full dataset with the updated content completed through to level 18 which enabled us to look at the overall product and verify a finished product.

Since we knew we had the technology and process in place, we made the public announcement in February that EOTopo 2021 was imminent and now we have just been manually analysing/error checking the final result. As a result, we made the decision to make further updates/changes so we have just spent the last week making significant changes to the road data.

So, we are now regnerating the mapset again. All it takes now is awaiting 2 weeks for the software to build the final mapset and then we can move to public release. Everything else is in place ready to release once the map generation is complete. So we will announce that when we can. The program to build the mapset takes approx. 1.5 - 2 weeks to run but it is not a finite thing - we just wait for it to progress through to completion. So please be patient - there is nothing we can do to speed it up but we believe we are on track to ensure you have the maps before Easter.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 16:40

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 16:40
Looking forward to it Michelle.

Can you tell me if the latest User Manual will be updated as well, or is it already compatible ?

Thanks

Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635535

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 16:52

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 16:52
Not much will change in the app other than the Data Manager and map layers to use the 2021 mapset. But yes I guess I'll have to add new screen shots and tweak a few words in the User Manual as relevant to the 2021 maps but I won't let that delay the release of the maps.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913095

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 17:14

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 17:14
It amazes me that it takes two weeks of continuous processing at a very hefty data centre to compile the maps. It is an indication of the magnitude of the tasks (EOTopo and Traveller) you guys have set yourselves. You deserve every success.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635537

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 18:26

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 18:26
Sounds great.

Will the new map look like a conventional Topographic Map, or will it have the POI and camps etc embedded into it?

Cheers
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635539

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 18:28

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 18:28
Stephen,
Places (POIs and camps) have always been managed in the app as a user-controlled layer that you can turn on or off.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913097

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 18:33

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 18:33
I am not talking about the app, but the actual Topo Map that you download?

The one that you use with OziExplorer
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913099

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:10

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:10
Stephen,
We are only producing EOTopo 2021 in one output format this time as per our February newsletter - did you miss this? See ExplorOz 2021 News & Updates (Feb newsletter). That means you can only use EOTopo 2021 if you have our app. No option for OziExplorer or any other program - remember that is a raster mapping program and previously we had to produce and sell a totally different map product optimised to that program - different map completely to the EOTopo app version of the mapset.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913100

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:05

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:05
The technical detail is fascinating.. that you're doing it on such a manpower shoestring is impressive. Appreciate the insight!
AnswerID: 635540

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 13:50

Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 13:50
Thanks Duncan - we might be manpower lean, we've written the software and databases to make it possible. It's very efficient.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913107

Reply By: Rob A2 - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:05

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:05
Looking forward to the finished product. It will be our key map source from Adelaide to Cape York, across the Gulf Country and through the NT before heading home.

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635541

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:33

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 19:33
Michelle, you have probably already told us, but please humour my poor memory.

I recall , I think that all map levels will become ‘individual’ levels (as opposed to some being ‘magnified’ versions of the level below them (odd & even numbers).

Will each of the different zoom levels contain information - either additional, or same but differently presented to other levels?

I too am very much looking forward to the new offering which I am thinking may well be head & shoulders above any other offering on the market.

Will we be able to check it out online prior to choosing to purchase it.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 635542

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 20:24

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 20:24
Cuppa,

What you see in Traveller with EOTopo on-line is what you will get off-line, but with updates. You can preview it now! (Without the updates, but you'll see the concept.)

If you don't have Traveller yet, you can see EOTopo in vector format here.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913104

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 20:10

Thursday, Mar 11, 2021 at 20:10
Will this mean you are stopping support for 3rd party map apps like OziExplorer or just running this a separate project?
Will all roads and tracks be visible at all zoom levels so you don't have to zoom in just to see if a track exists?

Keep up the good work as I've seen a lot of disgruntled Hema users on Facebook you maybe able to convert.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635543

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 14:17

Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 14:17
Yes Rod that's correct. As we mentioned in our February newsletter, EOTopo 2021 will not be built in the raster format (that is the format that OziExplorer uses).

The question about visibility of roads on zoom levels - yes of course, just as it is now. More detail is revealed the further you zoom in but all minor tracks are shown way before you lose a sense of where you are. Just like it works already in the online maps EOTopo 2019 where you can see roads at all zoom levels. We most certainly aren't changing the maps functionality just because we are using Vector compilation. We've seen what Hema have done and yes that just ludicrous.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913109

Reply By: 116hynes - Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 06:59

Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 06:59
Hi Michelle,

Will the new mapset have any impact on memory requirements for Android devices? You currently recommend 4gb, I have a 2gb unit. I currently have the 2019 maps running on Oziexplorer & would like to switch to EoTraveller, but am very happy with my existing Android unit.

Kevin
AnswerID: 635546

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 14:12

Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 14:12
I've discovered that it's not all about RAM these days - because each operating system seems to use the RAM a little differently. On some devices - if the Android OS is very old, then yes it will struggle to run apps that use background processes (like ExplorOz Traveller) on a device with low RAM - however if the device is a newer device with a currently supported version of the Android OS on a device then it seems to have a better chance of handling low RAM. So, on a new device with 2GB RAM you're not talking about the same thing as an old device with 2GB RAM on an unsupported version of Android.

To be honest - anyone that is uses a budget device with an unsupported version of the Android OS (this occurs after 3 years) can expect that difficulties might arise when using complex apps that use background processes and when running a few apps at once.

Technology these days is becoming such that you can factor a life of about 3 years before needing to replace/upgrade a device if you wish to avoid complications with performance.

For example - Google no longer supports Android 7.0. And coincidently, our latest update (5.1.2) released about 2 weeks ago we had reports from 6 app users all with Samsung TabS2 with Android 7 with the same problem (seeing blue screen instead of a map). Yet the problem wasn't occurring on any other device and not all users were affected. The issue here is that once a device no longer receives the supported updates from Android it will eventually stop working correctly. We have yet to investigate the issue and see if we can modify the app in the next release to make compensation for the issue for those users but for now some of them have had to abandon that device (circa 2015/16). EDIT: we have confirmation from other new app users with Samsung TabS2 with Android 7.0 that it works fine so once again suspect those few that are having problems will find that a data clean up or factory reset would resolve their issues.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913108

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 14:44

Friday, Mar 12, 2021 at 14:44
Hi Michelle

Can the subject of road and track visibility be considered the same way as Places and Treks etc. ie user selectable. If selected On, then all roads and treks are displayed no matter what zoom level. Major roads thick, minor road medium and tracks thin. When Off, roads and tracks shown like they are now, dependent on zoom level.

There was discussion about this on another thread that you should be able to select the info you want on your map, even if it gets cluttered. I do like the idea that you can see all tracks when zoomed right out. I don't like it the way it is now.

Thanks Rod.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635553

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 19, 2021 at 16:22

Friday, Mar 19, 2021 at 16:22
One of the main reasons that the route line for ExplorOz Treks is embedded into the EOTopo map data is so that we can show these road lines well before roads of that type are usually displayed. This is possible because of how we manage the different data types that are used to build our maps, so our Treks are managed as a separate data type to the standard "road" layer.

In general, the "road" layer - displays main roads at level 4, then major unsealed at level 5 and minor unsealed at level 7. However - all 193 ExplorOz Treks regardless of road type attribution (major/minor) are shown at level 5.

So from level 5 onwards you will see the CSR, Cape York, Simpson, Gibb RR because these are ExplorOz Trek lines.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913317

Reply By: Bricky - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 18:08

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 18:08
Purchased Traveller app yesterday.
Already have Oziexplorer for android, although new to it.
My aim was to use Oziexplorer with HEMA and Eotopo.
So far liking Traveller better, so will get news maps when released.
Good work guys.
Cheers
AnswerID: 635654

Sponsored Links