Garig Gunak Barlu (Coburg Peninsula) National Park - any tips?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 21:13
ThreadID: 141268 Views:6109 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have a confirmed booking for June. :) (hooray)
Never been before.
Any tips?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 21:36

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 21:36
It is a fantastic place - enjoy. Book a trip to Victoria Settlement while you are there - great history. Also take plenty of insect repellent. Grab oysters at low tide and perhaps try fishing at the point.
AnswerID: 635658

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 05:46

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 05:46
X 2 for a Victoria Settlement trip, these places were built to last. We hired 'Venture North' to take us in their boat, as you can't drive, with fishing on the way back.
It is the best fishing, even for absolutely non fishermen. Queenies, Tuna and Coral Trout, and it happens so fast. The camp sites were good with shade sails and fireplaces to cook the fish.
You need to check the tide times for Cahills Crossing.

Enjoy
FollowupID: 913276

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 14:43

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 14:43
Make sure you have your permits.

Road was pretty rough and rugged so be prepared.

There are two campsites, from what we found, first campsites (non generator) were mostly all in use, seemed to be a pretty damp area. Second camp sight had more vacant areas and spread out, if you can get near the shower was good. Very damp place of a morning. Plenty of crocs and sharks.

Victoria cruise we could not get as there as only two of us for half a day, and they wanted a full boat and full day booking.

Great place if you can grab a good campsite and love fishing, probably need boat though.

Personally won't be going back again.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635665

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 22:26

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 22:26
Going in August - can't wait :-)
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635668

Reply By: nick g1 - Saturday, Mar 20, 2021 at 01:55

Saturday, Mar 20, 2021 at 01:55
Very easy well graded track. No problems for any 4wdrive. Lots of locals drag big boats along the track. Big campsites all spread out so your not sardined together. Not a lot to do other than fish there. Cosstal track is great. Victoria River trip is extremely expensive. So much so we couldn't justify doing it. But its just great to be able to get to this wild place and to travel thru Arnem Land.
AnswerID: 635678

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Apr 04, 2021 at 09:32

Sunday, Apr 04, 2021 at 09:32
Hi Peter

Been 10 years since we last there. Some of the info I give may be outdated, some won't.

The drive, spectacular! Leave from Jabiru at the earliest time you can make work for the Cahill's crossing. Like all unsealed roads, conditions can vary greatly. Example, a mate went there last year in his 79 series. Mirrors broke off, both electric windows fell into the doors. This will give you an idea of what it can be like.
Leaving from Jabiru will give you the time to enjoy the drive and not be pushed if conditions turn to crap. Stop, stretch your legs, have lunch etc, no, your not going to be arrested despite all the warnings of this nature when trans-versing indigenous land.

It is a beautiful drive, with the first half having a magnificent lagoon on the left with escarpment on the right. Later in the day you will go into a mix of eucalyptus and palm forest, road will become hilly and windy.

You may drive around whilst there more than you expect. We drove 300km. Therefore a range of around 1100 in fuel may be needed.

Two camp grounds. 1 close to the beach set in high density vegetation, no genertors, the other a kay or so from the beach in an open paddock style with generators allowed.

The first one you will be camped very close to other people, possibly with MANY bities!
The second, campsites are so dispersed you are unlikely to be able to see your neighbours or hear their generators. Some of these campsites have aluminum tables and a big shade sale over the whole lot. Walking distance to the loo and showers will vary, might be 100m, might be 250m.
To me it's a no brainer, campsite 2
Bore water will be available for all your washing needs. Carry your own drinking water

Take a rod if that's your thing, if so, a cast net is a MUST. Light weight mono type is fine. Don't know how to throw one? Jump online, YouTube will have plenty of videos, practice at home.
Take a couple of those large white buckets for your "livies".
Word of warning, crocs inhabit the sea and waterways, you will most likely see them on the beaches. No need to be paranoid, but caution is required. A pair of polarized sun glasses are a MUST.
When using your cast net. My technique. I pick a likely place I think bait fish will be. This need to be free of weed, stones etc. So when you stand back at the top of the beach the water is clean. My partner stands up on the dry sand for a good view, I head for the water. Under this scenario, any dark shapes can be seen by her, she calls out and I get out! This happened a few times, for rays and also the resident giant turtle who cruised past at the same time each day. if the sun goes behind clouds the water goes black, get out.

Coburg falls into 2 categories for most people. They either love it or hate it.
It's a place where you need to entertain yourself. As said, take polarized glasses. An amazing amount of marine life can be seen, I have never seen so many Rays. Also to be seen, turtles, sharks, Dingos. There are also the white bum cattle to see if your go for a drive at night.

The settlement is worth the trip, who will be running it and under what cost and conditions by the time you get there I don't know. Things can change from year to year, sometimes dependent on what is happening with the local mob.

Once again, re the road, two groups of folks I know that went there last year, wouldn't listen, insisted on leaving from Darwin. Both lots took 13 hours to complete the journey. Not much fun in my book.
Don't even think about camping at Merl camp ground!!! You will be eaten ALIVE and destroy your whole trip!

Hope all this helps.

cheers

Lyndon

Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635877

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 04, 2021 at 10:00

Sunday, Apr 04, 2021 at 10:00
Wonderful. Thanks Lyndon.