Kings Solar Panel to Kickass DC-DC Charger

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 16:46
ThreadID: 141293 Views:9295 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have a Kickass 25amp DC to DC Charger with a Kings 6 panel folding solar blanket.
I was wondering if anyone has the same issues as me or any information that may be of help.

When the solar blanket is connected to the DCDC charger it works fine, but say if you wave your hand over the solar blanket or a leaf drops on it, it stops charging. But then re-starts if the leaf is removed or your hand shadow after 10 seconds which is the normal delayed start time when connecting the blanket to the charger.

If the blanket is in shade it still keeps charging, but as soon as it receives a partial shading event like waving your hand over it or a leaf drops on a section of the blanket it cuts out.

In a nutshell, partial shading makes the system it cut out and will only re-start by removing the partial shading .

Any ideas ??
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 17:16

Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 17:16
Solar panels are made up of cells connected together in series . Two lots of seriesed cells may be connected in parallel.

So, two scenarios

1 Your blanket has only one set of cells connected in series. If you shade one, output will be seriously affected. It's just the way they work.

2 If your blanket has a series/parallel arrangement, then shading one cell should approximately halve the output, not stop it altogether. In this series/parallel cell arrangement, if it stops altogether then I would suspect a defective blanket.

What is the claimed wattage of the blanket, or can you provide a photo of the deployed blanket? That might give us an indication of the cell arrangement.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635738

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 17:20

Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 17:20
Hi Chris,

For the panel to cease all charge when just one section is shaded is normal behaviour. The panel cells are connected in series like the links of a chain and when one is shaded its resistance rises so high that it blocks the other cells hence no current flows.

I suspect that when the blanket "is in the shade" as you have put it, although the sunlight is diminished, there is still enough light falling on all the cells to produce some output.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 635740

Reply By: Chris J16 - Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 20:04

Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 20:04
Hi Frank & Allan,

Thank-you for your replies, from your explanations which made sense and explained in common english, it prompted me to seek further info on the internet.

I thought I had one solar panel unit but in fact I've got six panels wired together (120W) output and as both of you have explained, one gets shaded and its all over rover.

I would of like to have had one panel but as space is a premium in my vehicle Subaru XV the blanket was a
necessary choice.

So I just have to manage what I have, the solar set-up is only a back-up if the vehicle is not run for a couple of days on a trip around the Western part of Aus which is unlikely touch-wood.

Many Thanks
CJ
AnswerID: 635742

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 20:11

Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 20:11
Just to add to this we had an older 80w bp single panel and if you covered 10% of the panel then you lost 90% of the output.
AnswerID: 635743

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 20:58

Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 at 20:58
Chris
It seems you have a DC DC unit far more capable than what the panel outputs. You mentioned the vehicle, if you use a wisely designed roof rack, perhaps to carry gear if needed, but a fixed panel can be used on a roof rack. Alternatively, with gear on top, a good design will allow a slim solar panel to be slid out from under the rack when stopped. This can be plugged into the DC DC unit too. Maybe in parallel, if similar/match to the folder unit
AnswerID: 635744

Reply By: Chris J16 - Friday, Apr 02, 2021 at 06:48

Friday, Apr 02, 2021 at 06:48
Update:

I went and purchased a fixed 80w Renogy Panel of eBay to try and solve the issue I was having,
here are the results.

Kings Blanket: Open voltage 21~22 Volts, but when connected to the DCDC charger and voltage measured at the anderson plug where the wiring enters the charger I get fluctuating voltage readings 17-18-19 volts and then suddenly a 0.5 volts reading and the charger drops out and restarts after 10 seconds and then the process repeats itself.

Renogy Fixed Panel: Open voltage 22 Volts and then when connected to the DCDC charger reading of 18 volts, the charger does cut out occasionally if I suddenly partially shade it. I can live with this one !!

It appears that the King blanket may? be faulty or just not up to par.

The Kickass DCDC charger seems to cut out if it starts to see large fluctuations in solar voltage input maybe as a safety device or to protect itself ???

Anyway I am going to go with the fixed panel for my three month trip. The solar will be rarely used I just want it as a back-up if I camp somewhere longer than planned.

I am not 100% sure if my testing process proves that any of the mentioned items are faulty. I don't want to bag any product unless I am completely sure they are faulty or not fit for purpose.

I did contact the suppliers when I first had this issues 14 months ago but they were of no help and warranty has since expired, I haven't used the products yet other than to set-up and test, due to COVID causing the cancellation of my trip in 2020.

CJ
AnswerID: 635836

Reply By: Chris J16 - Friday, Apr 02, 2021 at 16:01

Friday, Apr 02, 2021 at 16:01
I did some more testing today:

Kings Blanket:
Open voltage 21~22 Volts, but when connected to the DCDC charger and voltage measured at the anderson plug where the wiring enters the charger I get decreasing voltage 19-18-17 and then suddenly a 0.5 volts reading and the charger drops out and restarts after 10 seconds and then the process repeats itself. (see video around 15 second mark)

Renogy Fixed Panel:
Open voltage 22 Volts and then when connected to the DCDC charger readings of 18 to 17 volts.

Kings video:
https://vimeo.com/532086121

Renogy Video:
https://vimeo.com/532085727
AnswerID: 635847

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Apr 02, 2021 at 17:24

Friday, Apr 02, 2021 at 17:24
Chris, that behaviour of the King's panel is interesting.
You could try another test to observe the panel independantly: Set your meter on the 10A dc range (and move the positive test lead to the 10A socket) then connect the meter probes directly to the panel. This will observe the panel 'short circuit' current which, for a panel of 120W rating should be in the order of 7 Amps although I expect yours to be no more than 5A even if faultless.
I expect the panel to behave as it does (or worse) as when connected to the DCDC charger and if so will indicate that the panel is definitely faulty.

Note that this 'short circuit' test will not harm a panel. It is a standard test performed by the manufacturers and published in their specs.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 913545

Follow Up By: Chris J16 - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 05:31

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 05:31
Hi Allen,

Thank-you for your reply, will definitely try your suggested test today and report back.

I will test both panels for comparison

Regards CJ
FollowupID: 913557

Follow Up By: Chris J16 - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 11:34

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 11:34
Hi Allen

Results of short circuit test you recommended:

Renogy 80W putting out 4.2 amps should only be 3.8 amps claimed

Kings 120W putting out 3.6 amps should be 6.48 amps claimed

I also did a globe test that Redarc recommend on their website, see attached video, unfortunately both panels drop out when you wave your hand over.

Think I'll just stick with the fixed panel, it performs a lot better. will just have to make room for it I guess

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/532485771

Thanks CJ
FollowupID: 913567

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 12:10

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 12:10
Hi Chris,

Well that looks pretty conclusive. Either the Kings is not the panel they claim or it's faulty. Either way it is sus!
The Renogy unsurprisingly exceeds its specifications.

The "hand wave" test result is typical, even for quality panels.
Just don't stand there waving at it! LOL

Thanks for performing my suggested test. It is so much easier to work with a co-operative enquirer.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 913568

Sponsored Links