trayon camper ?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:07
ThreadID: 14139 Views:11193 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

I'm from Germany and found your australian Trayon Camper. I like it very much. Is there someone, who has experience with these campers ? What are the prices in OZ.
I'm interested in any information, quality, known problems.....
My car is a Landrover 130. Are there other similar products ?

Thanks and sorry for my bloody english ;-)

Regards Ralf
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vinnie - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:35

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:35
Iralfi
Your bloody English is a lot better than most who post !!!!!
Sorry I can't help you with the Trayon Camper. Happy hunting
AnswerID: 65168

Reply By: Member - Tom (NT) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:45

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:45
Ralf
I am not sure how much the trayton is but they are not cheap. Another company that makes a trayback camper is www.candycanvas.com.au they are a bit different design but I know several people with them and they are very happy.
Cheers
Tom
AnswerID: 65200

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:06

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:06
Ralph

the post immediatly above is quite right, there are many options and clicking on the rig pic here will show what I have done. It depends what you want to spend but all sorts of things can be built. Mine is actually a work vehicle. Australian magazines list 4 or 5 different options on the back of tray vehicles. Candy Canvas, Trayon, Heaslip and Metalform that built mine are just some. They are all very quick setup and repack in comparison to many other systems of camping.

Complete systems are A$10k to A$24k I think depending on fitout with Candy beginning lower with no internal drawers or fridge/slide.
AnswerID: 65202

Reply By: marcus - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:01

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:01
Hi Ralf,
Have seen the Trayon at many camping shows and it looks to be a well engineered product.I would say only enough room for two people inside comfortably and from memory was around the $15,000 mark with extra's available.www.trayon.com for more info.Don't worry about your bloody english as it is better than the bloody english of many of the aussies on this site.
cheers mark
AnswerID: 65222

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:41

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:41
Ralf. I travell regulary with a friend who has the Trayon Camper & it's brilliant. It's size is comfortable for 2 people & can be set up in under 5 minutes. It is a little heavy on the back fully loaded but that is because it has been built so strong.
4 wind down legs allow the unit to be removed and braced with stays. A little time consuming (40 min) but then the ute is free to do day trips. The tent part is well ventilated for hot nights & the kitchen area makes good use of the space.
If you want the features of a camper trailer without the need to tow this is a great option. Also allows you to tow a boat if needed as my mate does.
Cheers Craig.....................
AnswerID: 65256

Reply By: lralfi - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 05:47

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 05:47
hi,

thanks !! I will look for Metalform info, Heaslip and candy Canvas are known.

If the box costs 15000 marks; I will byu it ! If I ask Trayon for information,they forward me to their european dealer in France. His price is 16000 Euros, this is about 29000 to 30000 Au$, I think, thats to much. The trayon is the only known solution, which fits my wishes nearly. It is a real lightweight, it doubles the room of the tray. If needed, I can heat it, it is not higher than the cabin and if you need more equipement for longer desert trips, you can use an additional roof rack on top of the Cabin.
In the moment, I use a roof top tent, but we want to go to Iceland, and have three little girls, who need a dry and heatable room, the wheather there is not as good as in northern africa. There it's warm, every day.

Thats my problem and trayon looks like a good solution. If you have another idea, will be happy :-)

See you in the desert !! You have very nice country, I've been there four times.

Regards Ralf
AnswerID: 65282

Reply By: Dunedigger - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:36

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:36
Hi Ralf,

I have one now for nearly 3 years . It is very good. Well built, and have very few problems with it. I really could not improve on it. The origionl mattress was too soft, and can not be more than 5 Cm thick. I still find the medium density foam comfortable though.

The few problems are of course canvas and wet weather. If the canvas is wet it goes into the 'box' along with the pillows and bedding. I carry plastic sheeting to cover the seats, pillows and bedding. I also have made a sell supporting fly to go over the canvas area to keep the rain and sun away. This also allows the windows to be open during wet weather.

The standard legs are too flimsy for the larger 4WD tabletop, which have windup legs with a handle.

On arrival at camp it can be open up in less than a minute but another 5 minutes sees it ready for the night

contact me at websites at getnetted dot com dot au for more info

Dunedigger
AnswerID: 65303

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:29

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:29
Forghot to mention. We camped just the week for 1 night in the snow up on the Barrington Tops. We heat the camper by puting a terracotta pot on the gas stove and we were quite warm.

Only problem was we steamed the vegetables with the windows closed and of course the condensation was trapped inside.

Next morning the condensation was ice which soon melted after we started the heater again, ouch, ouch, ouch.

I don't know how cold it was but a little cheap thermometer said it was -5 and I don't doubt that it was at least that cold.

I mentioned the legs being flimsy. I have a Land Cruiser with a higher than normal tray so the legs have to be quite extended to remove it off the tray. The new legs make it much quicker to wind up and down.

Dunedigger
FollowupID: 326359

Reply By: lralfi - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:57

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:57
@dunedigger: What means "flimsy" ;-) Is it a problem, to carry the Canvas, when it is wet? I think that will happen in Iceland. Your heating is an interesting idea. Do you remember the price of your box ?

Why is your nick "dunedigger", I didn't see any real dune in australia ;-)

Thank you Ralf
AnswerID: 65388

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:18
Hi Ralf

"flimsy" = a bit weak, not as strong, a little wobbley, slightly unstable, . . . . got the idea ? I mean the legs could be better built.

Wet canvas is not a problem It will dry out.come warm sunny weather but if you will be in constant wet weather, I would look at a more conventional slide on more like a
Jayco Sportster

I payed about $AUD15,000 but freight will add alot for overseas.

Dunedigger was the first thing I thought of when selectin a name. But we do have a lot od dumnes her in australia, both near the beaches but also in the desert

Dunedigger

FollowupID: 326497

Follow Up By: lralfi - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 19:26

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 19:26
Hi,

Now I understand "flimsy" Thanks.
15000 AU$, thats the half of the european price ! The shipping costs about 1500 US$. I don't have to pay Oz tax, but German toll and tax, this is at all 26 % of the australian price. What is the tax rate in OZ ? I think, I can accept a price of about 20000-22000 AU$ incl. shipping. If I come to OZ in my own car for another tour and buy the box there, I can save a lot of money ??

I had a look at the Jayco cabin, it's not, what I search. If I go to the desert, I have to use a ferry, and if the car is higher thann 2,20m, the price increases up to 200 % !! Iceland fery costs normally about 3000 Euro (nearly 6000 Au$), the mediterran ferries costs 1500 $ !!. We go normally two times a year :-)

Ok, in Lancelin are some nice dunes, Big Red is also o.k. and the CSR has also some little sandhills :-) I dont't know, how to add a pic here ??

Regards Ralf
FollowupID: 326620

Sponsored Links