96 nissan good buy???

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 15:23
ThreadID: 14155 Views:1540 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just after some advice from the experts on the following vehicle a mate of mine wishes to purchase.
Its a 96 nissan 2.8 diesel with (new) turbo,135 000 Ks,new heavy duty clutch, air, bullbar, sidesteps, 5 new tyres (not sure of brand), cd, cargo rack, 4 wheel disc brakes.
The price is $14,000 neg.
Another question is that the seller is not providing a roadworthy (QLD) is this legal?
i would like to hear from others who have knowledge of this vehivle and what to look out for. Thankyou in advance.:-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikeyandmary - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 15:37

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 15:37
Hi Bulldog,

I don't know about nissans BUT... you really need to ask why there is no roadworthy slip. I suggest that you ask if you can have a NRMA (or RACQ) inspection done before purchase. If the seller refuses then buyer beware!!!

BTW...
I found the following on the Queensland Transport website.
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/driver.nsf/index/buysellusedvehicle/

"What vehicles must have a Safety Certificate?
In Queensland you must obtain and display a Safety Certificate on any registered vehicle from the moment it is for sale. Vehicles include cars, motorbikes, caravans, trailers (0.75-3.5 tonne ATM) and any other vehicles up to and including 4.5 tonnes."

So no its not legal

Have Fun...
Michael
AnswerID: 65220

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:47

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:47
Unless it's not registered. In which case, who really owns it!!!!
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 326268

Reply By: James M - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:15

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:15
Watch out for rust around the rear sliding windows. This is specific for this model.
I have a 1995 one and i'm very happy.
$14,000 sounds very cheap. Whats the condition like? Is there evidence of hard off roading?
AnswerID: 65224

Reply By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:46

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:46
G'day Bulldog,

While not earth bleep tering in the engine power department, the 2.8TD Patrol is a good, honest, and tough 4X4 - if a bit "agricultural".

I had one some years back and was reasonably happy with it.

One thing I would query was a new turbo at 135,000km???

enjoy the bush

DennisN
AnswerID: 65225

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 21:27

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 21:27
First thing, if the owner refuses to supply a roady with it, walk away. There will always be other bargains another day.

Depends on what you want to do with it, they are a bit underpowered for such a large car. If towing is your thing, or serious Offroader, maybe keep looking you will find a 4.2 Diesel out there.

They have a good history as pretty well bulletproof, but that goes with 99.9% of Nissan motors in all Patrols.

All GQ's since 89 have 4 wheel discs.

Its had a new clutch recently with 135k klms, did it have a large history of towing heavy weights?? Could be an indication of other issues in the near future...

Overall, the yr, and model the price is good, but no roady, and the 2.8 would worry me..

YMMV..
AnswerID: 65261

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:15

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:15
Once again, Trucksters taken the words right out of my mouth; and added a few more.
All I would have said was the bit about "keep on looking until you find a good 4.2".
There is more scope with the bigger donk. Out of the box the 2.8 with it's hairdryer and the naturally aspirated (ie: ashmatic) 4.2 were about the same in the power and fuel consumption department.
However, the 2.8 was already tweaked to the max, so to speak; whereas the 4.2 still had the option of the turbo and intercooler (Safari made a good set-up, but there were others too). With this added, the 4.2 would leave the 2.8 for dead.
FollowupID: 326258

Reply By: bulldog - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 08:01

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 08:01
Thanks to all those that offered such great advice i will pass on this info on to my friend.
AnswerID: 65284

Reply By: Rob! - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:28

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:28
Bulldog,

From experience, safety certficates (RWC) in QLD are not worth the paper they are written on. I don't believe in them, so I sold my last car without one and bought my new car over the border in NSW.

Basicly, you can sell the car without a safety certificate if you are selling it unregistered.

The reason I sold my car without one was that there were some small items that needed fixing but would be too expansive for someone else to do it, while I just didn't have the time for it. These were items like; the rear spray was clogged, the glass on the passenger side mirror was missing etc. The purcheser new what needed to be done and bought it with that in mind.

So I would be carefull, but I wouldn't totally dismisse it as a bad car. Find out what needs to be done for the safety certficate as you'll need it to get the car registered anyway.

Good luck

R.
AnswerID: 65383

Sponsored Links