jayco flight

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:34
ThreadID: 14158 Views:13531 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I was just wondering what all you guys think about Off Road Jayco Flight Camper Trailers. How they go off road, etc we are looking now at buying a second hand one.

Thank you :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jac - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:15

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:15
There so cheap you can afford to buy a second one when this one breaks, which it will, if you are talking serious lengthy off road trip. The off road versions are just prettied up and raised a bit.
AnswerID: 65246

Reply By: Member - Graham T (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 15:20

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 15:20
Hi,

Don't know about the flight. We have a Jayco Finch off road version (1997). First trip in July 1997 was Flinders ranges/Strzlecki track to Innaminka, Cooper creek to Birdsville via Arrabury/Cameron Corner/Betoota...Birdsville track/Maree/Mulloorinna/Lake Eyre/Oodnadatta track/Arkaringa/Uluru and back via the Stuart to home in Melbourne. Total repair bill to suspension $500.00 caused by carelessness on the Oodnatta track past william Creek. Second trip July 1998 Melbourne/Darwin/Kakadu/Cape Crawford/Borroloola/Cammooweal/Mt Isa/Birdsville/Home...no problems. Lots of smaller trips since then.

Look after the rig and drive according to road/track conditions and you should be OK. I've seen some whackers out there up and over the corrugations at 70-80Km and they wonder why their van falls apart, let alone the damage they do to the road and other users.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 65352

Reply By: michael - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:12

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:12
Hi Kriso, we have '95 Jayco Swift Offroad which has travelled to Middle Lagoon,dirt track across Dampier Peninsular back to Derby, Gibb RR. as far as Bells Gorge, out to Old Mormington of Gibb RR., Gulf Track to Karumba with trip into Lawn Hill, outback Qld. through Bedourie on Plenty Hwy. through to Arltunga on " Garden Track, I think it was called - very dodgy! ", Moreenie Loop ( check spelling ) from Alice to Uluru and Katajuta then home via nice vibe on Great Central Road to Laverton.
Also couple of trips to Winderabandi Pt. at Ningaloo and trip north of Onslow on very slow going heavily water eroded little used station tracks.
Touch wood, in all this travel the only repairs needed were to the fold down step which cracked and we had reinforced at Katherine back in '97. To this day we have never even had a flat or destroyed tyre on the van.
Only modification was Tregg Coupling which we put on at start of our ownership. Van was 1yr old when bought from elderly couple who did one trip with very conservative dirt road travel.
Some experts may suggest we have experienced a uniquely fortunate run with our van which probably they would classify as " soft " . I agree there are more seriously dedicated off road trailers but we purchased ours because of advantages of which I'm sure you are aware and we have been surprised and delighted with our holiday experiences.
Product standards do often change over time unfortunately but whether or not our good experience with our '95 Jayswift is attributable to an extremely good build or our application of old fashioned common sense in driving is for others to judge. I tend to believe it is a fair bit of the former but mostly the latter.
Hope this helps.
DRC commonsense is not yet available as a university degree.

AnswerID: 65376

Reply By: Gerry - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:10

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:10
Hi Krisco
Bought a Finch Outback from new in 2000 and just sold it recently. Did a heap of outback travel over some pretty rough terrain and only ever broke one shocker mount and a hinge on the stove lid (replaced under warranty). I was pretty impressed with mine, especially since I fitted an extra 60 litre water tank, large storage box and an extra 2 jerry can holders, so it was no light weight. Drive according to conditions and you should be fine.
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 65469

Sponsored Links