Tyre speed rating

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 19:37
ThreadID: 14160 Views:2771 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have been looking at what tyres I can put on my Terracan they have a speed rating of 106t but after looking at vic roads web site and coopers tyres I have found the following

From vic roads

for vehicles with a GVM of 4.5 tonne or less, with four or more wheels, the lesser of:

140km/h for a passenger car with special features for off-road use such as 4WD;
180km/h for any other passenger car;
120km/h for any other motor vehicle not described above;
the vehicle's top speed.

And coopers tyres web site

The Speed Symbol means the tyres are speed rated on an indoor test wheel. In Australia it is legal for any 4Wdrive to be fitted with a N rated tyre which is 140kmph, this may be lower than your original tyre. Speed ratings are completed under extreme conditions with excessive weights and at excessive speeds for extended periods of time

So what is the go will my insurance pay up if I put a 255 16 111s on my terracan can anyone explain what the go is

Thanks Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:40

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:40
Easiest way to make sure is to get the question answered by your insurance company, in writing.

However, my guess in this situation is that if it is a legal fitment then you won't have problems.

AnswerID: 65255

Reply By: XS Challenger - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 21:26

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 21:26
I had the same problems trying to find a tyre for the Challenger. The speed rating you will find is not the numbers just the letter eg 106t is Speed rating of t, the 106 is the Load rating. The load rating is the one you have to watch. It must be the same or better to be legal. As quoted above the speed rating as long as it is above 140km/h your right, so any letter greater then N, no problem.
The load rating thing can be a problem. Believe it or not the Load rating for the tyres on the challenger stops me from using tyres that you see on the much heavier Landcruisers and Patrols. Go figure. But because the tyre placard only says one size and one load rating I have to get tyres that are the same or greater Load rated.
Don't forget to look if your State has height restrictions as well. eg QLD you are only allowed to go 15mm up or down on theheight of the tyres quoted on the placard.
Well hope this helps

Richard
AnswerID: 65260

Sponsored Links