Ox hydraulic winch again

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 23:53
ThreadID: 14167 Views:2869 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just got the Ox in the ARB bar on the Pootrol. Seemed to work ok when it was installed by the local hydraulic hose fitter but only got to retreve the cable not under much load. Tried it out tonight and didn't appear to have much power. Was advised by Brian with a Patrol ARB and Ox fitted that the control levers on his were on the driver side of the winch. Contacted TJM and they told me the levers go to the passenger side as per the electric. Also said that the winch had valves so that the power was in one direction Can anyone that has one tell me what could be wrong. Also have the dump valve fitted which seems to isolate the power steering but gives no extra to the winch, possably less?
Thanks in advance Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goran - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 00:07

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 00:07
Mate, for what is worth here is my advice. Take the bloody thing back ASAP and get your money back. Go and get electric winch. OX is hopeless without lot's of modifications.
AnswerID: 65276

Follow Up By: lralfi - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 05:27

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 05:27
Hi,

@Goran, whit should be the advantage of an electric winch ? Which one is nearly as powerfull as an OX or an MM ? The electric winches in the 5-6 ton class are much heavier, a second batterie is a must and it cannot work for a long time.
I had several electric winches, the best one was WARN 8274, because of the speed and the 45 m cable. All my electric winches had a lot of problems at all. so I changed to a 5.7 ton Milemarker must be nearly the same as OX ?? No problems, more power, less weight. I'm happy.

I hope, I understood that question correctly (German) ?? There is not enough power ??
Do you use an external hydro-pump or a power take off at the steering.
My Winch needs about 130 bar and 15 l oil per min. The standard steering pump delivers only 65-75 bar, Toyota and Nissan a bit more, but normally not enough. I use a ZF 74 pump, it solved all problems :-)

Regards Ralf
FollowupID: 326282

Follow Up By: Goran - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 07:13

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 07:13
Well, main advantage of electric winch is abillity to winch without running the motor. Without dedicated hydraulic pump ( not power steering pump) hydraulic winches are pretty useless.
FollowupID: 326284

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:00

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:00
Goran,
I agree that the leccy winches will work without the motor running.....but I wouldn't like to do it for more than about 1 or 2 minutes under load; otherwise you'll never get the vehicle started again!
Just my opinion. I've got a Warn 9000 and wouldn't dream of using it without motor running except in major emergency (like somebody trapped underneath etc; heaven forbid!!!)
Gerk, sorry to hear this new set-up isn't going as well as it should. I've never heard (until today) that there was ANY issue with a standard Power Steering pump not having enough grunt to do the job properly. Funny how these sort of aspects only come to light after the decision has been made and the job completed.
I'll call over later today and see it for myself.
FollowupID: 326285

Follow Up By: Alex Callaghan - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 13:43

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 13:43
RE: hydraulic winchs.

Whats the advantage of the Hydro winch?

All I can think of is that Hydraulics can be used more continuasly with less operating temprature oposed to the lecys.
What are the other andvantages?
FollowupID: 326316

Follow Up By: Goran - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 23:51

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 23:51
I will take 2 minutes over dead winch half way in the creek crossing anytime. Do you know the ratio of winch type in off road competitions ?
50:1
FollowupID: 326393

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:05

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:05
I've got an ox and it rocks!!

i have found that dialling up the hand throttle just a little makes a BIG difference to the pulling power.

Is your steering pump in good nick??

is there any chance that you are 'turning' the steering wheel while winching??

even some weight on the wheel can cut out the winch, the idea is to turn the wheels, then leave it.

and yes the control arms should be on the passenger side
AnswerID: 65290

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:33

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:33
Hello the control levers are definately on drivers side on mine,maybe mines wrong ?? i stated before the diagram for the levers doesnt correspond to their correct working position maybe thats why,anyway the winch works fine.
but as earlier mentioned any turning of the steering reduces winching
happy travells.
AnswerID: 65302

Reply By: PerthGQ - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 18:56

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 18:56
Paul,
The best way is to have a dedicated DC powered hydraulic power unit under the bonnet. They're not too expensive and and work really well for hours. The mining companies use them to operate the jacking cylinders that raise Patrols and Cruisers off the railway lines, so they can drive along the train line. Definitely worth thinking about.. I am.
Regards,
Keith
AnswerID: 65401

Reply By: Member - Gerk Yorke Pen (SA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 22:30

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 22:30
Well, Thanks to those who replyed to the question. Roachie and myself have spent most of the afternoon and some of the night sorting the winch. Problem solvered we hope. Found the the installer???!! had connected the hydra lines incorrectly Hose from pump went to the wrong port on winch. Will be having a chat first thing in the morning. Once again thanks for the suggestions. BIG thankyou to Roachie for all the help cheers Paul.
AnswerID: 65443

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:03

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:03
Paul,
No worries.....you forgot to mention that the dude also filled the power steering box back up with hydraulic fluid instead of Dexron III fluid. Great move that was!!!

We'll now have to put it to a real test....

Cya
FollowupID: 326461

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:43

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:43
I've got the 10 000lb one on my Rodeo. Never had an issue with it and it is running from my power steering pump. Had to slightly modify my ARB winch bar for it to fit (had to make it sit lower in the bar to clear with rope fully on drum).

My levers are on the RHS.

I haven't done any seriously deep or fast flowing water crossings so don't worry about the issue of needing to winch in a hurry with a stalled motor but the DC pump sounds like a good idea.

I can use my winch all day long with only a 2 amp draw.

On mine the slightest movement from the steering wheel stops the winch but as soon as you let go it starts again. If I remember correctly the dump valve means you can winch and steer at the same time. Not to sure though.

Utemad
AnswerID: 65579

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)