Drysdale River Station reduced services

Hi All,
The Kalumburu Road is now open as far as Drysdale, it is not yet open to the Mitchell Falls.
Drysdale is open but not coping well. Lack of staff is the problem with to much work for to few people.
Regretfully we have just had to make the decision to reduce services offered.
We will be unable to supply any, accommodation rooms or any prepared meals at all at this stage.
Other services will remain open and once I get an update on our web site a full list of what is and isn't available will be shown on there.
So sorry for any inconvenience caused if you intend to travel to the North Kimberley but the lack of staff is huge issue, especially in the North where we all use seasonal workers.
We can only now cater to the trade that we can manage to serve.
cheers, Anne

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, May 07, 2021 at 23:47

Friday, May 07, 2021 at 23:47
Hi Anne, that's so unfortunate that the struggle for staff is undermining your business activities. The lack of backpackers around Aus because of COVID is causing huge problems in rural and regional Aus - down here in Tassie many of the agricultural businesses have been really hard hit.
Any point trying to fill the gaps by going on some of the grey nomad sites?
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636306

Follow Up By: Drysdale River Station - Saturday, May 08, 2021 at 00:10

Saturday, May 08, 2021 at 00:10
Yes my older employees are great. The jobs I have remaining are mostly hard backbreaking work making beds & cleaning. I'm old and I couldn't do that work anymore so wouldn't expect others in my age group to be able to do for long at all. Fill in days yes perhaps, full time no.
Also desperate for anyone who can cook well to give chef the day off.
We have been forced closed for last 18 months, due to the covid lockdown of remote communities our road was closed for all that time. Now we have more bookings than I have EVER seen before and we can't do them. Sickening !!!
All of Northern Aust is desperate for staff, there should be no fit person in Aust needing to be on jobseeker. If not fit enough to work then should be on a different benefit. As you say it's not only the tourism sector that has been hit. So what I want to know is why do we still have any unemployment figure at all with so many jobs available. cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 914190

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, May 09, 2021 at 22:58

Sunday, May 09, 2021 at 22:58
It’s not just a Northern Australia thing....a relative on the Gold Coast and a friends daughter in Brisbane have both mentioned they are severely lacking staff in the hospitality trade.
FollowupID: 914226

Follow Up By: breaka - Monday, May 10, 2021 at 18:58

Monday, May 10, 2021 at 18:58
yep sadly Australia runs on backpackers while we support Aussies who don't wanna work ie fruit picking get rid of the dole
FollowupID: 914244

Reply By: John Baas - Sunday, May 09, 2021 at 00:17

Sunday, May 09, 2021 at 00:17
Re the dearth of R&R available workers, maybe not in your case, but in general, lack of affordable local accomm might have something to do with it...
AnswerID: 636325

Follow Up By: Drysdale River Station - Sunday, May 09, 2021 at 00:24

Sunday, May 09, 2021 at 00:24
Hi John,
No doesn't apply here, we supply on site accommodation rooms and all meals at half the award set rate.
As the nearest town with alternate accommodation is 360 km away, no other option is possible !
Think it makes difference in ie: Broome where much of wage probably does has to go to accom costs.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 914214

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)