Snorkel for a petrol engine troopy

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:30
ThreadID: 14174 Views:2124 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My 4 litre petrol engine FJ45 troopy does not have a snorkel. Can anyone tell me whether it's a good idea to fit a snorkel, in my case.

I know that snorkels are fitted to most diesel engines. It would seem to me that when crossing a deep waterway if the water level reaches the sparkplug level the engine is likely to stop anyway, so how would a snorkel be of any advantage?
(except maybe if the vehicle is stuck waiting to be pulled out, at least the water would be kept out of the air intake, assuming that the snorkel connections are absolutely water tight)

I understand that snorkels are also advantageous for getting cleaner air up higher in dusty conditions.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:49

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:49
Hi T T, I would fit one just to get a lot cleaner air, as well as the water advatages. Not sure where the air intake is on the troopy but my 60 was under the guard so getting air out and up from the wheel, as I spend a lot of time on gravel roads, it made a big difference to the air cleaner services.
AnswerID: 65308

Reply By: Tom - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:12

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:12
Hi Troopy,

I know there's a lot of speculation about the benefits of a snorkel to fuel economy. All I can do is tell you about my experience.

I have a 4.2 ltr petrol FJ60 on duel fuel. I used to get approx 270 km to a tank of gas on the highway. The day I fitted a snorkel to my car with no other mods my economy rose to getting over 300km to a tank of gas, usually around 325km. We have a Jayco Lark camper trailer, and even when towing this I will still get almost 300km to the tank.

I speculated for years about whether to put a snorkel on or not, and it's only because I'm doing a trip to the Cape in 2 months that I finally did it. I wish now that I had done it years ago.

Hope this helps,

Tom.
AnswerID: 65318

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 19:40

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 19:40
Tks Tom for the info, I assume that the better fuel consumption results from the forced air down the snorkel whilst travelling?
FollowupID: 326490

Sponsored Links