Navigating to a waypoint

Submitted: Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 20:34
ThreadID: 141767 Views:5318 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

I'm new to ExplorOz and new to this forum. 1st impressions are that it's easy to use with clear maps that include amazing detail.

I have a question about turn by turn navigating.

I've created a personal waypoint at the intersection of a couple of 4WD tracks by using the cross-hairs on the map. When I try to navigate to the waypoint with driving "selected" the suggested route seems to stop where the 4WD track starts.

Is this normal, or is there a way around this ?

Thanks

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 21:32

Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 21:32
Firstly, welcome to ExplorOz and its forum.

Just to be clear, the app you are using is called Traveller, not ExplorOz, though the folk that run ExplorOz make it!

To your question .. If the app cannot determine a route in "driving" mode, try switching to "cycling". The routing engine may then see this as a navigable route. The only difference will be in the estimated time it takes to travel the route.

It is possible that changing to cycling changes the route entirely, taking routes that a bike can do but not a vehicle. If this is the case, try placing a waypoint where the 4WD track starts and use "driving" mode to get to that, then for the next segment from there to your desired destination waypoint make it cycling or even walking. This is covered in more detail in the User Manual on page 30.

This is a function of the on-line routing engine that the app developers have used, one that is used by many navigation apps, and not of Traveller itself. It has to do with what digital data has been fed to the routing engine by third parties, as in the people providing road and track data to the makers of the routing engine.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636423

Follow Up By: Member - Paul A23 - Monday, May 17, 2021 at 06:37

Monday, May 17, 2021 at 06:37
Thanks Frank. I appreciate your response, and will try what you suggested.

Paul
FollowupID: 914346

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:48

Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:48
Comment on Franks' quote : "try switching to "cycling". The routing engine may then see this as a navigable route. The only difference will be in the estimated time it takes to travel the route."

We are actually just working on a new feature to allow app users to see the avg speed calculation that the app is using for each segment before you press Accept AND give you the option of changing this speed value so that you can adjust for personal differences. eg. override the "predetermined" avg speeds used in all the modes calculations - driving, cycling, walking so that you can get faster/slower calculations for each - trail running, road cycling etc are all therefore better catered for. Coming soon in v6.3.0...
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914351

Sponsored Links