Loading etopo maps on an ipad

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2021 at 20:48
ThreadID: 141772 Views:5696 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have an iPad mini 2 with 121.75 GB free. Software version is 12.5.3
I have tried downloading the etopo offline maps but the download fails after two tiles are downloaded (the system reverts back to the download page). I can continue to load tiles but only one or two at a time. Is this a known issue with the software or is the iPad spec too outdated? Has anyone experienced this problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:53

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:53
If you look back you might find a few similar queries. Older iPads were light on for RAM.

Cheers

AnswerID: 636446

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 12:05

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 12:05
All the iPad Minis up to Mini 4 have only 2GB RAM which is below the recommended minimum for the Traveller app.

Mini 5 has 3gb which may be enough - it's the recommended minimum for a tablet, but 4GB is desirable.

There have also been issues possibly related to operating system upgrades which David (the developer) is investigating.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914361

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 18:20

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 18:20
To clarify the comment made by Frank above - the current version of ExplorOz Traveller has resolved the issue reported with the latest 2021 4th Generation iPad Airs (not iPad), which had a strange iOS bug that we've fixed in a workaround.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914537

Reply By: Member - Chris B54 - Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 18:15

Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 18:15
Hi Frank,

I eventually downloaded all the maps to the mini3, it only took me about 3 hours with the stopping and starting, compared to about 15 min onto my iphone X!!

I then did a few short trips near home with the mini3, and it was so slow to do anything! I eventually sent it back for a refund and will look at a later model ipad. My iphone x actually runs things very well, but I find the screen a bit small, and see that screen does not refresh after the cursor runs to the edge of the map!!

Also, do you happen to know a good solid phone mount for the dash? I have an isuzu MUX, and have done some online searches to find zillions of mounts to choose from!!

Many thanks, Chris
AnswerID: 636571

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 22:11

Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 22:11
Hey Chris,

You want a phone mount or a tablet mount? Phones are light and don't need much support. Tablets are heavier, move around more, etc.

I used a Ram X mount on a floor bracket. It's very good. I added a DIY phone mount to it, made from parts of a cheap generic phone mount found on eBay plus a bit of DIY metalwork. Don't know anything about mounting options in a MUX, sorry, except I'm sure you could devise something with a floor mount.

If you just want a phone mount, maybe a windscreen mount or if that doesn't appeal, one that uses a CD slot (if the MUX has one of those. I am told by my grandkids that CDs are sooooo last century. LOL)

Cheers

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914529

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 18:24

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 18:24
Chris - you mentioned "the cursor runs to the edge of the map"! I hope you've figured this out by now, but if not, this indicates that you don't have the lock ON to allow the map screen to lock onto your position. If you look this up in the Quick Start Guide (or even the full User Manual) its referred to as the GPX Lock. So on the map screen, you simply tap the symbol above the zoom +/- controls and when it is orange it will lock onto your position and keep it centre on the screen as you move. If the icon is not orange but is white then the lock is off. So tap it to turn it on.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914538

Follow Up By: Member - Chris B54 - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 14:44

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 14:44
Hi Michelle,

Thankyou very much for pointing this out to me, as I was beginning to worry, since I certainly think that EO is a very good piece of software and was wondering what I was missing!!

I have decided to just use my iphone x to run EO, and have found quite a useful piece of kit to mount my iphone in far RH corner of the dash, on an extended arm that I can easily and safetly reach and swivel to horizontal.

Also Michelle, before I update the iOS on my phone I wanted to ask if EO will be compatible to iOS 14.6, the latest version?
At the moment it is runing iOS 13.3 and EO works well. I will follow your great quick start guide and learn how to make my first trek up the West Coast from Perth to Broome through the Pilbara region!!

Many thanks again for enlightening me on using EO
Chris
FollowupID: 914569

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 12:53

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 12:53
Hi Chris, we've got no reason to believe the app wouldn't work on 14.6 and we've not had a single report of any problems so there's no known issues been reported. Our devices are on 14.5 so can't tell you first hand.I just found a link to what's changed between 14.5 and 14.6 and seems insignificant. See iOS 14.6 features
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914585

Reply By: Member - Chris B54 - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:36

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:36
Hi Frank,

That looks like a seriously good setup for your nav system!!! Lots of thought gone into it, and I see the RAM mounts are expensive but look very good? Do you have your other half in the pass seat with the electronics?

Im thinking I will just use my iphone X for this trip, but am not sure what mount to use. The MUX cab looks similar to your toyota cab there. I had tried the phone on an older windscreen mount, and found it quite distracting having something there in my field of view.
I was hoping there is something I can use on the dash, perhaps on the RHS of the dash in the corner? I have seen the magnetic mounts, but wonder if they would keep the phone while on the Gibb corrugations!!

In your profile you say Mt Hart? We are heading there for the 1st time from Broome in late June for a couple of nights! It sure looks very nice.

Best regards, Chris
AnswerID: 636587

Sponsored Links