navigation tablets

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 20:10
ThreadID: 141841 Views:6742 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
using exploroz and hema on an ipad but the ipad is getting old and slow and freezes up continuously so what tablet do you guys out there recommend needs to work offline
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 20:30

Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 20:30
A new ipad
AnswerID: 636572

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 21:18

Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 21:18
It seems that most problems reported here are from owners of low-end and old Apple devices.

On that basis I would recommend a higher end Apple device or a newer one or a mid level Android, such as a Samsung Tab S6 lite.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636573

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 17:11

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 17:11
I've recently updated from a old Samsung 8"tab to a Samsung Tab S6 Lite to run Oziexplorer etc and it is a pleasure to use. Fast as can be and the battery lasts for ages.
FollowupID: 914535

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 04:56

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 04:56
That's the joy of an iPad ........ it keeps on working !! We have an old one , which is slowing up like yours, and a newer one which is fine.
Our Mac is also 10 years old and can't accept many new apps. Such is life.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636575

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 07:39

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 07:39
Hi Doug h,

There is a previous thread regarding this subject, most of the problems reported were similar to what you are describing. The general response from “those in the know” is that the latest version requires a certain amount of RAM to work efficiently. So when you purchase your next tablet, no matter wether it is an Android or an Apple, you need at least 3 Gb of Ram, preferably 4 Gb.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636577

Reply By: RMD - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 08:30

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 08:30
Doug
I know there are devotees to Apple but Android is also an option. Frank suggested the Samsung s6lite but they seem to be close to $500. Although made in China, many tablets are, like Lenovo etc, there are many tablets available on the Banggood site, all Android, and around half the S6 price or less. Some may not fully access pur phone systems, if that is necessary, but for navigation most have GPS, BEIDOU , GLONASS and some also have Galileo as well. Personally I don't want to record tracks and have them stored as EO site. If navigation where phone sognals are not available, ie, real navigation, the offerings are cost effective. There are many options apart from those mentioned on this site. Of course check all specifications on any product being considered.
AnswerID: 636580

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 09:18

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 09:18
RMD is right - there are cheaper offerings out there, and if the full tracker function and combined benefits of the app in combination with the ExplorOz system are not important to you, then yes, you may find what you need at the lower end of the spectrum.

A point to note, however, is not just the presence of satellite based position fixing - GPS, GLONASS, BEIDOU, GALILEO - which most Android devices have. It is the ability of the device to manipulate EOTopo's vector maps. That is where the problem devices reported in this forum are falling short.

The Traveller page on this site says in System Requirements

[quote]
CPU/Processor & RAM
The difference between a cheap device and more expensive device is often the speed of the CPU and the type of System on Chip (SoC). This is not a “light app” so you should avoid using budget or older devices that are only designed for general everyday use for calling, browsing, or light apps. The quality of the hardware inside your device will have a very big effect on your satisfaction with the user experience. You’ll want the best CPU for processing speed, and the more RAM the better it will handle multitasking. Low RAM can result in freezing and even app crashing. A slow CPU can result in lagging and poor response.
[/quote]

The old maxim may well apply - you get what you pay for.

Shop carefully. Make sure you get one with at least 3GB RAM, preferably 4 or more, and a decent processor. It is easy to find out the RAM for a given device - it is a basic spec. Don't buy until you know it.
If you can't find what it is, walk away.

Determining the power of the processor is more difficult. Its name is a basic spec and easy to find, but how good it is is difficult to ascertain and is a subject for tech-heads above my pay grade. Accepting a cheaper device with a processor of unknown performance, even if it has the required RAM, is a bit of a gamble.

Caveat emptor.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914531

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 09:46

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 09:46
RMD, surely your not suggesting it's possible to travel around this country without a tablet or the like to track your every movement.
Dave.
FollowupID: 914532

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:26

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:26
Frank
Most devices I considered have 4 or more GB RAM and processor speeds as fast as some normally used units. If the map doesn't update before I finish blinking I can live with that. They must be driving fast in the outback to get ahead of the map and where they are. With my old GPS I slow down a bit on track so not to pass the screen update. When driving, how many multi tasking programs must it be able to run? Isn't the map what people want? Great if folk want to spend more on a fast multi capable device to use ALL Traveller features that is quite ok, but many just want to see where they are, or going.
With a cheaper device, either bought local or imported it is always a gamble, it may stop working , it might get damaged or stolen then it is a significant loss. Just trying to give options to those who want so navigation but not the high end or everything.

David M
Can it be done?

FollowupID: 914533

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 16:58

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 16:58
Its not so much about the moving map which moves only a few pixels at a time, RMD. It is more about poor-performing devices not being able to adequately scroll and zoom the map so that the planning and other functions of the app then become unuseable.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914534

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 17:14

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 17:14
I bought the Samsung S6 Lite because it was only $500!
Best tablet I've ever owned.
And yes, I won't buy Apple products
FollowupID: 914536

Reply By: pmk03 - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 10:08

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 10:08
Hi,
I'm using a Samsung A7 10" Tablet. It's only 3gb Ram but works really well for me.
We are running Traveller with the 2021 maps & very happy.
There's a little screen delay if you zoom or drag too quickly, just a second or two,but most of the time it keeps up if you easy with the input.
We don't run any other maps or programs except for Wikicamps, Fuelmap & Google occasionally (hot spotted to phone when in range) So it's not overloaded with stuff.
The whole package including Traveller with 2021 maps came in just over $400.00. Pretty good value for a budget set up that works well.
Cheers
Paul
PMK3AUSTRALIA
AnswerID: 636582

Reply By: Dusta - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 11:38

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 11:38
have you done a search of the forums. every second thread is someone asking about what tablet to use for exploroz
AnswerID: 636586

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 18:07

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 18:07
As Frank has mentioned above, and quoted from our recently updated System Requirements, the System on Chip (SoC) will be the difference between a high end tablet and a budget tablet. Yes it technical but if you're asking the question - there are tons of articles on Google to help you figure it out... sort of.

Here's some that I've just found in easy-speak language:-
The first 3 articles compare the latest tablets

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Article 4 looks at which phones have the best processors -
Article 4

Article 5 looks at Windows tablets processors -

Article 5
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636590

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 20:00

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 20:00
Hello Michelle.
The articles will sink most folk who wish to navigate but are not tech savvy. If you could post a set of parameters which run Traveller ok, then it will act as a guide for normal people to use when choosing a device. We already know 4gb Ram and storage sizes.
UNISOC. is a promoted feature of the processors. What is the difference between SOC and a UNISOC chipped device?
Thanks
RMD
FollowupID: 914539

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 20:28

Friday, May 28, 2021 at 20:28
I recently updated the System Requirements to be very clear on this (2 weeks ago?). It would be untrue to say any more and people would misinterpret the info. The way it is worded is accurate - go to ExplorOz Traveller webpage

Some of the earlier issues people have had in the past have been isolated and resolved which I can summarise as follows:

- Samsung TabS2 - there are 2 models (very old device circa 2015). One with the Snapdragon processor and the other with the Exynos processor. Samsung often does this - releases the same device in a budget version (Exynos) and high end version (Snapdragon). It is interesting that after a few months we figured out why some users could run the app and others not - it was the old Exynos processor!!

So this will play out again as new model Samsungs start to age. Eventually, the budget models will not cope the demands of modern advances in software/apps as the high end model.

The advice is clear - for best future longevity, a high end model will outlast a budget device.
But when buying new now, there should be nothing that Traveller cannot run on. It is built for today's device specs.

- Apple iPad Air 4th Gen - the latest 2021 model has a different GPU (a graphics processor) than other iPads and there was an issue with the 6.3 update of ExplorOz Traveller causing it to run slow. It was isolated to this specific device but was fixed in the iOS 6.3.1 update which not only addresses the iPad Air issues but has improved the performance for all devices by removing that tiny feature in the stylesheet.

There are no other reports of anyone experiencing device specific issues with ExplorOz Traveller on current devices.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914540

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 08:13

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 08:13
Is it possible to have a trial version of Traveller & 2021 maps? There are those of us that have existing units that they are happy with, but are reluctant to outlay the $100 in case it doesn’t perform.
FollowupID: 914542

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:56

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:56
Michelle,
The Exynos and Snapdragon examples are the type of info people can use to determine/decide when they purchase. Most read the info on the site and realize the GB requirement but other relevant info similar to what you mentioned is valuable.
Cheers
RMD
FollowupID: 914550

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 13:32

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 13:32
RMD that's exactly the type of info in the artices I link. I thought they were super simple articles - and served the purpose of being "a guide for normal people to use when choosing a device".
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914588

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 08:36

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 08:36
There is an old adage, “buy cheap, buy twice”

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636596

Reply By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 20:00

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 20:00
Panadol Osteo normally, but when they don't work, I pop a Palexia.

Sorry, couldn't help myself ;-) I used iPads for years but when I went to replace it recently, the ones with the sim card and gps were very hard to get hold of. So I lashed out on a top of the range Galaxy S7 tab. Have to say, ease of use so far is just as good as the iPad but battery life is way, way better. All the mapping programs seem to work just as well.
Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636610

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:06

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:06
Rusty Iron
Yes, navigation can be a pain if you don't have the right tablet!
FollowupID: 914564

Sponsored Links