snail trail problems

Submitted: Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 12:26
ThreadID: 141860 Views:5154 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
recording intermittently and incorrectly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 12:30

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 12:30
Hi - more information required, otherwise turns into a guessing game - what program are your using, version number, what device are you using it on, more details on issue (track settings, how intermittent, how incorrect, did it work before etc etc etc.)

Cheer
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 636599

Reply By: Member - Pam H4 - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 12:52

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 12:52
I am using a new IPad mini bluetoothed to a Dual XGPS150. The GPS satellite signal is fine according to the DUAL app. Screenshot below. I think this has started happening since i downloaded the App update so I am wondering if I should delete the app and start again?
AnswerID: 636600

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 13:33

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 13:33
I don't have an Ipad or the EO maps but to be that looks like a GPS that isn't locked in, or it is using the wifi as the location signal.
FollowupID: 914547

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:27

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:27
Were you stationery for a while at that location?

That, to me, looks like a poor position fix which Traveller records as the apparent position jumps around while the receiver is actually stationery. I have seen it on my tablet too.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the Traveller app. It is about the quality of the position fix that Traveller has received from your GPS device. Does your Dual XGPS150 app give you an indication of how many satellites it is using and the HDOP? If so, what are the numbers?
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914549

Follow Up By: GarryR - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 16:12

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 16:12
We had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Thinking it was the ipad, we purchased a new one and started again, but same thing again happened. We ended up purchasing and external gps locator and wifi 'ed it to the ipad. Since doing so we have not had a problem. The external unit was a Garmin Glo. I am led to believe the Bad Elf unit is even better than the Garmin Glo, and even far more accurate. Hope this helps a little.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914555

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 17:20

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 17:20
Pam,

"I don't believe it has anything to do with the Traveller app. It is about the quality of the position fix that Traveller has received from your GPS device. "

I am not being critical of your device - I have done a quick search and it seems to be a quality unit. Were you under trees? What was the cloud cover? Was it raining? A combination of all three? Something degraded the GPS signal at the time this occurred.

TBH, I would not worry about unless it recurs frequently in known favourable circumstances which may indicate a faulty device.

Favourable circumstances? Basically a wide, clear view of the sky. Other less important factors are tree cover, heavy cloud cover, rain and other precipitation. But presence of all those to one degree or another can combine to reduce the quality of a GPS fix - although with my Samsung devices they don't seem to make much difference. I get the "dancing GPS" only when the device is inside and away from a window (2 storey house - that makes a difference too).
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914556

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 18:14

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 18:14
I have a Dual XGPS150 and even if it falls on the car floor it still gives an accurate signal. My guess is is that the Dual XGPS150 is OK but on your device it is not configured correctly. Your screen shot is not showing the speed box which is what makes me think this. the easy test is go for a walk with the device if it is not showing the correct speed (walking pace) then it is not seeing the Dual XGPS150. The Dual XGPS150 has a little toggle switch next to the charging port it needs to be to the right or away from the charging port for Apple devices. (Left for non-Apple devices)
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636607

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 18:37

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 18:37
Hi PH

The Dual XGPS150 is a very good GPS,

Probably dumb questions but

Do you have Location services for the App set to always on?

Was the app running all the time?

Is the GPS in the best possible position, E.G.on the dash.

Was the GPS Bluetooth indicating it was connected the iPad & vice versa?

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636608

Follow Up By: Member - Pam H4 - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:42

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:42
Thanks,
Location services always on
App running all the time
GPS on the dash - Status tool app indicates good signal
Bluetooth seems to stay connected but Status Tool app disconnects all the time and only reconnects when I re-open it? Maybe I need to test the bluetooth connection to the traveller app as well- how can I do that?
If you use the Status tool app do you know what the small button on the top right does? - the lock/unlock Button
FollowupID: 914562

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 11:49

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 11:49
Pam,

Has it actually worked properly previously?

Some things to try.

Do a forced reboot of the mini.

Completely disconnect (forget this device) then re-pair the GPS.

Plug the GPS into constant power or at least ensure it is fully charged, same with the mini.

Pretty sure the status tool App won’t be the problem, try to use Traveller without it being open.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914567

Reply By: Member - Pam H4 - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 16:02

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 16:02
Thanks everyone for your help.
My problem was finally resolved by implementing advice from Michelle.
This was:

I think there is also an old iPad issue with the GPS not restarting after its been paused. Go to Settings - and then go into the Advanced Settings and select Activity Recognition Settings. The last 2 options - are “disableStopDetection” and “disableMotionActivity Updates”. By default both of these should currently be set to “false”. Please change both of these settings to “true”. This may resolve the issue you are having with the old iPad as some models did not use activity detection and don’t need this setting.

This worked - but folks might like to know that the need to change these settings applied to my new iPad mini 5 - and does not apply only to "old" iPads.
Thanks again, Pam

AnswerID: 636630

Sponsored Links