constant snail trail, auto on/off, what "Traveller settings?"

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 15:51
ThreadID: 141868 Views:5182 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I am about to head off on 6 or 7000 klm's & I would like a constant snail trail of the whole trip. After watching the official video, my Samsung tablet doesn't show "auto on like the video, just shows auto off" can I add "auto on"? will that automatically cover the whole trip? Any advice would be greatfully appreciated, thanks
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 16:57

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 16:57
Hi Aussie

Have you downloaded "Tracker" ....... from the products list ? That's what I use.
Make sure it's turned on and after the trip just set the dates of the trip and a wonderful snail trail will be generated. It may take a couple of days if you have spent quite a while travelling.
It also generates the stops you make in order, which can be handy.

Michelle or a mod can assist you much more than I can.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636616

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 17:55

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 17:55
thanks, I already have tracker installed...

AnswerID: 636617

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 21:58

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 21:58
Aussie,

You DON'T need both the Tracker app AND the Traveller app. Traveller will do it all for you. Download the Quick Start Guide from the User Manual section in theTraveller page . Tracking is on page 16 under "Create Track Logs".

Your device will not display an infinite snail trail. It only displays about the last 100km or so. (Actually the length of the snail trail is not measured in km. It is measured in the number of points displayed - about 10,000 IIRC what David said, but that's neither here nor there.) However ALL the snail trail data for the whole trip is stored in the device. You can use Method One to extract a Track log from a range of dates and save it in the device. Once saved it will also sync to your member account.

Because you're a member, you can use method Two to switch "auto" tracking on. Your track log will be automatically and progressively saved to your account. If internet is not available the tracking data is buffered in your device, then uploaded when internet is available.

Following either method you can then go into your account via My App Control Panel on the Traveller page to access the Track Log at a later date.

From experience, I suggest that if you use method two, you save your Track Logs in sections - say every couple of days or whatever is logical for you. That way if a glitch happens you have only part of your trip record spoiled, not the whole thing. Afterwards you can then load all the parts into your device or into the web app to display the whole trip as if it was one single record.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636619

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 06:57

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 06:57
Hi Frank and Aussie

What exactly should I turn off or on when I start a trip and I want to have a detailed record of all the roads and stops made.

On my last trip I had a couple of "straight" lines at the beginning, when I may have not got things going or right because of distracting overnight stays.
Obviously you need "Tracker" going, (" Enabled"), and do you need "Traveller" going as well ?
What particular settings do I need for "tracking" to take place automatically whenever I start driving ?

Apologies Aussie for using your thread.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914575

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:10

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:10
Hi Jim,

**What exactly should I turn off or on when I start a trip and I want to have a detailed record of all the roads and stops made.**

If I want a clean start for a new trip, this is what I do:
- First, in Traveller I switch OFF Tracker (first item in the menu) as soon as I have finished a trip. I don't want suburban driving to be recorded. You can leave it on if you want.
- Then View Tracking (second item in the menu) and save or delete the track. This resets the tracker function so that the current trip is not saved with the next.
- If I want tracking to be recorded immediately, I switch the tracker back on in the Traveller menu. Otherwise I leave it off until I get to the start point of my trip, where I switch it on. (To eliminate recording suburban or other unwanted details.)

**On my last trip I had a couple of "straight" lines at the beginning, when I may have not got things going or right because of distracting overnight stays.**

If you leave the tracker switched on when you shut down the Traveller app, then later drive to somewhere and THEN start the Traveller app, the tracker will record that as a straight line. To avoid that, remember to start Traveller before you drive off, or switch the tracker off and leave it off until you want to start recording.

**Obviously you need "Tracker" going, (" Enabled"), and do you need "Traveller" going as well ?**

The tracker function is part of the Traveller app, so you need Traveller to be running with the tracker function enabled (first item in the menu) to record your journey. Traveller can be running in the background and it will still do its job. IE, Mrs Jim S1 could be doing emails or photos or a phonecall or texting or whatever on the device while you are driving, and provided you started Traveller beforehand and enabled the tracker function your journey will be recorded.

You DO NOT need to be running the separate Tracker app that is also available from the app stores.

**What particular settings do I need for "tracking" to take place automatically whenever I start driving ?**

Just leave Tracker enabled in the menu. That way it will start tracking as soon as you open the Traveller app. Bear in mind that if you open the app after you've started driving you will get a straight line from the point where you closed the app to the point where you just opened it.

Cheerss

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914578

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:16

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:16
Thanks very much Frank.

That clears up things for me very well ........ now all i have to do is REMEMBER !!!

I'll copy these notes and keep them handy.

Many thanks
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914579

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:24

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:24
Jim,

The Quick Start Guide (link in previous posts) covers it pretty well, and of course, so does the full manual.

Some printers offer an automated "print booklet" option where they will print a document in double-sided A5 (half A4) size. If you have such a printer, I suggest you do that for both the Manual and the QS Guide, fold them in half and staple at the spine. In A5 size they take little room, and are readily available for quick reference. Better than reading a PDF on a screen, IMO.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914580

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:40

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:40
Thanks once again Frank

I do have both manuals printed and saved in booklet form (A4) and they are in a large binder which also has many "manuals" and other info which one collects.

Your advice has cleared things up for me perfectly, even though I had read the manuals.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914581

Follow Up By: Member - Kia1 - Sunday, Jun 06, 2021 at 16:47

Sunday, Jun 06, 2021 at 16:47
What a fantastic description, explained so well even I can follow.
Well done, thanks.
Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 914660

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:03

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:03
thank you very much Frank, I shall try that!

AnswerID: 636621

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:08

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:08
Aussie,

You were typing your Reply as I was editing my Reply above. Maybe re-read my Reply, it has some more info in it.

Cheers mate
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914572

Sponsored Links