Pinjar near Perth

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 19:14
ThreadID: 14191 Views:6195 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
One for the Sandgropers. Can anyone CONFIRM if and where 4WD's can use the pine forests at Pinjar and Gnangara? Depending on who you talk to, I've heard that these areas are for motorbikes only, and that is what the signs indicate, however many fourbies also comment on the great times to be had 'at the pines'. Where the bloody hell are these places!!
Thanks in advance..Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gonebush - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 20:20

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 20:20
You can use the Pinjar and Gnangara pine plantations for Off Road Vehicles ...4WD and motorbikes. Off Pinjar Rd & Gnangara Rds.

This from the CALM website:

"The public has four-wheel drive access to most areas managed by the Department of Conservatin and Land Management. Subject to conditions, four-wheel drive vehicles can be used in all National Parks and other areas managed by the department. Four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended for access to the more remote or difficult areas such as those listed below:
..........NPs

In addition, there are currently two gazetted Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) areas on department-managed lands near Wanneroo.

Gnangara pine plantation - area as signposted
Pinjar pine plantation - area as signposted "

Perth GQ........There are maps on the CALM website. Also contact CALM Wanneroo 9405 0700 who manage the areas.

AnswerID: 65412

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 20:46

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 20:46
Hi PerthGQ,

As mentioned above, that area is fine to 4X4 in. Heres a link to a track in the area that area from an old website of mine.

Pinjar Hillclimb

Was on this particular track only a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 65417

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:19

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:19
Captain,
Had a look at that Hill Climb info may have a go at that one, have you got any other little trips like that up your sleeve? Local (ish). Thanks in anticipation
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 326467

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:55

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:55
Hi Martyn,

Here is a link to tracks already posted.

tracks page

I haven't been on some of these for some time, so directions "may" be out of date (these were all done before GPS was afforadable and in widespread use).

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 326471

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:30

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:30
Captain,
Great thanks.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 326478

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:19

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:19
Hi Keith I was up there last week.It ok for 4x4 but not very challenging,mainly flat sandy firebreaks and the occasional mudhole.The area inside the plantation has been fenced off into large areas which can only be accessed by a single opening so its not impossible to get a little lost and find yourself following long fences to find the way out,but its fun with a carload.
The limestone roads are shown in the steet directories.
I understand its set aside for motorbikes as well but there is a definate lack of supervision with kids as young as 12 hitting 80-90 klm,overtaking and riding on the wrong side of the road on the main track off Gnangara rd.
There is also a problem with young riders crossing the limestone roads at speed without bothering to look for oncoming cars.
Its best to go deep in and get away from the bikes but you still have to be careful of oncoming riders racing on narrow tracks with blind bends.

It only seems like yesterday but it was 25 years ago I was doing the same thing in the same place on my mx bike when it was illegal to be in there.

AnswerID: 65424

Reply By: PerthGQ - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:26

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:26
Thanks fellas,
Thats really great info and very much appreciated. I'm looking forward to checking them out (now I know where I'm going).
Regards..Keith
AnswerID: 65425

Follow Up By: michael - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 20:35

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 20:35
Keith, be warned many drongos use these places and believe they are the only ones on the limestone roads. I went to a head-on at 0630 hrs one freezing cold July morning a few years back - two cars, one rolled, male with broken femur. Not a happy motorist. For FRS to access these places with rescue gear it can be very slow going with 12 tonne two wheel drive fire trucks on some very holed limestone tracks. As we found this particular day, directions can be frustratingly, very sketchy.
Incidently, both vehicles were old two wheel drive cars.
Go easy
Michael
FollowupID: 326733

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:59

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:59
G'day guys,

The track that Captain mentions that follows the transmission lines north from Gnangara Rd has been fenced off about 5 km in from Gnangara Rd. This happened just recently (week or so).

There are also signs up saying the motorbike area is to be closed for the next couple of months whilst they do something (forget what the sign actually says).

So I'm not sure if the gate is a permanent thing, or just while the goings on occur.

Hopefully it's not another permanent closure!
AnswerID: 65553

Follow Up By: sixten - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:42

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:42
Turn right at the new gate. Keep going for 5=600 meters and you will find an open gate (cut). Go through turn hard right and go back along the fence and you are back on the other side of the new gate.
Worked last weekend.
Cheers
FollowupID: 326676

Follow Up By: sixten - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:45

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:45
Sorry guys should be "TURN LEFT at the new gate"
FollowupID: 326678

Sponsored Links