Aftermarket turbos

Submitted: Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 14:55
ThreadID: 14204 Views:1814 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Is there any truth in the rumour that you void manufacturer's warranty if you add an after market turbo to a Toyota vehicle (say a 78 series Landcruiser Ute)?

I've been told by my local mechanic that if you add a turbo Toyota "washes its hands" of you and your vehicle.

I've also been swamped with after market Turbo horror stories along the lines of blown motors, wrecked/burnt out pistons, destroyed clutches and wrecked drive chains (" The standard bits aren't made to handle the extra power and things will start to break, mate, don't do it!")

I'd be interested in other people's experiences and whether thare's any truth in any of this or are they all rural (rather than urban ) myths.

Cheers

Mario
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 15:11

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 15:11
I would be VERY surprised if any manafacturer would honour warranties especially on the motor if an aftermarket turbo was added. If your talking about Toyota in regards to horror stories there may be some truth in them for the motor(1hz) as it seems this motor is not desighned for turbocharging. Even Toyotas first effort at turboing the 1hz in the 80 had to be pulled from the market not to return until the 100. This motor is not the same and has differences the same as the 2h and 12ht which was alot more than just bolting a turbo onto a 2h. The drive train should be up to the task nevertheless. Nissan 4.2 donks as far as I know can be turboed and probably should be
AnswerID: 65516

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 15:12

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 15:12
Its no Rumor . . . . Add a turbo . . . void the warranty.

As for destroying things . . . . depends on what you are doing and who does it.

PLENTY of folks fit turbo's to Patrols , Cruisers and Hiluxes , with NO problems whatsoever.

I cant see how it would be possible to destroy a Cruiser or Patrol anyway. They are the same motors and gear , just without the turbo's.
AnswerID: 65517

Reply By: joshinthecity - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 15:25

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 15:25
The key here, is not to do stupid with the bost pressure.
Personally, I'd be looking at 7psi on a motor in good nick as a safe place to be.

Josh * that said, I ran my 200sx at 20psi all day every day *
AnswerID: 65521

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:19

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:19
Mario,

To be perfectly honest, I had these sort of stories told to me as well. They usually come from people who've heard that from someone else who heard it on the news.

When I first had my Schwiezer fitted to my GQ TD42 Patrol, I also ran 7psi as a precaution. It had a bit of go, but didn't really do anything up high, I could hear the turbo but wasn't at all happy with the end result after spending 4 grand.

I went to Brisbane Turbos and chatted to John and he recommended a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system, upgraded fuel pump and some other little secrets which I won't devulge so that my power output can remain a mystery.

After the dyno, I have 124 kw at the rear wheels or 165 hp. Lots and lots more than your gu 4.2TDI's etc. I have now done 55,000 k's since that upgrade and run 12psi all the time. With the right system, you can have reliability, great towing and overtaking power, without causing some of the things you referred to. I get 8.5k's the litre no matter what sort of driving I do and no matter how much I push the loud pedal or try baby it. Runs around 200-250 degrees around town and 350 on the highway.

My suggestion would be to speak to someone reputable regarding your own personal situation, use and type of vehicle and then do what you feel is best.

Good luck, and if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Chris.
AnswerID: 65531

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:18
Big secret.. Going from 7psi to 12psi would make it a different car.

Going from that miserable 7psi that Schwitzer only warrant to, to 9psi on mine made it a different car...

Mark used to work at ARB sth, had his Denco system to 20psi all day long... It would smoke 35's all day!
FollowupID: 326496

Follow Up By: Flash - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 07:11

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 07:11
Chris,
Am about to have my son's GQ done in two weeks by John at Brisbane Turbos. (Booked it in yesterday) Any tips, suggestions, recommendations, afterthoughts etc would be hugely appreciated.
Regards and thanks
FollowupID: 326547

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:48
Truckster,

Dude, I'd be impressed if you could get 124kw at the wheels on your beast with just 12psi,no anaroid and no intercooler...Let me know how you go without running out of fuel when up it...and also keeping your temps within a reasonable area.

As for 20psi, that'd be real cool, imagine it would fry 35's as I fry 33's without much trouble at all...
FollowupID: 326571

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:50

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:50
Flash,

My email address is cm@btlawyers.com.au. Send me an email asking what you want to know and I'll get back to you off the forum!

Cheers mate,

Chris.
FollowupID: 326572

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:29

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:29
Mario,
As others have stated if you start adding major components the warranty will be void. Like fitting bigger tyres on a 3 litre turbo and the motor blows, good luck!!! I fitted a Safari Turbo to my 4.2 GQ after I'd given it a major overhaul, did a few little bits including a mandrel bent 3 inch pipe, went like a dream no problem at all, made a huge diffrence when towing my off road camper and doing certain off road stuff, sand driving. gave me that little bit extra when using my lockers, I needed it. If you go a bit daft with boost and abuse the motor you will get the same result no matter what vehicle you fit one to. My opinions etc etc.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 65533

Reply By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:42

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:42
I don't know about warranties (what kind of manufacturer warranty can 78 cruiser have anyway?) but I have seen some real damage back in the street drag days. It usually happens when people get too hungry for more power wtih standard engine internals, so they hit on the boost and something's gotta pop! You can extract very very high amount of power from your engine, but as you go you have to think about whole drvietrain plus your engine internals. If you want more boost, reduce compression ratio, put forged pistons etc. But for sure stock engines can handle small amounts of boost. And of course as they already mentioned above, be carefull who does it.

P.S. You should see what 47 psi does to CA18 from nissan exa after one 1/4 mile run!!!
AnswerID: 65548

Reply By: Member - Navman (QLD) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 18:17

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 18:17
Hi Mario,

I have had an aftermarket turbo fitted to my 3.2 litre Navara from near new, yes it is true that you manufacturer's warranty is void, but the dealer that fitted the turbo for me took over the remaining time left on the warranty and covered the motor, Nissan still covered the rest of the vehicle.
As for the horror stories I am unsure, I couldn't be more happier with the performance of the Navara(2000 model) with 110,000 K she hasn't missed a beat !!

Regards
AnswerID: 65557

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:23

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 20:23
So you have a new 78 series and are already unhappy with the power?

So you expect Yota to warrant a car that has been fitted with a power up (Turbo) item that increases pressure, temps, and other things?

Yea... urban myths.
AnswerID: 65575

Follow Up By: Mario - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:59
To Everyone who answered

Thank you all for your detailed input. I can now make a considered decision one way or the other.

Cheers

Mario
FollowupID: 326562

Sponsored Links