Rig weight

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:28
ThreadID: 14244 Views:1726 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I recently had my rig weighed at a public weigh bridge. This sparked some research on my part on the spec's for both the OR camper trailer and my Jack.
I found that with the boat and all the goodies loaded on the trailer I am right on the registered load limit for the trailer.
The surprise was when I determined the load limit for my Jack.
All up the entire rig is a little over 3.5 tonnes.
I have checked some of the larger 4wd's and their max loaded is naturally greater but still not that good if all the goodies are in/on the 4wd (no camper).
Given that most find they have to beef-up the suspension, is that where the limit comes from or are there still other areas that require attention due to the large loads.
How many people have had their rig weighed and are they within the registered limit?

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:07

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:07
My old truck's GVW is 2764kgs. Last year I weighed it with a full load of camping gear, water and 230lts fuel and it came in at 2446kgs. Add tucker and two humans and the weight increases to 2700kgs. Now for long trips I have to add another spare wheel and at times an extra 140lts fuel. That(165kgs) will put the truck about 100kgs over the limit. If I tow the trailer I have to add another 500kgs towing weight. Being the 100kgs over weight is at the optimum time when one refuels. Mostly I will be within the weight limit using up fuel and tucker.

I have not had to beef up the suspension but I did have the rear springs reset a while ago and have had a new set manufactured for the front.

I am sure that being slightly overweight is not going to affect the handling of the vehicle. The chances of being stopped and weighed are neglegible as Road Traffic authorities concentrate on the big end of the scale....B doubles and Road trains. Insurance problems do not affect me as I have no insurance.
AnswerID: 65782

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 12:32

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 12:32
Wim,

you got a pretty good response from Willem there. It almost appears that Toyota and Nissan don't allow a tray or anything much on it for their GVM numbers. Yes, I have had it weighed. I understand a fully equipped LC100 comes in at close to 4 tonnes too without a trailer.........
AnswerID: 65794

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 14:59

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 14:59
I've have been asked those sort of questions quite a few times.
As far as being overladen affects your insurance, technically it does, but who checks although I think that this will come down the track as rego authorities and insurance co's realise what is going on.
As has been stated nearly every 4wd set up for touring will be overladen despite the fitment of heavy duty suspension. As owners have found getting the vehicle engineered to a higher GVM is possible as long as the combined load rating of front and rear axles isn't exceeded and appropriate tyres and suspension are fitted.
The problem may be however that your insurance company may not like the changes.
If you look at most spec sheets for late model cruisers and patrols you will find in some instances that the GVM is only a few hundred kilo's heavier than the tare so it isn't hard to exceed the GVM with a few accessories and bums on seats.
I get asked about the weight of my Humvee quite often, at 2.7t (weighbridge for rego with fuel and all fluids) it is often less than some of the larger 4wd's.
AnswerID: 65803

Reply By: Member - Nobby - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 17:54
Wim, I was surprised on the weekend when I went to the dump with a load of leasve in the back of the Jack, half tank of fuel, one adult and not much weight in leaves and it weighed in at 2.22t. Didn't think they were that heavy.
AnswerID: 65814

Reply By: phil - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 18:07

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 18:07
My Mazda Bravo TD with a steel tray, a full tank, steel bullbar, and just me in it comes to 2.00 tonne.
That's about 350 KG over the specification for the same model with a ute back!

Phil
AnswerID: 65816

Follow Up By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:50

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:50
My Rodeo is 1680kg standard. But with me 80kg, a canopy, steel winch bar with winch and towbar and completely empty it weighs just over 2 tonne.
FollowupID: 326729

Sponsored Links