60 series leaky injection pump

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 13:13
ThreadID: 14251 Views:3897 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone out there had this problem with a 62 series 2H motor? The injection pump is leaking a small amount of diesel from the unions on the top of the injection pump. Is it common, will tightening the unions fix it or am I better off just leaving it alone?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: crayman - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 13:31

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 13:31
From memory there is a soft copper washers either side of the bangeo fitting nip it up dont over tighten if still leaking get two new ones fix prob
Maurie
AnswerID: 65796

Follow Up By: hellforester - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 13:36

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 13:36
Does this apply to the join type on top of the injection pump (ie. where the pipes screw into the block of the pump), I'm not sure if that is the same as a banjo nut type set up. Also do you know much about oil filter seal blowouts on these motors, I hear its caused by a sticky oil pressure regulator. -- thanks Maurie
FollowupID: 326709

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 15:25

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 15:25
Hi. If the leak you are talking about is from the unions that the injector pipes fit to , these are the delivery valve holders and some times weep a little. Suggest you loosen the injector pipes and nip up the unions. Some of these holders require a special spanner or socket so you may not be able to do yourself unless you are an engineer.
If nipping them up does not stop the leak you will have to replace the seals under the unions which mat be either a hard nylon or copper, these are special washers for the pump.
Good luck
Ray
AnswerID: 65805

Reply By: Moz - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:08
The unions for the injector pipes are a compression type fitting, so just try to nip them up only. Overtightening could result in a split pipe and more work. If nipping them up doesn't work you may have to remove the suspect pipe anyway and inspect the end for any damage.
And yes the oil filter blow out can be caused by a jammed oil pressure relief valve.
This can jam because of lack of oil changes or just plain old and worn.
Happened to me not long after I bought my old 75 troopy.
Fixed it by removing the releif valve piston which is on the driver's side of the motor
towards the front under the power-steering pump. There is a large bolt (22mm?) on the side of the block. Very awkward to get to in the troopy may be easier in a wagon. Remove the bolt and the spring and piston should be behind it.
Inspect the piston and check for scoring and wear marks (mine was old and worn).
I replaced the piston and spring (fairly inexpensive genuine) and cleaned out the bore in the engine. I did this by using very fine (1200) wet and dry.
Cleaned the bore out thoroughly with solvent cleaner. This bore is part of the oil pump which is a major job to detach from the engine to fix on the bench.
Fortunately this 'quick fix' worked and I put another 50k on 300k engine without any more problems. Otherwise the oil pump would've had to come off.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 65850

Reply By: Bros - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 23:58
hellforester,
If you are talking about where the delivery pipes come out of the top of the injector,
then i had a leak there and the local diesel bloke said that the nylon washers under the pipes were shot and needed replacing. He done this and no more problem since roughly 3 years ago.
Cheers
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 65897

Sponsored Links