Three questions

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:35
ThreadID: 14259 Views:1371 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Question 1.

I was speaking to someone the other day about placing aerials on the front of bullbars. Can anybody shed some light on this subject as to the legality of this practice?

Question 2.

I have noticed of late that a lot of new model cars in particular Toyotas and subarus have the extra driving lights mounted into the bumpers. Can these lights be turned of at will or do they come on whenever the headlights come on or am I just exceeding my fair share of arogant bastards who fail to dip their lights when coming towards me?

Question 3.

I have been studying the maps from around the Daintree area. Some of the maps that I have show the road up to Cape Tribulation as a dirt road and others show it as a sealed road. Has anybody been there lately and can give me the latest info?

Thanks in advance

Merv
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:46

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:46
Hi Merv
The road to the Cape is sealed. unsealed north of the cape
Ray
AnswerID: 65831

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:51
G'day Swerv'n

1. As far as I know it's okay to have aerials on your b/bar as long as they are no thicker than 30mm diameter. In general, anything that "THE MAN" considers to be a hinderance to your forward vision is fair game for them to ping you for.

2.As far as I know those bloody fog lights are wired so the parkers (at least) have to be on but they can still work when headlights are also on; either high or low beam. Doesn't mean I agree with it, though...

3. When we went up there 2 years ago, pretty sure that road was gravel.

AnswerID: 65832

Follow Up By: Swerv - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:56
Thanks Roachie for the info.Also thanks to Kiwi Ray.

I'm just wondering how having the aerials mounted on the front compared to say having them them mounted on a rack in the centre of the the vehicle would effect the groundplane and the transmission range of the radio

Merv..
FollowupID: 326731

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 20:05
Merv,
Most aerials these days are ground plane independant, so it doesn't matter much where you mount them. However, in the middle of the roof would be better simply because the vehicle itself would not be impeding a signal coming from behind you. I have my UHF on the b/bar and I don't seem to get as good range as other blokes in our club, but that could just be the fact i have an old Uniden (I believe the majority of forumites who say that GME are a better radio....so if mine ever packs up it'll be replaced by a GME). The others who get better/longer-distance reception than me also have b/bar mounted aerials, but different brands; so it could be that too.

It's not a huge problem, but it is a bit frustrating when someone else in our convoy is talking to another vehicle, say 6 klicks away, and I'm the only one who has to ask "what'd he say???"

Cya mate.
FollowupID: 326732

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 22:03

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 22:03
Merv

UHF Aerials (Non tech Stuff)

In essence the aerial is the 'core business' end of your radio setup. It will make or break the efficiency and effectiveness of what you hear and speak on radios (GME, Uniden, Icom) ,that for the sake of this thread we will ACCEPT are in 100% functioning mode, equal in output etc etc (Yep I know there are big differences, but we are talking aerials) .

Roachý is correct that unimpeded on top of the vehicle is best, however it will cause major headaches with over head object strike. If you don't wipe it off, it will bend over and not return to the perpendicular. I have experienced this twice with bullbar mounted aerials. Of course it depends on how far they get bent over and the quality of the spring base.

If you mount them on the bullbar, try and use the left side so that there is no argument that it is interfering with drivers line of sight.

Make sure that the mounting platform is on the vehicle side of the bullbar and not protruding on the front of it.

Avoid placing it side by side with another aerial (Eg CDMA) because contrary to popular opinion they will interfere with each other, regardless of being on different frequencies.

Now the next trick is to select the correct DBF gain for you situation. I am not going to recommend anything here, however what ever you choose will have a direct impact on the product your radio generates. So seek advice re same concerning the conditions you will be operating in and select wisely.

Now the last thing that is critical is the the method that is used to connect the coax cable into the antenna base.

Don't select anything that is not hard soldered or machine crimped into the base.

There is one type that has a little brass do-da that just slips in and is basicaly held there by friction. Cause more problems than a copper in a brothel.

Also don't buy the wire 'coat hanger' type as corrugated roads give them metal fatigue and they regularly breakoff . I had one of these. Good antenna, however I had to replace the aerial section twice because of the metal fatigue thing, so I went to a fibreglass one.

This will give you something to chew on so to speak.

Regards

Ken Robinson

FollowupID: 326743

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:01

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:01
Ken,

Am interested in your commentary on UHF antennas. Have a Mobileone 4dB gain antenna base mounted on the bullbar 200 mm from a CDMA antenna. The 4 dB antenna original failed in the first few months and I have replaced it with a 6 dB glass fibre stick, thinking it would reach further.

On the Simpson crossing we found out UHF would not perform any where near as well as our friends UHF of the same brand, same as original antenna. It has me in a quandry as to which way to go at the moment. Noticed it had not performed as well in the mountains earlier too.

I agree with you on the wire types almost entirely but has gone well on a bonnet mount on Falcon ute.
FollowupID: 326778

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 20:12

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 20:12
1. Aerials on bullbars is fine. It is my understanding that so long as nothing protrudes forward of the bar then it is legal. Manufacturers put aerial tabs on them so you would think it must be fine. Exception is for HF aerials, I believe it is illegal in some states due to blocking the drivers view.

2. They can be switched off and if my last car is anything to go by, they are switch independently of the headlights so dimming your lights does not switch them off. If I had my way I would make them be switched with the high beam. I flash my lights at these people. I would like to take a crow bar to them and permanently turn them off!!! I hate hose Hyundai Excels (do you need a reason?) which have the rear fog light. The really bright red one that some people have turned on all day and night. I'd smash them too if I had the chance.

3. As the last guy said. It is bitumen from the ferry to Cape Trib and dirt with creek crossings after that. Once saw a rental Mazda 323 stuck in the 1st creek crossing. Water all through the car. Pretty funny I thought. Was last there two years ago. I think they were cosidering widening the road. Not sure if they were or not or did if they were.

Utemad
AnswerID: 65837

Reply By: Anthony from Anglyn Promotions - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 01:05

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 01:05
As an ex manufacturer of bullbars in WA, the ADR ruling is that the aerial mount bracket must face inwards ( ie not point to the front of the bar) and must be placed to the left of the centre of the bar so as not to obstruct vision. HF aerials are allowed in WA and they have bigger brackets. Some people actually mount the HF aerial to the bumper section of the bullbar.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 65900

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:26

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:26
Merv,
If your inn QLD this brochure from QLD Transport will give you the answer about aerials.

Vehicle Mods
AnswerID: 65906

Follow Up By: floyd - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 19:00

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 19:00
Make sure that you look at the fine print. It says

Please Note:
The contents of this publication are a guide only and cannot
be used as a reference to a point of law. For a detailed
explanation, refer to the Transport Operations (Road Use
Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999.
FollowupID: 326842

Reply By: Swerv - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:42

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:42
Thanks fellas

All your comments have been noted and I shall take them on board. They should point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

Swerv....
AnswerID: 65986

Sponsored Links