Slide on Campers

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:27
ThreadID: 14276 Views:2441 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Info please.
What to look for and the pros and cons of a slide on because we want to tow a larger boat.
Dos and Dont`s etc,
What are some of the better brands and who makes the shell.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:06

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:06
Try this link.

carry me campers

Baz.
AnswerID: 65937

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:35

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:35
Sorry Cliff try this.

click here
FollowupID: 326796

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 13:31

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 13:31
Cliff,

It depends what and how much you weant to develop. The guy who made ours makes slide ons or a lift on box straight onto the chassis. The benefit in having a lift on against a slide on is that you have not the weight of the tray underneath!!!

I guess what I am saying is that all slide on owners find quite a weight in what they carry. If you click on my rig pic there is a little of the manufacturer and a little of the way we have developed a tool box ;-)
AnswerID: 65951

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 23:35

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 23:35
Hi JohnR,

I'm looking at heading down the same track as you have with your vehicle and slide on. I however have a number of questions and hope you can help me out.

How heavy is the slide on bare- from new?
Is it steel or alloy?
How much did it affect your fuel consumption?
What do you think of the shape you have compared to the square sided type?

I'm thinking the square sides will give more space but greater wind resistance. The reason for going square sided is to give enough room on top to make it into a pop top rather than putting on a canvas tent.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ray
FollowupID: 327503

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:25

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:25
Ray,

I don't know I can answer all of your questions but I did give some loaded references to fuel useage on our return from the Simpson trip 23rd of June or there abouts.

Our box is 350Kg I understand as a slide on just basic. Steel framed had an alloy roof that you can walk on and an alloy top to the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx that we sleep on.

Thought the square sided look was an obstacle to fuel consumption, looks and ability to see along the sides with the mirrors.

We use our tent as a cover to work under if we need it rather than a necessity as we sleep in the box with ours. A lot seem to like that idea rather than under the canvas. King sized bed or bigger inside.

We are pretty quick at setting up and packing too. Our tent is up under the roof on the right hand side with tie down straps to pull it up and hold it tight. Have quite a few pics already and the email is with the rig pic if you want more.

Hope that is of assistance....
FollowupID: 327537

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 21:07

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 21:07
cliff,
i went to the bris. caravan show the other week looking at slide ons. the one that caught my attention was the activecampers.com.au designed for twin cab and extra cab utes looked ok solid, one piece fibre glass body good seal on roof for dust. on google type in slide on campers and you will pick up a few sites.
regards peter
AnswerID: 66051

Reply By: Dunedigger - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 07:34

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 07:34
Hi Cliff,

I have a Trayon Camper (Link) . Most of the other campers have an outside kitchen.

I find it the most civilised 5 star camping ever, but may not be really suitable if you have a large family.

I have made another post at 14139 on this list.

Dunedigger
AnswerID: 66253

Sponsored Links