false floor for hj47

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:12
ThreadID: 14277 Views:2617 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys,

i am planning a trip to western australia with a hj 47 landcruiser and we are thinking a false floor would be a good way to store some of the gear.

we are thinking to take the seats in the rear out and build a full length false floor so that we can sleep in the truck as well...

if you have any experience or advice regarding the material ( which wood, with or without steelframe etc.)

i would be happy for any advice, plans, photos etc..

thanks !

tobias
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McGuckian - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:43

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:43
Tobias,

My daughter and son in law have just finished fit out of their 1984 FJ47. They will be home for their Flinders Ranges trip in 10 days or so and I can then send you some pictures. They used exterior grade ply in three folding sections made to fit between the side sections together with crossed box supports. They then have plastic tubs under the end section and can lift the front up to stack the space. They used 10cm self inflating mattresses with a doona cover. To insulate the windows they used a cut up space blanket. It makes a very cosy touring setup. They got a roof rack made by 4wd systems in Adelaide and have this for their spare tyre.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 65944

Follow Up By: tobias - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:50

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:50
peter,

thanks for the mail,
the setup your daughter and son in law have sounds great.
if you could send me some photos or a little plan that would be fantastic !!
my e mail is: tobititz@gmx.de
if you want to send them by mail :
20 mary street carlton north vic 3054
tel.: 03 9381 0235
thanks heaps !

tobias

FollowupID: 326829

Reply By: andysgu - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 19:58

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 19:58
Hi Tobias
Ply is the best choise which type depends on your buget and how much weight you want to carry check out a Board Store or somewhere that sell s plys furniture grade and marine grade are stronger and lighter .
Use aluminium angle for any brackets etc and screw and glue use a glue such as Liqiud nails sticks likebleepto most surfaces.
Then cover the lot in carpet cuts down on the druming and stops things sliding around as much.

Good luck Andysgu
AnswerID: 66023

Reply By: David/Dave - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:01

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:01
Hi Tobias,

I think we have have almost exactly what you are thinking about. We used 9mm exterior ply with 2x1 pine battens screwed across the width to stiffen it up a bit (if I were making them again I'd use hardwood battens). We made it in 4 sections, two about 450mm and the other two about 600mm, with the narrow panels at both ends so it was easier to lift them out. You can play around with the sizes a bit, but I'd suggest making it in at least two sections so you can get to stuff from the front seats easily.

You probably already know a queen-sized mattress fits in the back?! We screwed a 2x2 batten along the top of the ridge that the seat backs bolted into, which means that when the floor sections were in place we could fit 6-8 of those plastic wheelie storage crates underneath. We usually travel with 5 of those crates, a fridge, and a 20l drum of water under the false floor. Two tents, a couple of chairs, some fishing gear and other bits and pieces fit under the floor above the wheel arches. Access is easy, the crates are great for storage, and having a mattress in the back helps reduce the road noise!

Good luck!

David.
AnswerID: 66130

Sponsored Links