Sciatica Problems when driving for a few hrs?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 17:08
ThreadID: 142791 Views:5567 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone suffered from this,? and besides cutting the offending part off!! .. Or don't drive, any quick cure? besides all the usual pain killers

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 18:41

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 18:41
I'd see the GP rather than getting advise from a forum.
AnswerID: 638477

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 20:02

Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 20:02
Yep, I'd definitely be seeking professional advice - but I'd suggest from a quality physio, not a GP. Might require scans but the very first thing should be to determine the cause of the pain - which could be a multitude of things - before embarking on treatment. That might involve physio treatment followed by a course of specific exercises, or "worse" options. Disclaimer - highly regarded physio in the family.
FollowupID: 916963

Reply By: Member - William B - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:09

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:09
Hi Axle,
I would see a physio therapist and see if there is some stretchs or excercises that might help.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638478

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:27

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:27
Axle.
I have had similar for over 35 years. No disc at base and damage 5 up from there. Besides taking some drugs when too much I often use an orbital sander to agitate the lower back and if angled, the plate, with some cushioning, tends to impact the area. A speed controlled one would be good to regulate the action. Even at home I use it regularly if feeling slowed, then all ok and I continue. Sometime I couldn't lift my leg into the vehicle. Don't laugh, but I used the same sander on our arthritic aged dog when joints were stiff. If she saw me pick up the sander she hobbled over and waited for a treatment, then zapped off outside happy again. I did all this after I visited a Top back surgeon, who stated the disc damage and said, " ,come back when you can't walk. That was 17 years ago. Sander cheap, surgeon costly. I take a small inverter and the orbital if travelling. Makes life nicer.
AnswerID: 638479

Follow Up By: axle - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 20:19

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 20:19
You have me thinking RMD, Its been getting worse.

Yes i Did laugh about the dog thing, smart animal!.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 916942

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Friday, Nov 05, 2021 at 09:36

Friday, Nov 05, 2021 at 09:36
RMD thats about the best bit of advice i think you have given lol.
As a long term sciatica suffera my self , i will be taking the orbital sander with we next trip , though i might look into a cordless one.

Cheers Rob
I
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916965

Reply By: Darian - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 10:20

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 10:20
Physiotherapists on top of their game can make a huge difference…mine sorted me out years back.
AnswerID: 638484

Reply By: Gbc.. - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:02

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:02
Everyone is different. I get sciatica from tight hip flexors pulling on an old ruptured disc. My best help has been getting my feet sorted and wearing slight orthotic inserts to align everything again. Then there's the stretching, drugs and a great physio as mentioned above - we haven't had a good session on the hip flexors until tears have been shed - but the relief is awesome.
AnswerID: 638486

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 13:40

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 13:40
Yes, No Pain No Gain.
FollowupID: 916951

Reply By: Ozi M - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 18:18

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 18:18
My wife gets this often so I showed her your thread

She uses a "tens" machine, a small electronic gadget which gives a tingling sensation in the area of application

She said that sometimes it is like magic and others not so good but definitely worth a try

Maybe you could borrow or test one
AnswerID: 638490

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 08:26

Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 08:26
Hi axle,

Have you thought about replacing the seats in your vehicle for one with better lumbar support?

For what it is worth, my Son-in-law who is a physio says tens machines are no longer used by most physiotherapists anymore, as they were found to not actually do much. Of course they may have a therapeutic affect that makes you feel better, whilst not actually doing anything.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638494

Follow Up By: axle - Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 09:25

Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 09:25
Hi Macca,

Yes i have been looking at that, My wife has a late Honda CRV which feels a lot better over distance, as far as lumbar support goes, trouble is she's in it the majority of the time due to her work commitments.( Wont Retire) lol. My run around Mits Triton trayback certainly is not helping, especially the angle of foot to accelerator pedal and the board like seats, different seats installed may be a big plus..

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 916956

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 11:07

Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 11:07
Obviously everyone is different, and different on different days, what treatment you've had, nature of the complaint. I find anywhere between 4 and 6 hours starts to get really uncomfortable and you squirm in the seat trying to get relief. Changing the seat position, angles etc., making sure your whole calf is supported, stopping for a break, walking around usually helps in the short term, but sometimes you body tells you its had enough time behind the wheel.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 638495

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 12:54

Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 12:54
Warren H
Seeing the calf of a leg is on the lower 'arf below the knee, what sort of seat do you have to support that? How do you get your leg backwards to apply a brake? Does the support get in the way?
Under the thigh support is very good though.
FollowupID: 916957

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 15:24

Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 15:24
Oops meant thigh.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 916960

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 12:51

Thursday, Nov 04, 2021 at 12:51
I've had similar issues with a bulging disc and a displaced and damaged vertebrae while I was employed.

Lots of Physio, good and bad, but ultimately with little long term effect. My first Physio was fantastic but a bit later moved interstate. Following ones were ineffective due to being a lightly built female and inexperienced, another was a back breaker and one female with long fingernails that did more damage than good. Some of the exercises recommended were even aggravating it.

The Surgeon I saw basically was all about pain management and exercise and that if you can stand the pain don't get operated on. Work was a main culprit for management as too much office and desk related.

Magic happened when I got self initiated redundancy. Spent the first 6 months doing about 2 hour walks each day in Darwin tropical heat, generally in the middle of the day. Lost a bit of weight and strengthened the back and stomach muscles.

Although not cured I have far less issues but probably around the 80% mark for strength and durability but better at recognising when I'm approaching the danger point.

As far as vehicle seating is concerned I generally always have to have a lumbar cushion as vehicles don't have enough adjustment in that area to suit me. It's normally the seat base that limits distance driving but not pain in the lower back. Would love to try a Recaro seat in this 4x4 as I had previously had one earlier on, costly for airbag compliance ones and would need to try a long trip to verify what they would be like again.

We've always had a water bed and that hasn't caused any issues, but there's differing opinions on their suitability but the Orthopaedic Surgeon said that if it was comfortable then keep it. Not all water bed bladders give good support where it's needed, especially with far different weight partners.
AnswerID: 638496

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Friday, Nov 05, 2021 at 09:49

Friday, Nov 05, 2021 at 09:49
Axle i hear you ,long term sciatica suffera myself, Chiropractor , got me sorted out to a degree years ago, physo wasn't working.
there are some good stretches on all fours arching the back etc, that do help relieve the pain, probably an idea to a professional, and get some exercises,to do.
long term probably easier than cutting of the offending part.

Cheers Rob
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638501

Reply By: Rod W6 - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2021 at 21:41

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2021 at 21:41
Have you considered getting on one of them inversion/hang upside down machines? Might help.
AnswerID: 638552

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2021 at 21:48

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2021 at 21:48
Had one of them for some time and worked well. So well and comfortable that I actually fell asleep while almost vertical.
FollowupID: 917041

Sponsored Links