Tjukayirla Roadhouse

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 09:16
ThreadID: 142849 Views:6871 Replies:10 FollowUps:37
This Thread has been Archived
Hey, had a quick look at the rules again, its been awhile since we posted, apologies to the forum if this is in the wrong place, couldn't find a section...

For those who remember us, Al and I have managed Tjukayirla Roadhouse on the great central on and off since 2011. Our last stint was 2017.

We ar taking a break from reality (lol) and heading out there for another stint. Be there by 20th December and have committed for 12 months initially. Things will be the same as always and the Tjuka burger will of course be on offer :D

Like to extend a warm welcome to old and hopefully new friends. Please mention this forum if you call in, we are always up for a beer or ten after work.

cheers
Al & Serena
Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 10:46

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 10:46
Thanks Serena, and all the best for your stay.
Closest we have been is Laverton, but that burger is mighty tempting !!!
Wonder when WA will let Queenslanders in again?

Hope we see you sometime.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638568

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 11:15

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 11:15
Thanks Jim

We are currently in Qld so hopefully now haha

accordig to their border control Qld is very low risk, no quarantine required

FollowupID: 917057

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:01

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:01
Hi Serena, good to see that you and Al are 'at it' again :)
Will hopefully see you both in the new year.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638569

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 14:47

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 14:47
Thanks! Yep we have at least one more in us I reckon haha! See you there :)
FollowupID: 917058

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 17:31

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 17:31
Before travellers from the East get too exicited, read ThreadID: 142282
GCR is still closed for access from the East . i.e. no G2G pass will be issued even thou you can get the WA Land Council pass
AnswerID: 638574

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 17:57

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 17:57
Thanks for the heads up. We have submitted our request so will see how we go I guess.
FollowupID: 917061

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 18:01

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 18:01
I note that was back in September, is it listed somewhere as still closed? The info on the G2G is saying open.
FollowupID: 917062

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:13

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:13
It is open if you are heading East ... if you are heading West you will be advised to go south to Eucla
FollowupID: 917068

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:22

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:22
Advised by who? where is this info please? weren't you coming from SA and wasn't that a hot spot? we are coming via Qld/Alice Springs. Also that was two months ago, is your information current? Not trying to be pedantic about this but its pretty critical. We have given up jobs and cannot afford to get stuck in Alice with 3 dogs so I want to make sure the information is 100% correct.
FollowupID: 917069

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 22:01

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 22:01
We were never in SA,
The problem is there is no Border Checkpoint on the GCR so the cops turn you back at Warakurna /Giles
and make you enter from Eucla or Kununarra, the only two locations with border control .
You risk a $50,000 fine I was warned for illegal entry .
Re info --
https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-wa

By land

If you are entering WA by road, you will be met at the WA border checkpoint to ensure your travel has been registered via the G2G Pass. You will also be subject to a health screening.

An assessment of your travel and final destination (including quarantine suitable premises if required) occurs as you enter WA and can be subject to change without notice.
FollowupID: 917074

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 22:26

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 22:26
Ahhh ok I get you now. Sorry. So were you trying to drive across without a valid G2g pass?

I have applied for ours but also we are going to work on the NG Lands so I will clear it with HR/ the Warakurna police before I even attempt that, especially if our passes dont come through in time

That link is where I got the information that coming from Qld would require no quarantine as we are a very low risk. That could change at any given moment of course.

thanks for all the info, sorry took me a bit of time to connect your dots lol
FollowupID: 917075

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 14:29

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 14:29
Serena, a follow-up on the border issue: from this ABC article.

"Currently, WA allows quarantine-free travel from Tasmania, South Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory.

But all of those jurisdictions, bar the Northern Territory, are planning to resume quarantine-free travel with COVID hotspots before the end of the year.

Because of that, WA is likely to close its borders to those states before Christmas."
FollowupID: 917096

Reply By: Member - Soft-Trailer - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:35

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:35
Magic! The last time I went threw there was in 2009, but my 'choice' of transport was an Army helicopter. Absolutely loved it, and have several photo's including our mates getting chased off-site by Emus.

My family have recently put Tjukayirla RH down as a must-visit place on an upcoming trip. Really looking forward to it! I have a lot of regrets the last time I was there - especially not trying the burger and not buying the indigenous art that was exceptional! But had no room in the Helo....
Lachlan

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638577

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:48

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 21:48
Definitely make yourself known so we can share a beer with you around the fire!! :)

FollowupID: 917073

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 23:07

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 23:07
Hi Serena, I drove from Alice to Lenora a month ago down the GCR. I am a Victorian without the useless jab. To get the G2G permit all I had to do was answer a heep of questions and provide evidence I had been in the NT for more than 14 days. My application took about 24 hours to get approval. There where signs at the NT/WA boarder but no one there or any sign that it is manned at any time. When I got to the turn off into Warakurna from the GCR there was a road closed sign so I proceeded on to Warburton. On arrival at Warburton I pulled up at the roadhouse immediately behind a police vehicle. The policewoman came out saw me in my Victorian registered vehicle and got in her own vehicle and drove off, obviously not interested in any travellers. As long as you can show you have been in NT for more than 14 days I do not think you will have a problem, especially if you are only going as far as Tjukayirla. Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638579

Follow Up By: Serena L - Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 23:41

Saturday, Nov 13, 2021 at 23:41
Thanks Chris! We are committed now so obviously this is stressing me out a bit. Haha Gotta get ourselves to our new (old) jobs!
FollowupID: 917077

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 12:26

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 12:26
Is that the jab to make you a temporary Sandgroper Chris? The one I think you're referring to is FAR from useless. It has saved hundreds of thousands of lives, prevented ongoing health system and worker overload, and helped ease the load on normal hospital operations - in both senses of that word.

This may or may not interest you:
In the ICU where only Maria is vaccinated, others die in disbelief
FollowupID: 917089

Follow Up By: Serena L - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 13:32

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 13:32
We got our G2g approvals through a minute ago so will follow up wth the local police to make sure we are good to go on the day :)
FollowupID: 917095

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 17:22

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 17:22
Bazooka, your reference is interesting and is indeed a sad tale. The Australian Government through the TGA has banned the use of such drugs as Ivermectin which has been used very successfully fighting Covid in countries such as India, Indonesia, Peru, Mexico to name a few to all but eliminate Covid. Ivermectin is an anti parasitic drug and has been around for over forty years, is extremely safe, (refer WHO) and hundreds of millions of doses have been administered world wide. You and I should have the choice of Ivermectin should we get Covid but our Government obviously has some other agenda and denies us that right.
I thank you for your example but it is only one example and a lot more facts from reputable sources are required in these troubled times.
I would like to return the favour and suggest some "light" reading which you may find interesting. Its at https://principia-scientific.com/

I do not think this is the right place to pursue this subject any further so I will be making no further comments on this subject here. If you or anyone else wants to pursue this matter and is respectful, just send me a PM
Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917105

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 17:55

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 17:55
"The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the National Task Force on Covid-19 have dropped the use of Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) drugs from their revised guidelines for the treatment of the infection.
The decision was taken after experts found that these drugs have little to no effect on Covid-related mortality or clinical recovery of the patient. " 26/9/2021

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917106

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 00:39

Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 00:39
Afaik there are NO randomised, controlled peer-reviewed tests which show that Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine are effective "cures" for covid but if you can provide some links I'm happy to read them. UK health authorities abandoned Ivermectin trials quite a while ago because the data showed no statistical improvement and continued testing raised ethical problems. Oxford Uni is still trialling it apparently. The Australian medical scientist whose research was used out of context has explained his position recently. He also criticised the university involved in the research's early release which led to msinformation and hype across the world. Medicine regulators are right not to approve any experimental drug without due dilligence and clinical trials which show its efficacy.

None of those countries has virtually eliminated covid. Nor is there any credible evidence TO DATE that Ivermectin has made any difference. Here's just one debunking of the Peru story: There is No Evidence Ivermectin Helped Fight COVID in Peru

The good news is two separate pills have been shown to be effective against the disease provided they're taken early during the infection period. They may soon be approved for use in the USA. I have no doubt that many healthy antivaxxers will ingest this chemical "cure" should they acquire covid while they continue to reject mostly benign vaccination on freedom of choice grounds.

Thanks for the link. Was aware that there are many fringe pseudo-science websites around but hadn't encountered that one before. Adding scientific and principia to a website name doesn't automatically confer reputation or credibility to its content.
FollowupID: 917114

Follow Up By: Geof C - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 18:23

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 18:23
Im with Bazooka on this one. Funny how the antivaxers and those from Victoria & New South Wales are all busting their guts to get to W.A & QLD every time there is an opportunity presented to them. We in W.A & QLD do the hard yards to get into this position of virtual freedom, then suddenly people like Idler Chris want to jump on for the free ride. God help us if we had depend on people with an attitude like that.
FollowupID: 917176

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 17:22

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 17:22
"I would like to return the favour and suggest some "light" reading which you may find interesting. It's at https://principia-scientific.com/"

You have got to be joking. That is the last site anyone with a knowledge of reliable science evaluation would take any notice of. Just go through the fact checking sites and see what they think of it.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917479

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 18:58

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 18:58
Thanks PeterD, I would like to do that, could you please name a few.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917480

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 19:26

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 19:26
Google 'scientific principia pseudoscience' Chris. Plenty of reading available, including info about the principals of that organisation. Some of the climate change claims are so preposterous that they're quite hilarious in their scientific naivety. Nothing even vaguely reputable to be found, let alone peer reviewed science.

Among their many erroneous and irresponsible claims are that childhood vaccines were “one of the largest most evil lies in history.” Yes, vaccines that prevent polio, german measles, whooping cough, diptheria, mumps etc are "evil lies". Disgraceful and ignorant garbage.

Desmog on PSI

A simple way of uncovering the lies and pseudoscience of PSI and many other fringe websites is to google some of the specific claims and read the rebuttals.
FollowupID: 917481

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 20:25

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 20:25
Bazooka, thank you to you too. I am trying to follow up your comments but cannot seem to find the same references as yourself. Could you please supply the URL's for the claims you are making.
Desmog is hardly a reputable reference. It was founded by a public relations company with no reference to who is funding it, and all its team members are writers. Not a scientist or doctor anywhere.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917484

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 21:49

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 21:49
Which claims Chris? That PSI is sham science? I invited you to do your own searches on PSI for good reason: (1) there are far too many links to list which discuss their outrageous claims and lack of credentials; (2) you need to satisfy yourself that I'm not cherry picking.

I provided you with very easily found information which debunked the Chile claims, and could equally have done so for your other claims: "drugs as Ivermectin which has been used very successfully fighting Covid in countries such as India, Indonesia, Peru, Mexico to name a few to all but eliminate Covid." Here's just one on Indonesia. As the saying goes, correlation is NOT causation.

Indonesia ivermectin

If you want real data and analysis on covid then I suggest you use John Hopkins Uni or ourworldindata.org. If you want credible updated info on ivermectin (including reports on the many now discredited "studies" on its efficacy) and hydroxychloroquine then a simple google search will give you hours of reading.

Information and analysis of covid treatments is constantly being updated. As yet there is nothing definitive re ivermectin's effectiveness against covid-19, unlike the two pills now in development for example. Could that change? Yes, but it does appear unlikely at this point.

Desmog has regular contributions from reputable climate scientists. That's how I came upon them years ago. Unfortunately a lot of valuable science time and effort has been "wasted" on refuting pseudo-science and intentional misinformation.

I gave you that particular desmog link because it exposes a tiny bit of the outrageous bs from PSI - including the child vaccine comment I referenced. I suggest you read the page because there are listed references for the quotes they provide.
FollowupID: 917488

Follow Up By: Serena L - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 21:59

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 21:59
This thread has gone completely off topic. I’ve asked the moderators to delete it as we are not making the trip for the foreseeable future.

Cheers
Serena
FollowupID: 917489

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 22:02

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 22:02
One other thing while I think of it. Covid numbers (and associated death rates) from different countries have highly variable reliabilities for many reasons (another topic google can assist with). They are of course subject to the numbers of tests being done (test more you'll find more positives), but reporting, political manipulation, lack of time and resources etc also contribute.

https://theconversation.com/three-reasons-why-covid-19-data-in-indonesia-are-unreliable-and-how-to-fix-them-157056
FollowupID: 917490

Reply By: Zippo - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 12:17

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 12:17
Great to hear! We've been through (and stayed overnight) in 2014/15/16 and again in June this year (*).

As WAussies, the GCR's our favourite "escape route" - infinitely preferable to the Nullarboring.

First time (July 2014) was about the last day of your stint - Al was busy forking furniture into the semi.

Earlier this year in our trip planning I rang the RH to enquire about accom, and the bloke who answered sounded so much like Al that I enquired here on EO (ThreadID: 141308).

Looking forward to catching up with you guys again as we may be coming through in 2022, Covid/WAPOL/G2G willing.

(*) Used to welcome your posts on road conditions etc as it was far more informative than calling Laverton Shire. This year's operator had been there all of 24 hours when we called from Erldunda to get an idea of when the road would dry out enough to reopen, as Laverton had closed it. "At least three days I'd say". Opened next morning. Again, welcome back!
AnswerID: 638590

Follow Up By: Serena L - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 13:31

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 13:31
Haha thanks mate! I did notice the website hasn't had road updates for quite a while, we will be sure to update on that, and also renew our business membership here so we can update everyone

I just now got the G2g Approval through so hopefully the trip over in a few weeks is drama free, might just give the local cops a call first to be sure.

2014 was our second last one i think, we went back in 2017 for a short one. No furniture this time, we have bought a house in North Qld so we will be leaving it all here and just hitting the road with enough stuff to keep us comfy.

I rang the roadhouse a minute ago to ask the relieving manager a question and imagine my surprise when it was my own voice on the messagebank . HAHHA, so like that place out there, when we rock up, nothing will have changed, thats the beauty of it. Looking forward to catching up on your next trip!

cheers
S & A
FollowupID: 917093

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 16:20

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 16:20
I would advise against ringing anyone. You have your G2G pass so don't complicate the issue. Chris

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638591

Follow Up By: Serena L - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 18:38

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 18:38
The passes have just been cancelled due to the case (s)? in Katherine. Have to reapply and only travel through Kununurra or Eucla.

Honestly can't understand the over-reaction for two positive cases. I am from Canada and they have hundreds of cases a day, they don't even "count" them anymore, they are open and trading. We have to learn to live with this. We can't stay locked down forever.

Ah well, plan B I guess
FollowupID: 917178

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 16:57

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 16:57
Honestly can't understand the over-reaction for two positive cases.

Those 2 cases are now 52 cases in 2 indigenous communities that have a high rate of non-vaccinations, all because 1 person lied on their travel documents.
Considering where you are going, I would have thought you would have been a bit more tolerant of these restrictions.
FollowupID: 917360

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 17:26

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 17:26
"Honestly can't understand the over-reaction for two positive cases. I am from Canada and they have hundreds of cases a day, they don't even "count" them anymore, they are open and trading. We have to learn to live with this. We can't stay locked down forever."

And you have a 50% larger population but well over 10 times our death rate per million of population so please don't lecture us on how we are handling this pandemic.

Regards
FollowupID: 917361

Follow Up By: Serena L - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 17:51

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 17:51
Settle down fellas.
FollowupID: 917362

Reply By: Rod N - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 19:24

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 19:24
I don't know what mobile reception is like in that neck of the woods but the G2G system relies on mobile phone access. When we crossed at Kununurra recently both us and the police had trouble with the mobile network causing frustration and delays.
The mobile network, or lack there of, could be the reason why there is no access through the GCR.
AnswerID: 638627

Follow Up By: Serena L - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 19:37

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 19:37
there is telstra at Ayers Rock, Warakurna and Warburton. Not sure about Docker River. Then there is Optus (lol) at Tjuka, then nothing at Cosmo, back to Telstra at Laverton. Lots of road without access for sure but you get the same thing all across The Nullarbor. I've got Head Office on to it as well, they are based in Alice
FollowupID: 917186

Reply By: Banjo (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 08:46

Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 08:46
Serena,

Last week the authorities were referring to a 'cluster of one' in Katherine.
How does their mind work?

Just to keep a bit of perspective on this virus.
It's now 2 years since it arrived:

in that time there have been 45,784,624 tests done
there have been 191,00 cases
there has been 1898 deaths, with only 371 of those from people aged under 70.

Those deaths are lamentable of course, but many of those will be 'died with Covid', rather than 'died of Covid'.

No comment, just looking at the facts.

AnswerID: 638635

Follow Up By: Serena L - Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 09:03

Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 09:03
Mate you don’have to tell me. I think it’s utter lunacy what’s happening here. I’m Canadian and my family at home think Australians have lost the plot.

But I won’t get into it here, it’s a topic that has divided the nation sadly, and I’ve lost a lot of friends because of my views. Not in any way a tin foil hat wearer or think the virus doesn’t exist, just think this has been handled sooo soooo badly the world over. !!

FollowupID: 917190

Reply By: Member - Gordon B5 - Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 21:11

Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 21:11
SA has just closed the border to NT but I'm not sure what happens next Tuesday when SA opens their borders to everyone

http://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-police-news-assets/front-page-news/updated-cross-border-travel-associated-direction-17-november-2021
He who hesitates is lost

AnswerID: 638641

Follow Up By: Serena L - Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 21:45

Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021 at 21:45
At this point we are thinking we are going to have to go Townsville- Birdsville - Pt Augusta- Nullarbor- Laverton - Tjuka. Only about 3000 more kms than we need to lol
FollowupID: 917208

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 08:32

Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 08:32
The world has gone mad. Good luck Serena, and I hope you don't really have to go the long way round. It's amazing what politicians in their plush leather chairs in air-conditioned offices can come up with.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917209

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 12:10

Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 12:10
Serena, be aware of the potential to need to "quarantine" for 14 days after arrival in W.A. with a G2G through S.A., and the implications of trying to nominate/use Tjukayirla as the Q destination.

Son and DIL in Alice have (*had* now?) a G2G to fly down to Perth on 11 December. The rotating "Tribal Xmas" is at our place this year - which the kids had nominated as their Q-loc - but the 14 days of household quarantine would mean Xmas would be out. They are now looking at flying down the previous week. It's a bugger all round.
FollowupID: 917212

Follow Up By: Serena L - Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 20:40

Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 20:40
Hey mate, thanks for that. With all the uncertainty we have no put the brakes on the whole thing. :( We have 3 dogs and just can't risk getting stuck anywhere, between jobs and what have you, so have made the very very hard decision to pull the plug on it before our current jobs are given to someone else. Bloody covid!

Will update if and when there is one
FollowupID: 917216

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 20:54

Thursday, Nov 18, 2021 at 20:54
That's a real shame and disappointment Serena. Good luck ....... I should say "Better luck " next time.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917217

Follow Up By: Serena L - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 17:51

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 17:51
Thanks Jim :)
FollowupID: 917363

Sponsored Links