DO35 Hitch

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 17:01
ThreadID: 142858 Views:4675 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, A technical question regarding the tolerance between the pin & the catch plate on a DO35 Hitch, as we go "off-Bitumen" regularly, I'm getting some noise from the coupling over rough ground (no it is not the receiver / tongue or the vehicle's towbar ). I've measured it at .5mm, it may not sound much but lifting it quickly with a crow-bar seams quite excessive, TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 18:54

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 18:54
Brenton.
That 0.5 mm is not much clearance for the hitch to gather momentum to make noise. If it is can you fit a fibre washer to hold the movement.
However, have you checked the clearance and possible "Ovality" of the drop on section and the hitch pin and the radiall clearance involved. I would think the fore/aft slog will wear the pin and ring section.
AnswerID: 638592

Follow Up By: Brenton B2 - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 19:14

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 19:14
yes the diameter of the Nylon bush is all good, I have also checked the condition of the bushes & they are still ok, we have had the van for 6yrs & regularly check & adjust the castellated nut, I will now check with the manufacturer if the catch itself has worn
FollowupID: 917107

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 20:12

Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 at 20:12
I don't know the answer to your question, but recommend you ask the manufacturer. I had a Mk 1 DO35, which due to a silly mistake on my part developed a noticeable clearance between the centre section & the yoke in which it pivots. I measured it & called the manufacturer & straight up they told me it was no longer safe & suitable only for the bin. I now have a Mk 3 DO35 (which is a significant improvement).
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638596

Sponsored Links