Jayco J Pod

Submitted: Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 15:14
ThreadID: 142861 Views:13186 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have been thinking of purchasing a Jayco J-Pod Sport for some time now but have some concerns, looking for input/answers from current or previous owners of either the Sport or Outback models.

My internet searches has several owners reporting persistent water leaks, rear door sealing issues, and general poor construction.

There aways seem to be 5 to 6 for sale secondhand on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace with either "little use" or only one year old.

Owners don't seen to keep them very long, is it because of quality issues? or they find them unsuitable for their intended use?

I like the idea of them as i don't want a caravan but something better than a tent, which I can just pull down the back hatch and move camping sites without a lot of packing up.

Please I don't want this thread to become a Jayco bashing, after genuine responses from owners, I don't want to purchase something that others would advise against

Cheers
CJ

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 16:35

Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 16:35
Hi Chris J, there are a number of comments on this subject on " The Grey Nomads Forum". Hope this will also help you out.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638604

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 19:47

Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 19:47
Chris
If the J pod models suit your useage then that is ok, but whatever you look at with the intention to buy, take a long time looking at THE actual unit you intend to purchase. Check every fitting and connection and sealed edges and any plumbing etc. I purchased a T van a long time ago and despite it's claim of perfection there were many issues. Some not found until a while later.

Ensure all screws, the Philips head variety are not stripped in their cross, because any damage means you probably cannot fix the issue or even tighten the screw.
Any sealed area between panels or edges needs to be bonded and properly sealed. Any failure to remove production wax will affect the seal and let in dust.
A simple thin paper sheet or poly strapping from box of print paper, slid between the rear door seal rubber will reveal gaps and uneven tightness.
My experience with the T van was similar to above plus finding the inner radius of the inner wheel bearing did not match the axle machining radius and the bearing did not seat as it should have done. No one smart enough to check such things it seems.
Do your checks!
AnswerID: 638610

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 20:07

Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 20:07
I've looked them as well but put off by quality issues. There are more expensive alternatives that may be better.

https://camper.hemax.com/Reviews/11340/Lumberjack_Sheoak_Review
AnswerID: 638611

Follow Up By: Chris J16 - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 08:06

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 08:06
Hi Michael,
Thank-you for the link, the Sheoak looks like a good unit and probably better value at that.
The quality issues seem the be a common theme with the J Pods which is a shame as I like the concept of the
J-Pod Sport.
My only problem with the Sheoak and similar units is I don't require off-road abilities.
The off-road ability, better suspension and big tyres appear to add about 200 kgs to these units
I will be towing whatever I buy with a Subaru XV, whilst on paper the XV's towing numbers appear suitable, personally I think it will stretch the friendship.

FollowupID: 917150

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 09:07

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 09:07
Maybe any of the teardrop campers would suit better as they are lower to the ground to suit the XV?

https://www.theteardropcampercompany.com.au/gallery/
FollowupID: 917151

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2021 at 20:49

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2021 at 20:49
unforunately i would agree that jayco seem to have dropped off in the QC area , they are normally a good brand. 2 vehicles now, 1 x jayco fiat, 1 Jayco discovery . both had annoying (NEW) faults found on road trips taken within next yr.
looks like QC not that good if a factory screw is straight into the pwr line from roof solar( not noticed by QC) and later shower paneling comes loose.... then pwr bed sticks 1/2way. fiat engine mgmt system had occurrences of showing engine light but difficult to know what was fault- call 1300 assist or similar. drive carefully to nearest dealer with laptop diagnoser. ( in my case 2 day drive) from 1980-2000 travels.
May be better now.
MG.
AnswerID: 638746

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 13:19

Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 13:19
I knew a couple who were considering a J-pod for the same reasons you are. I suggested they'd be better off with a small pop-top caravan - which is what ended up buying (I'm sure not just on my advice), and they've since confirmed that was definitely the right way to go.

The J-pod is basically a bed in a box - there is no room to sit or cook your dinner if the weather turns foul (I don't think they even have a kitchen). For a lot more weight, cost and the restrictions the come with towing a trailer, it doesn't really offer much more than a rooftop tent (except obviously you could leave the J-pod set-up at the campsite if you needed to go somewhere in your car).

Have a look at some of the smaller caravans on offer (including pop-tops) - I think you'll find the extra space and function will be well worth the extra cost and travelling weight.
AnswerID: 638762

Sponsored Links