Forum frozen?

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 16:47
ThreadID: 142968 Views:6271 Replies:9 FollowUps:37
This Thread has been Archived
Has everyone stopped posting on the forum for the past week .... or am I missing something?
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 16:56

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 16:56
Things have slowed down but nothing frozen as there were a couple of posts over the past day.
AnswerID: 638793

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 17:34

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 17:34
Wildmax
Nothing new much at all, except for some PLACE comments which never say which state they are in, Frank, I presume, moved them to where they should be.
It is interesting with Place comments, some seem to have no meaning while others say the Place isn't there, or where it should be according to the GPS of the poster.
Does anyone know why so many claim to be now wrong. Are people using different geodetic systems or are the devices they are using providing wildly different readings to positions recorded years ago?
A while back someone mentioned the place was around 11 km different. that isn't global Positioning, is it!
AnswerID: 638794

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 21:12

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 21:12
RMD,

Those place comments are linked to the Places they refer to. The system knows from the coordinates what state the Place is in so that when you open the Place, the state is is shown in the title.

Just for info if a place comment is simply adding or amending info, moderators have been requested to hide the post. That post is taken off the forum to reduce clutter there, but it remains visible in the associated Place as a Comment, so the info is not lost to users. The comment is then assessed by the Place moderators (they can access the comments that were hidden from the forum) and if any changes to the Place attributes, like addition or deletion of facilities like toilets, camping, picnic facilities - all the stuff in the Places legend - are warranted then we adjust the list of attributes so that when you open the Place on-line or in Traveller the facility symbols are up to date according to reports received.

Member Swampthang has been going a bit beresque with updated info today, which is maybe what you're referring to. We thank him for his input, and now we Place mods have a bit of checking and updating to do. The Places database relies on info coming in from users - it's EO's wiki.

You would be surprised at how wrong some info we get is. 11km is a minor error!!!! Very often it is a typo in the lat/long so that the location of a new place can be hundreds of km out. I recently dealt with a duplicate coastal campground that had been located in central Qld!

Some people, when they are creating a new place do not zoom right in on the map to accurately locate it. It can then be out by some hundreds of meters, which causes others to offer a correction.

Sometimes a Place's location is defined by historical data. Someone visits and the contemporary data is different, so they post that. As above, we take that on board and fix it.

Hope that goes some way to explaining what's happening.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 917559

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 22:06

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 22:06
Frank
Thank you for the info above. I didn't consider someone not checking the Lat long and presumed they would only post correct info. I also thought they HAD BEEN at that spot and subsequently stating their readings, but as you described, they simply, have a stab on a map and with zoom level inaccuracies don't realize they are out "by miles" in some cases. I considered anyone who does post position info would be correct, if not, what is the point of them doing it!
I have found huts in the high country by looking at a paper map and closely judging the lat long and going there, all in the dark. Probably thought, folk who bothered would also be similar, maybe not exact but close enough.
Any PLACE mentioned, I think should also contain the state it is in. otherwise we have to open everything mentioned and then mostly find it is thousands of km's away. It would be good to know with a view to access it if close. ie, the PLACE.. Vic Central west , for example.
Cheers
FollowupID: 917562

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 23:05

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 23:05
RMD,

When someone posts a comment on the forum on a Place, the Place referred to appears immediately above the comment. If you click that it opens the Place entry and that displays the state where the Place is located.

Sorry, the only way to narrow down the location better than state level is to click the Description where the contributor may have entered some info and failing that, the Map option.

As I said, it's a wiki, where the quality of the info provided depends almost entirely on the contributor.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917564

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 19:41

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 19:41
Forums are old news, social media sites are where it’s at these days. I might check in on old forum sites once or twice a week these days at best
AnswerID: 638796

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 21:15

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 21:15
This forum & others is a good source of constructive comment in most cases unlike so many social media sites with people making ridiculous nonsensical rubbish !
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 917560

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 22:48

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 22:48
And yet more people visit social media sites instead…..whilst I don’t disagree with you, I’m just saying it’s how it is these days.
FollowupID: 917563

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 08:35

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 08:35
Social Media is cancer to useful forums.. Facebook (for example) uses people to build communities online then use those communities in any way they see fit to increase their bottom line. I make a point of keeping active on a few old forums. Dont be sucked in by Facebook when it comes to groups.
FollowupID: 917565

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 12:49

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 12:49
Farcebook is the preferred newspaper for many dimwits..
FollowupID: 917566

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 23:19

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 23:19
Don't worry about the troll. He is not even a member of the forum.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917571

Reply By: Banjo (WA) - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 09:44

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 09:44
I like the Place updates being visible.
It's a bit like a lottery. You see the post and go off on a journey to a place you previously have never known about.
AnswerID: 638797

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 11:23

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 11:23
Hi Wildmax,
It's Christmas...... didn't you get the memo?
We are all busy hanging decorations. lol
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 638799

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 13:19

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 13:19
Haha ..... I have left that vital task to Mrs Wildmax :-)
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917567

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 13:21

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 13:21
Thanks for all the feedback folks; and I agree with the comments about Facebook. It's amazing the rubbish that appears there.
I still find forums such as this the best option for getting sensible answers to genuine questions. It has been a great help to me in planning trips over the past dozen or so years.
Seasons greetings to you all !!
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638800

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 13:44

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 13:44
Never been able to get a definitive answer on this Forum as to which make of tyre to put on the 100 Series. Tried Facebook and they suggested black ones.
Dave.
FollowupID: 917568

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 16:10

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 16:10
Something is unusual, sometimes when I logon the latest posts are displayed and other times they are not there at all?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638801

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 23:18

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 23:18
I have some problems with the sort order changing on me for no apparent reason. When that happens I go back onto the index page where I click on the bar labelled "Search & Options" up near the top. When the page changes, you will see an option "Sort Results By" select "Response Time" and you will get the latest updated threads at the top of the page.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917570

Reply By: Genny - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 22:26

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 22:26
Just express an opinion. That''ll fix that.
AnswerID: 638804

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 23:45

Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 at 23:45
A political opinion is guaranteed to fire up a thread. :-)
FollowupID: 917572

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 08:49

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 08:49
Or anything to do with 12 volts LOL.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917573

Follow Up By: axle - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 08:50

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 08:50
Just mention that Tritons are superior to D Max and Toyota.,...lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 917574

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 09:18

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 09:18
Do I need a WDH?
FollowupID: 917575

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:01

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:01
Shoelaces anyone ?

p.s. only the old timers would understand. We remember Truckster.

Regards
FollowupID: 917576

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:03

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:03
Lets not forget to include using generators :)
FollowupID: 917577

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:57

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:57
Can we still call the big rock "Ayers Rock" ?
FollowupID: 917578

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:02

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:02
Well, I do.
FollowupID: 917579

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:06

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:06
You're free to call it whatever you like Aussie1. It is/was typical (western?) colonial tradition to (re)name things like Chomolungma and Uluru, so you're actually conforming to quite natural/learned behaviour if you continue to use 'Ayers Rock'. Why people would be so attached to the name of a politician (albeit one of apparently great note) who never saw the monolith is anyone's guess. Probably familiarity and our distrust of change.

Some people still like to believe that the Supercars series is a battle between (US) Ford and (Au) Holden, others probably hold on to Bombay, Constantinople, Burma etc, although navigating to or getting a visa to visit any of those might be just a little fraught.
FollowupID: 917580

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:27

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:27
QED.... LOL
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917581

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:30

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:30
You got it in one Bazooka, I am free to call it whatever I like. I do not consider it conforming, just my choice.
Also I still like the names Bombay, Constantinople and Burma as well. As for getting a Visa to those joints, well not likely to ever want to go there no matter what they call them.
Cheers Cobber.
FollowupID: 917582

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:35

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 14:35
The V8's? Some people still believe the ABC is a "Trusted Unbiased Source of information and that they tell the truth.
They even believe the untruths in the fictional book, Dark Emu, by that white European descendant, who now claims to be Aboriginal to make money. No respect for Aboriginal folk there, just use them.

There you go Wildmax. all underway now!!!
FollowupID: 917583

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 16:12

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 16:12
Nothing like burleying the waters to hook a big one. Yep RMD, as the annual Australian media survey has confirmed for yonks, there are plenty of delusional people out there who put the ABC (and shock, horror, SBS) significantly ahead of all other "traditional" media sources as far as trust and credibility goes. Some people place great store in the wisdom of the majority but I'm not one of those so you being among the 12% who think the ABC is not trustworthy (as against the 70% who rate them trustworthy) is of no significance to me.

There are some very good, IMPARTIAL, analyses of Pascoe's book and the claims he raised by respected sources - including an archaeologist and anthropologist - around if you're interested. Even a fairly disappointing (imo) ABC Nightlife radio podcast for those too busy to read.

This is a good overall summary of the controversy, if not the book itself:
Taking Sides Over 'Dark Emu'
The extract below hits most of the conservative hyperbole surrounding the book right out of the park. Apologies for the long post but most won't read links (esp tldr sufferers) so I think it's necessary.

".....But Dark Emu isn’t an “academic” history, because its author isn’t a trained historian (he has an education degree and taught in regional Victorian schools). Dark Emu’s cultural role, much like Tim Flannery’s The Weather Makers (2005) and Henry Reynolds’ Why Weren’t We Told? (1999), is to “translate” knowledge hitherto trapped inside the academy and broadcast it to the world. Historians had known for a long time that so-called hunter-gatherer economies were highly sophisticated (see Marshall Sahlins’ seminal Stone Age Economics, published in 1972), and there have been many books, journal articles and conferences devoted to exploring what the historical, archaeological and paleontological records show about how various nations, tribes, clans and groups lived on this continent before Europeans came and destroyed physical and economic structures. Before he became embroiled in the “history wars” himself, Geoffrey Blainey with Triumph of the Nomads (1975) offered an earlier public translation of this kind of history."

Interestingly the archaeology claims are now being further examined: New archaeological research investigates Dark Emu's idea of Aboriginal 'agriculture' and villages. As ever, science questions and hopefully provides SOME enlightenment in due course - something many ideologically driven commentators could learn from.

Not much doubt Pascoe embellished some things in Dark Emu, and his aboriginality claim appears tenuous, but his National Dreamtime Award for “significant contribution” to the advancement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait people in 2018, and his background, would suggest your last sentence is, er, somewhat misplaced. Or, or as some who know him far better than you or I might say - horse manure.
FollowupID: 917584

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 20:51

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 20:51
It's a pity Bill and Ted didn't weigh in on it during their excellent adventure. This thread is officially thawed.
FollowupID: 917586

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 15:31

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 15:31
You lot are very naughty boys.
AnswerID: 638806

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 18:10

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 18:10
Wicket.
Naughty, Yes. WOKE and Left, No.
FollowupID: 917585

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 22:15

Monday, Dec 13, 2021 at 22:15
I see this word "woke" being bandied about, often in the context of a criticism or insult. Not being entirely sure of what it means other than by deciphering context I looked it up.

"What does 'woke' mean?
According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: "Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice."

The OED states: "By the mid-20th century, woke had been extended figuratively to refer to being 'aware' or 'well informed' in a political or cultural sense."

The Urban Dictionary adds: "Being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)."

The term is of African American origin and refers to perceived awareness of issues concerning social and racial justice."

I think those properties in a person partaking in a civil society are admirable. Such a person would probably be the first to give another "a fair go", a concept ingrained and espoused in Australian culture. So I am happy to be classified as being "woke".

And if its use is supposed to be an insult or criticism, then I think that given the above from OED and others, its use in that context is a failure.

As for "left" or "right", well IMO that's just the politics that decide who gets pork, who gets bread and who gets circuses.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917588

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 12:10

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 12:10
Frank
The OED may well say what you have presented and it is that idea of "awareness", it is way behind reality and in this case the dictionary does not reveal the true meaning as it currently is. WOKE contains a hidden delivery of racial hatred and abuse and efforts to control humanity through propaganda and mind bending, ie BLM and Antifa etc. It is sad you have just begun to look into it, but once you find out the idealism behind WOKE, you will not want to follow that path unless you want misery for the masses and richness for a select few, as in, ie, Russia, China, Nth Korea and others. Even the EU has people in most world systems to dominate to the demise of the masses.
FollowupID: 917589

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 12:50

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 12:50
"Woke" has been purloined and is regularly used as an epithet by the usual suspects in the land of the free Frank. Used to be SJW. That use has been driven by a hotch-potch of ideology junkies and the more extreme parts of the "right" in the USA, UK, and here to a limited extent unfortunately. Why any rational, educated adult, 'left' or 'right', wouldn't applaud measured social justice and/or "wokeness" is a mystery.

Like unfettered 'cancel culture' it's often used to shut down reasoned discussion on complex matters. Inane example of cancel culture in the UK here:Stars defend historian who mimicked Hitler

Let's hope neither of these gain footholds here.
FollowupID: 917590

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 13:00

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 13:00
I think woke means evil commies according to some. :-)
FollowupID: 917591

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 13:05

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 13:05
Interesting take on BLM there RMD. Did you get that from Sky or a US conspiracy theory source by chance? Contrary to your opinion BLM is actually a movement to counter "racial hatred and abuse", especially the institutionalised racism which still exists in the USA.

Rabbits are now back to causing angst in some areas of Oz (they're even shooting them in the parliamentary triangle but a far bigger problem imo is people voluntarily going down rabbit holes.
FollowupID: 917592

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 16:36

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 16:36
Wiktionary is generally up on the modern usage of words:

Shortened from woken or woke(n) up.
Adjective

woke (not generally comparable, comparative more woke or woker, superlative most woke or wokest)

(dialect, African-American Vernacular or slang) Awake: conscious and not asleep.

Synonyms: see Thesaurus:awake

(chiefly African-American Vernacular, slang) Alert, aware of what is going on, or well-informed, especially in racial and other social justice issues.

Synonyms: see Thesaurus:vigilant
Coordinate terms: (chiefly derogatory) politically correct, (British) right-on

(slang, often derogatory) Holding left-wing views or attitudes, principally with regards to certain social justice issues or to an excessive degree.

Usage notes

Like politically correct, woke started off as a positive word used by people to describe themselves and their behavior and gained negative connotations over time. Some derogatory uses of woke refer to people who would self-identify as woke.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917593

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 16:51

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 16:51
Well your definitely very Woke Peter. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 917594

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 16:53

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 16:53
There are hundreds of articles analysing the origins and meaning of woke, and its weaponisation by
a particular demographic. This is one of the better ones I've come across: How did the word woke become weaponised?
FollowupID: 917595

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 19:11

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 19:11
Frank.
The adopting of WOKE means that person appears to have no regard or respect for the efforts of their forebears, in effort and defence of our country where many have lost their lives to keep less than desirable forces out of our country. The media largely endorses the WOKE agenda which will severely impact their children, grand children and great grandchildren into the future. Such belief will decimate their future options and cause universal suffering where they all share the misery of what it will bring. It seems many older people who follow traditional news media don't realise they are being deceived because it with comes from a source considered as honest, believable and true. Not so in many cases. Some who are left of centre in politics now find their belief in what they follow is eroded to benefit countries offshore. The Democratic Labor Party in QLD was formed years ago in similar circumstances to combat such Marxism. Wake up people. You can be either side of politics but be careful what you endorse!
FollowupID: 917597

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 20:33

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 20:33
Some people have a propensity for nonsensical hyperbole and going down rabbit holes but invoking the sacrifices of others for the benefit of argument is about as low as it gets. I've seen it many times in forums unfortunately, almost always by people who invariably knew nothing about the history of conflicts they were referencing, let alone the variety of reasons people signed up to fight or the fact that their numbers included people from a huge variety of countries, races, cultures and religions.

Ignorance, credulousness and lies dressed up as facts are real dangers to democracies. If you're so worried about govts selling off national assets or making decisions which "benefit countries offshore" then you'd do well to take more interest in what your governments have done and are doing in "your name" and let your vote reflect your dismay.

FollowupID: 917599

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 21:20

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2021 at 21:20
RMD,

Thanks for your follow-up, but I'm not going to engage any further on this subject. Politics is poison on this forum, as it is on most others except those dedicated to the subject where participants seem to thrive on it. I think we've gone far enough. Let's just leave it there and make room for what EO is all about.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917600

Sponsored Links