Initializing serial port GPS mouse

Hi,
I have had issues trying to set up my G-Star IV GPS USB device to work with my mapping software from ExploreOz Traveller on my HP Windows 10 Laptop.
I was contacted by Michelle from I T. Beyond P/L recently. Michelle was able to assist me in getting my G-Star IV USB Device set up to work with their mapping software. I could not have set this up without her help even though I tried via YouTube, via Google and the like.
Michelle spent her time to assist, she went above and beyond. Thanks to Michelle the GPS device is up and running on my Windows 10 Laptop.
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 18:53

Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 18:53
You're very welcome Steve. I should post the issue and resolution here for historical reference for others as it does come up from time to time.

The issue is that the Windows operating system doesn't know how to recognise an external GPS receiver plugged into the COM ports when you are running an "APP" that has been downloaded from the "Microsoft store". So if you're going to use the store bought ExplorOz Traveller app on a Windows device you must do the following to enable the GPS signal to work. This has nothing to do with ExplorOz Traveller and is universal for all Windows app that require use of an external GPS.

(editted step numbers to include an extra instruction at Step 2).

1. Go to www.gpssenordrivers.com

2. Select Download.

3. Select x64 Download evaluation

4. Next, you should plug in your GPS receiver into an available serial port. DO NOT ASSUME THAT YOU KNOW WHAT COM PORT IT IS. This is the thing that often causes problems. The next step is critical to your success or failure in a smooth setup of your GPS connection...

5. Go to the start menu on your Windows computer - right click your mouse and look for "Device Manager" - left click your mouse to open that window. In the list look for "Ports" and you'll see there is an arrow to open up this folder for more options. You should see something like "Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COM#). Take note of the COM# (it could be 2,4, 6, 9 etc). You can now close that window. Remember the number.

6. Now go to the Start menu again on your Windows computer - type in "GPS Complete" to bring up matching results. It should locate the program you just downloaded in Step 3 - it is called GPSComplete 64.exe - tap that to open the program window. You'll be asked "do you want to make changes to your computer" - select yes.

7. The program will open with the heading GPSComplete Status. Select the Drivers tab at the top. Then click the first button labelled Install Driver.

8. A window will pop up - at NMEA source you must select from the pulldown list the COM # you identified at step 5. Below this, is Baud/Port - you must select 4800. Do not make any other changes on this screen - now just press the OK button at the bottom.

9. You will get a message confirming it was successful and to try the Sensor Explorer to test it. So now select the Tools tab at the top of the program and select Sensor Explorer.

10. A new pop up window will appear split into 2 panels. On the left will be a list of any devices plugged into your COM ports. Hopefully you only have 1 item here and it should be your GPS receiver. Tap on the row showing its long description in the Name column.

11. That will create a long list of data to appear in the RHS pane. This will reveal if the GPS receiver is receiving data. You should ideally be outside or near a window so that your receiver has a line of sight to the sky - it will take a few minutes to acquire satellites. In the list, you will see X Y Z. Initially these will show a value of 0 until the GPS has fully acquired. Scroll down the list to item 26 which will show you "Satellites in View". Initially this will also show 0.

12. Until you have at least 4 satellites in view and can see data in the X Y Z columns your GPS is not ready to use. Once it is, then you can open the ExplorOz Traveller app and it can centre the map on your location. (The symbol on the map screen above the zoom+ needs to be orange). Tap to turn On, or Tap to turn off. See video tutorial on our ExplorOz YouTube Channelor user manual for more information about using the GPS Lock, Zoom and Speed Panel tools.

If step 12 fails, you have setup the Driver on the wrong COM port and will need to remove the driver. To do this, tap the Drivers tab at the top of the GPS Complete program window and select Remove Driver. Then repeat Step 5 above. Then go to Step 8 and continue through the next steps until you reach success at step 12.

NOTE: Remember the COM port you have the plugged your GPS into for future use, otherwise each time you change ports you'll have to uninstall the driver and then install the driver to the new port.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638822

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 20:07

Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 20:07
Michelle
Thanks for reminding me why i don’t use Windows anymore ;)
FollowupID: 917611

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 20:46

Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 20:46
Yes Wicket its a stupid system that they don't provide their own sensor driver built in. This is why the Android and Apple platforms by far are more popular than the Windows as far as Apps go.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917612

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 20:57

Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 20:57
"Thanks for reminding me why i don’t use Windows anymore ;)"

I have contemplated a change to the dark side more than once, but a complete changeover of desktops, laptops, tablets and phones would cost well in excess of $10k. And Apple with its proprietary standards has ensured that a progressive changeover is less workable than living with Windows so I see no change for our house in the foreseeable future.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917614

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 21:14

Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 21:14
There are more and more people running multiple platforms these days. Choosing Android or Apple for their portable devices and keeping Windows for their desktop devices.

You can stay away from the above problem by keeping your GPS navigation software (eg. the Traveller app) on your portable devices with built-in or external GPS as these platforms don't require the silly setup outlined above that is only required for Windows. And then using your desktop computer at HOME only for your trip planning - we provide for this by offering "Members" a free desktop app for use in the webbrowser - thus avoiding the need to go down the route of buying the Windows store version of Traveller. Home planning can be done on Wifi or 4G network with no requirement for satellite location ie. no need for a GPS device.

The above scenario/steps is ONLY for those that wish to use their Windows device as their navigation device - hence away from the internet connection and thereby requiring the external GPS receiver to get location services from the satellites.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917617

Sponsored Links