1980 Viscount pop top model?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 28, 2021 at 12:22
ThreadID: 143027 Views:4603 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Partner and I have purchased what we believe is a 1980 viscount pop top camper van - but I’m wondering if anyone could give details on the model, if at all possible please? [Image cannot be loaded][Image cannot be loaded]
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Dec 28, 2021 at 20:26

Tuesday, Dec 28, 2021 at 20:26
It is not a pop-top caravan, it is a hard top camper trailer (see the definitions in the file at the bottom.) One of the things I know about those older camper trailers is they do not take kindly to be erected without the rear steadies being wound down. The weight of the top tends to stress the chassis and bows them downward, particularly on the door side.

If it is a good clean unit with no water damage then it should give you good service for many years.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638936

Reply By: Erad - Tuesday, Dec 28, 2021 at 20:45

Tuesday, Dec 28, 2021 at 20:45
I don't know the model details etc, but we used to have a later model Viscount camper like this. It served us very well over the 15 years and 120000 km we owned it.

Looking at the photos, you have extra tracks on the top edge of front and presumably back of the roof. Buy some fly sheets and fit them before you raise the roof. On the first trip with our van, we stopped first night out at Hay NSW. Next morning there was a frost as good as I have seen in Cooma where we live. My wife sleeps on her back and huffed and puffed so much that the condensation on the underside of the bed canvas was raining on her in the morning. Next day we bought some flysheets in Mildura - no more problems.

Also, get some plastic sheets to cover the bedding before you fold down the roof. If the canvas is wet, it will save the bed from being wet the next night.

Our van had a slight depression in the roof. When it rained, water would pool in this, and as I lowered the roof, it would all pour down over me. It took me years before I worked out what to do, and I eventually hid under the fly sheet as the roof came down.

The roof on our van used to sway violently under strong winds. Eventually I fitted anchors to each corner, and under windy conditions, I used to tie the roof down with guy ropes to help stabilise it. The swaying was worst across the van rather than along it.

The front right corner looks as if it has been repaired. Keep checking this for leaks.

Being such a low vehicle when folded, your fuel consumption will be much better than a comparable full height or even a poptop caravan.
AnswerID: 638937

Reply By: Member - Gordon B5 - Tuesday, Dec 28, 2021 at 21:34

Tuesday, Dec 28, 2021 at 21:34
If you get on to F/B ; Viscount Caravan Owners - Australia And ask Shelley Regan what year it is she or Hughdeany Miller will tell you. Post a pic of the number on the drawbar, Shelley is keeping a register of Viscount vans. very helpful site considering its on F/B
He who hesitates is lost

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638939

Sponsored Links