Out and About in the Pilbara.

G'day Explorers

I trust 2022 will be an adventurous year for you, all things Covid considered.

So here I am about to tell you about stuff that's not overly useful to many of you outside of Western Australia ~ at the moment.

I watched a brace of well travelled YouTube Adventurers make a meal of writing their words of wisdom in the Logbook at the Hickman Crater, this seemingly simple though vital task has always been difficult at the best of times, but add in a blustery hot day, multiple plastic bags the logbook was kept in just to try and keep it weather proof, simply made the visit recording painful to watch, luckily the resident Huntsman Spider didn't make a sudden appearance charging up an arm when the book was accessed.

Now there is a better weather proof structure that houses the logbook and writing implements, the logbook station is also a reasonable surface to use as a writing table, just remember to latch the thing closed to try and keep Mr Huntsman out in the elements.

Please be aware the metal structure and flat surface gets decidedly HOT even on a mild Pilbara day.

So if your Adventures bring you to the Hickman Crater, consider an entry in the logbook, you might just help preserve the Crater for adventurers in the future.

Safe Travels : Joe F

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Monday, Jan 10, 2022 at 00:44

Monday, Jan 10, 2022 at 00:44
We visited your friend Mr Huntsman in Sept 2021 and he was pretty placid then also so I guess he's used to all those pesky travellers. Filling out the log book was a bit of a challenge in the wind but is was completed with no missing pages. Thanks for making it easier.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 639046

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Monday, Jan 10, 2022 at 15:34

Monday, Jan 10, 2022 at 15:34
G'day Rocket Rod

I appreciate your response regarding Mr Huntsman, it is quite amazing how quickly the bugger could move once it decided to unravel it's self, just as the logbook was lifted.

I had the technical advantage of being the first visitor signing in the logbook for this season, but I was not the last visitor for 2021 as an adventurous father and son team from Port Hedland came in on the last day of 2021, I have recorded their visit accordingly in the first entry for this year.

The logbook entries may not appear to be anything more than people writing a few words about getting to or being at the Crater on the day, but my personal hope is that the more people who know about such places and if there is a means of recording your visit, please spend the time and record your moment in time as you may well play a part in saving or protecting a magnificent structure such as the Hickman Crater, someone's great grand children might just say 'Thank You' in 2050.

Safe travels : Joe F

FollowupID: 917928

Sponsored Links