Towing Campers

Submitted: Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1431 Views:2372 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya All,

We are planning a trip to The Kimberley's for two months next year and was wondering how would we go towing a 4x4 camper. We have spotted a few "Kimberley Kampers" being towed and they looked pretty sturdy, anyone know how one of these would go. Any ideas anyone can throw our way regarding their experiences with campers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Michelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lizard - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00
We have towed an off road camper trailer (a Cavalier deluxe) on five outback trips - Kimberleys , Bungle Bungles , Mitchell falls , Great central road , Kakadon't , Lake Gairdner etc , and have had no problems - easy to tow & easy to set up & comfortable.
AnswerID: 4690

Reply By: skippyking - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle, there is a very big range of OFF-ROAD campers available, from the basic and usually less expensive model, right up to the "all mod cons" very expensive. It all depends what you want in a camper trailer? Where you are in Oz, depends on whats available. There are many small firms that don't go to the 4wd and caravan & camping shows that make good campers and don't cost the earth. Go along to the above shows, search the Yellow pages, read the classifieds, 4wd magazines, the 'net, get an idea of whats available and if you see something you like, see if you can hire it, or one like it, for a weekend to see if it does suit. Although I would recommend an off-road camper for the Kimberleys, I know of a camper that isn't an off-road type and looks like a piece of s#*#, but has explored some very remote and rugged places. They just take care and go steady. Personally, we have a Swagman Billabong, made here in WA, that is built for the off-road. Try this site on Yahoo for specifics on camper trailers; it's very informative. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/ Grant
AnswerID: 4691

Reply By: Member - Jim - Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle
Yes you can tow a trailer through the Kimberleys, and as Lizard and Skippyking have replied there are quite a number available on the market, rent one and try it out. The main difference in cost is either in the suspension or the layout/storage. I have a "Track" and it has travelled extensively including the Canning South to North.
You just need to drive sensibly (as we all do most of the time) and think ahead as your car wont respond the same with the trailer on.
Enjoy
Regards Jim
AnswerID: 4714

Reply By: Member - Jim - Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle
Yes you can tow a trailer through the Kimberleys, and as Lizard and Skippyking have replied there are quite a number available on the market, rent one and try it out. The main difference in cost is either in the suspension or the layout/storage. I have a "Track" and it has travelled extensively including the Canning South to North.
You just need to drive sensibly (as we all do most of the time) and think ahead as your car wont respond the same with the trailer on.
Enjoy
Regards Jim
AnswerID: 4715

Reply By: wayne - Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle

there is a group on Yahoo groups called camper trailers (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/) that I belong too

you will need to be accepted by the moderator - to reduce spam but the group deals with camper trailer issues ideas trips etc. It covers most models so you get a good range of opinions and ideas

Also we have just returned from the kimberleys towing a trak shak camper trailer with no problems.

Rgds

Wayne
AnswerID: 5015

Sponsored Links