Tsunami

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 16, 2022 at 17:36
ThreadID: 143112 Views:4582 Replies:4 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Well we all know about it on the east coast by now. ABC news, TV, radio word of mouth.
I've posted before if an event occured on the west coast Carnarvon to Derby. This idilic coastline of Australia is as flat as for kilometres inland. If an undersea event occurred near closeby Sumatra it would devastate this coastline.
There is no mobile contact,TV or much else to to warn thousands of aussie tourists camped right on the waterline.
At one time not long ago the ABC would transmit news broadcasts on the HF frequency and if you were camped there for a week or two it was good to tune in and hear what was happening on the rest of the island.
To my knowledge you on yer own if an event occurred.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B - Sunday, Jan 16, 2022 at 20:35

Sunday, Jan 16, 2022 at 20:35
I think the ABC decision to delete the HF broadcast is a short sighted decision.
I would be interested in how people get their news when in remote locations now.
It was also handy when sports were being played.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639113

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jan 16, 2022 at 21:37

Sunday, Jan 16, 2022 at 21:37
The ABC decision would have been due to government budget cuts. Around half the voting population seem to want the ABC gone which is a real shame.
FollowupID: 918038

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 08:06

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 08:06
In practical terms there are not a lot of HF radios being used these days so the benefits are to a minority
FollowupID: 918041

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 08:33

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 08:33
Think a lot of people go remote to get away from the News William.
Dave.
FollowupID: 918042

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 09:36

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 09:36
Spot on Dave.
Getting away from the news and people.
Always was handy to hear the cricket or the footy though.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 918045

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:51

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:51
Michael H9
There have been NO budget cuts to the ABC despite the claim from them and some political parties. If the amount they get is checked you will see no cuts. ABC does some good programs but also concentrate on issues not related to news, ie, gender theory and stirring racial unrest, and so they cut services to what they think, not what you or the population think. Out of control with anti Australian agendas. The HF service to Aus is simply collateral damage as it only benefitted a few and they don't have a say. they don't mind and you don't matter. All controlled by big city boys who hate Australia and Australians.
When will people stop believing the ABC as true and honest? A lot of folk haven't woken up yet. ie, Anti WOKE.
FollowupID: 918050

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 13:44

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 13:44
Thank you RMD. ten out of ten.

FollowupID: 918052

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 14:08

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 14:08
Alby,
I don't agree about HF users being a minority.
I'm waiting for the VKS737 to return an email as to subscriber numbers. I think it would exceed 5000 and a high percentage of them are remote travellers. And many outback stations still use the frequency.The RFDS still use HF.
More to the point HF travellers are quite willing to share information with other travellers like current weather and road conditions.
In cases of road trauma and other emegencies it well documented where a mobile HF has reported an incident in a remote location to the VKS network the controller knows which service to respond, which airstrips are closest for fixed wing and which properties have RFDS medical kits.
There are just under 10,000 subscribers to the VKS737 network alone.

FollowupID: 918053

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 22:26

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 22:26
Read the other day that one of Labor's election promises is to reinstate the NT short wave service.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918067

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 13:59

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 13:59
RMD..What are the anti Australian agendas you speak of?
AnswerID: 639117

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 16:09

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 16:09
Bigfish.
Many people, older people too, used to "trust" the ABC, I used too as well. Many trusting folk now longer do trust and have realized what the ABC now is. If you haven't noticed the trends and media bias and absolute waste of taxpayer money over the last 10 or more years, then maybe you never will! Sad.
FollowupID: 918061

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 16:25

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 16:25
Does not answer my question regarding your statement..

You have only made a large generalisation.

I would like to know about these anti Australian progamms/shows/announcments.

FollowupID: 918062

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 19:26

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 19:26
Ah the sweet smell of bovine manure, rarely absent from many Exploroz threads. Never let the facts get in the way of a biased and uniformed opinion I always say.

ABC Budget Cuts

Or in the ABC's own words:
"In 1987 the ABC famously cost eight cents a day. Adjusted for inflation and population growth, the ABC today costs each Australian just half that amount.

Since the mid-1980s our real funding has decreased by 28% or $336 million. Our funding is 34% lower than the average of 18 comparable public broadcasters."

It's deja vu RMD, but your opinion on ABC matters deserves examination. My radar tells me it's somewhere between a load of cobblers and a crock.

Is the ABC anti-Australian? Personally I can see no evidence for that at all - in fact I think it's an outrageous and borderline paranoid view . I very much doubt the vast majority of Australians would support the notion.

While you're searching for an answer to Bigfish's question, here's one from me: what funds does the ABC "waste" exactly? Gathering together your vast experience in the provision of news, ca, entertainment, modern radio and TV services, new broadcasting technologies etc and their related costs it shouldn't be difficult to provide a breakdown for we less enlightened plebs. They aren't perfect by any means so tracking down this so called waste should be simple enough.

Despite your regular hyperbolic rants about the ABC , national media and ABC feedback surveys year on year show Australians value their national broadcaster highly, significantly above the alternatives.

The ABC news and current affairs depts don't set agendas, they explore them according to the ABC Charter. First time I've seen anyone claim they stir up racial unrest, but nothing surprises wrt ignorant and hyperbolic claims made by their detractors these days.

FollowupID: 918064

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 22:15

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 22:15
Don't have to send for you do we Bazooka, ya like the tide. So with all that support I gather you'd be happy to hold a referendum at the next election as to whether to privatise the ABC.
As for wastage take Media Watch as an example. 10 people to produce a 20 minute program once a week.
Dave.
FollowupID: 918066

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 23:05

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 23:05
You have a problem with me pointing out the obvious David? Happy to put your opinion out there but don't like alternative views, facts or reality checks? Seems a common trait these days.

There's no need or mechanism for a referendum to privatise the ABC - as you know referenda are solely for changes to the Constitution. The federal govt could simply make regulatory changes to the Act, but they won't be doing that for two obvious reasons: (1) the Senate would be unlikely to support it; (2) it would be electoral suicide. Far smarter to gradually reduce the ABC's budget so that it becomes less effective and independent, and its services problematic. We're a long way from that at this point despite the regular budgetary cuts.

But to answer your question: Yep, apart from the unnecessary cost I'd have no problem with a plebiscite on ABC privatisation, and I'd also put my house on the result.

I take your MW comment the the grain of salt it deserves. What I suspect you actually mean is that you don't like the content and presentation - pretty much the same driver for the anti-ABC brigade in general.
FollowupID: 918068

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 09:25

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 09:25
Not anti ABC at all. Would just like to see it comply with its charter obligation to provide fair, accurate and impartial news.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.
Had high hopes on Ita's appointment but that turned out to be great disappointment, as did David's. ( like to be on first name terms with my employees) :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 918071

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 09:27

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 09:27
Like RMD you are alleging ABC makes up its own facts..please give me a couple of examples of them making up their own facts.
FollowupID: 918072

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 09:33

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 09:33
How much have the ABC paid out in litigation costs and the fees to their lawyers laterly and you still think they are not biased in their reporting.
FollowupID: 918073

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:33

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:33
Do the names Pascoe or Laming or Luna Park Ghost Train ring a bell Bigfish ? I could go on but I won't.
Dave.
FollowupID: 918074

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:36

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:36
If you have any evidence that the ABC is not following its charter or inventing "facts" for some perceived nefarious purpose (overthrowing democracy or undermining the Australian way of life perhaps?) feel free to collate it and send it to their complaints unit David. Before you do though I'm sure some on this forum would love to see what these terrible infractions that caused you such dismay actually were.

Alternatively go straight to the Board, which is appointed by the govt of the day and currently includes former News Corp and Foxtel chief Peter Tonagh. As far as I can see EVERY member of the board has been appointed by an LNP govt.

Here's a brief summary of ABC Board members and their backgrounds. Oddly enough (in fact the opposite), not one obvious lefty among them. In the last two decades can you think of any ABC Chair who was from a "left" background or who didn't meet your own exacting standards?

It's probably just me but I find "facts" as referred to by many in the public (and which regularly get aired on forums and in comments on media articles) are more often than not actually perceptions which fit the commenters personal biases, be they right or left or middle. The more extreme the comments, the more likely they are to be invented, fiction or obvious personal ideology. "The ABC hates Australia" being a classic example of all three.

Out of interest what ABC "facts" do you dispute, and was the problem isolated or do you have enough instances of the ABC "making stuff up" which would suggest that it's "anti-Australian" and that it "hates Australia"?

Every large organisation, including the ABC, makes mistakes. It's important that they're held to account and respond according to their charter but anyone who expects perfection in any large media operation will invariably be disappointed.
FollowupID: 918075

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:05
I have no idea about the amount Dick L...how does it compare to Murdochs and Stokes empires?
FollowupID: 918076

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:25
Bazooka.
Evidence ABC is not following its charter or inventing "facts"
As per reply to Bigfish.
Dave.
FollowupID: 918077

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:25
The Laming / Milligan case was interesting insofar as he chose to target her for repeating a term which had been used numerous times already in regard to his photograph of a stranger. Milligan was undoubtedly wrong, unwise and unprofessional to repeat the offending word but as most know Twitter is replete with extremes which do nothing to promote reasoned discourse. Anyone who doesn't know about the Laming story, including alleged harassment of two of his constituents, should do a bit of reading and determine for themselves whether his was appropriate behaviour for an MP.

The Ghost Train program made suggestions of possible political influence by a known criminal. As the ABC review said: “The program makers uncovered much suspicious evidence around arson being the cause of the fire, exposed the incompetence of the police investigation, reported on the inadequacies of earlier investigations, revealed the way policy making by the NSW government benefited Saffron, and the corrupt circle of influence around Saffron. They mounted a compelling case for a new investigation.”

The ABC's big failure (unsurprisingly involving Four Corners which has often pushed the envelope in my opinion) was in the WIng case, a joint investigation with 9. That result alone should send a message to the ABC Board that Four Corners producers need to significantly improve their game.

Do these instances demonstrate ingrained bias or a pervasive anti-Australian bent? Not even close.
FollowupID: 918078

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 15:23

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 15:23
No service Carnarvon to Derby? Lots of it - see map
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639118

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 15:35

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 15:35
Thank you Michelle
A lot has happened since we travelled the west coast.
I don't think we'll get back given the covid regulations in WA we are just running out of time along with lots of other old people.

FollowupID: 918057

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 15:48

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 15:48
Yep COVID turned WA into a tourist mecca - never seen so many caravans and family 4WDrivers. Many upgraded destinations and services, and totally booked out. The wheatbelt however is still peaceful :)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918058

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 20:03

Monday, Jan 17, 2022 at 20:03
The BoM, Geoscience Australia and Home Affairs are responsible for tsunami warnings. They have comprehensive procedures and systems in place.

If you're camped remotely close to the ocean and don't have access to news or BoM alerts (via their app) then in the very unlikely event of a significant tsunami hitting mainland shores you might be out of luck.

Australian Tsunami Warning System
Extract:
"How does the system work?
GA operates an enhanced network of seismic stations nationally and has access to data from international monitoring networks. It advises the Bureau of the magnitude, location and characteristics of a seismic event which has the potential to generate a tsunami.

Based on this seismic information from GA, the Bureau runs a tsunami model to generate a first estimate of the tsunami size, arrival time and potential impact locations. The Bureau verifies the existence of a tsunami using information from an enhanced sea level monitoring network.

The Bureau then promulgates advice and warnings on any possible tsunami threat to State & Territory emergency management services, media and the public.

Home Affairs liaises with the operations centres of affected State and Territory emergency management organisations and coordinates Federal assistance as required.

Home Affairs also has responsibility for improving public awareness and preparedness for tsunami in Australia."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're a science nerd this might be of interest:

The 2018 Australian probabilistic tsunami hazard assessment
AnswerID: 639123

Sponsored Links