Hit by Solar Panels

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 13, 2022 at 19:57
ThreadID: 143236 Views:5269 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Just a reminder for people with rooftop solar panels on their van/vehicle to make sure they are securely fitted.
Last week I was traveling on the Princes Highway near Orbost,Vic, following a campervan when suddenly their Solar Panels came flying off and collided with my Toyota shattering my windscreen and damaged the door pillar,Roof and snorkel.
I was not injured,just showered with glass,not fun at 95/100kmh.
My mate who was traveling behind me caught up with the driver about 15 Kay’s down the road, he didn’t know what happened.
Anyway got all his details etc,his insurance paying for everything.
Very lucky the panel never came into the cab with me.

Cheers Everyone,
Sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Feb 13, 2022 at 20:36

Sunday, Feb 13, 2022 at 20:36
That's scary, Sparra. Sometimes you can be unlucky and lucky at the same time !! Glad ne was identified and was insured. You came out of it pretty well all up.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639442

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:07

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:07
Scary indeed, & not the first instance of an incident like this. To be honest I think it is a matter of luck that this is not far more common.

It might help if those plastic corners sold for panel fixing to vehicle roofs were banned or at least the sellers of them providing safe info about attaching them to vehicle roofs (as well as advising periodic checks of the mounts integrity!

One of the most highly regarded Australian companies producing a variety of electrical components sells these things & advises

" can be attached using the appropriate type/grade of silicone adhesive "

This in my view is close to criminal. As far as I know there is no silicone adhesive suitable for this purpose, unless the word 'silicone' is used as a generic term for 'goo'. And you see folk advising others to use silicone, and/or stating they have used it themselves.

Another Seller of these plastic corners advises using Marine grade Sikaflex. There are Marine grade adhesives in the Sika range which would be suitable, but the commonly seen 'Sika Marine'on the shelves at retail outlets like Bunnings is not one of them. That one is a sealant & unsafe to use for attaching panels to vehicle roofs. (Contrary to the dangerous advice I have read on most RV forums at some time or another).

Then there is the issue (only anecdotal - no direct experience as I wouldn't use them myself) I have read over the years of these plastic corner mounts deteriorating - UV affected.

I am certain that there are many many RV's out there with dangerously attached solar panels, & my automatic reaction is, to stay well away from an RV on the road which has panels attached as a result.

FWIW I have mounted solar panels on two vehicles & am totally confident in their security. I used aluminium angle which the panels are bolted (not screwed) to, using nyloc nuts.
The aluminium angle is mounted to the vehicle roof, metal to metal (not onto the paint), with the metal of both surfaces lightly roughed up with emery cloth, & then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol before applying a correct thickness bed of the correct Sikaflex adhesive. Sika themselves advise Sika 252 in combination with their specific primer. However I , and many folk I know have used Sika 11Fc for decades, which is a sealant/adhesive, cheaper & easier to use than 252. The panels on the roof of our current vehicle have now been on there for 10 years & over 1000'skms of rough outback roads & tracks & remain as solidly in place as when first fitted - I still check them periodically & I believe that if an attempt were made to lift the car using the panel mounts that the aluminium would let go before the adhesive.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918546

Reply By: Member - William B - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 13:38

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 13:38
Further to Cuppa's comments I asked Sika for recommendations and they replied as follows.

Hello William,
I would suggest you look at our Sikaflex 252 along with our cleaner(s) and primer(s) as per the attached data.

Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 639465

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 07:08

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 07:08
You lucky not to be hurt. They should be pop riveted or screwed on by law none of this double sided tape or sikaflex rubbish they need to be secure. If people are not willing to drill a hole in their van roof to fit them or mount them on roof racks they shouldn't have them what's a life worth ?
AnswerID: 639478

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 09:47

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 09:47
The skin on the top of a van is not secured to the cross members. It is of too light a gauge to hold pop rivets. It is strong enough to carry solar panels in the mounts spread over a large enough an area and the preparation is done well enough. It is advice like that that leads me to say that the installations should be done by caravan service people or other people who have had the required experience attaching other similar things. I don't think the task should be given to the average auto sparkie.

That is extremely bad advice you just offered.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918568

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 16:29

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 16:29
If the roof skin is not secure enough to rivet panels to it then how could it possibly be strong enough to sikaflex them doesn't make sense the same wind force will be hitting them. Maybe combine the both to make sure using strips of alloy angle riveted and sikaflexed to the roof you can make a tapered leading edge for aero to help reduce stress from the wind trying to rip the panels off. And the panels will have a gap to reduce heat when parked up.
FollowupID: 918581

Follow Up By: Chris v6 - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 20:39

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 20:39
roof panels are glued on cars so there are glues available
FollowupID: 918585

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 23:54

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 23:54
Batt's it is all tied up with distributed loads. If you spread the load across a large enough area you can attach a fairly large load. Pop-rivets are a point source attachment. They are very easy to pull out of thin gauge metal.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918586

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 13:32

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 13:32
Batts, no insult intended, but your view harks back to earlier times. Using the correct adhesive correctly outperforms rivets any day.

I think we are all in agreement that the panels on vehicle roofs being poorly secured is dangerous though.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 918592

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 16:28

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 16:28
I'm not the sort of person that would just rely on whatever adhesve is recommended no matter how good it's suppose to be. I'm a lot more responsible than that and can't for the life of me understand how others can honestly feel good with themselves solely relying on some adhesive that breaks down overtime without also using a 2nd way of helping to secure items like solar panels. I have 2 panels very securely attached to my ute's chequer plate canopy but if I couldn't do the same to a van I would rather go without.
FollowupID: 918602

Follow Up By: Chris v6 - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 17:23

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 17:23
the thing is if you have a late model car it will have panels solely glued on and they do not come off
FollowupID: 918603

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 18:10

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 18:10
Not just late model cars Chris. There are plenty of motorhomes & caravans with composite fibreglass 'sandwich' panel construction getting around & have been for more than a decade where the design has no frame & the whole lot is held together by sikaflex or similar adhesive products & no mechanical fasteners. They are stronger & lighter than 'traditionally built' products & have both now stood the test of time & the test of long term usage off road & across the world.

No one disputes that solar panels fixed well onto vehicle roofs are safe, and Batt's expressed preference to remain 'old school' with what he knows is perfectly valid. However his distrust & criticism of modern adhesives looks like Luddism to me.

FollowupID: 918606

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 10:20

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 10:20
The average DIY person has no idea of the air pressure on items on the roof at 100kph. All to often we see a Bunnings Bandit or some other shopper heading down the road with sheet metal,ply, mattresses or something straning at the cheap chinese ropes (legally supposed to be straps - but ...) trying to get off the roof and into someones car....so glad you are OK
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639483

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 15:21

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 15:21
That would have been absolutely scary, I am pleased you and your passengers are safe!
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 639504

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 10:01

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 10:01
Glad you got out of that one ok, the instinct to swerve or do something that would make you lose control would be hard to resist. I wonder how common being struck by flying panels, other shed debris is? I saw a Ranger parked at the Sutton Forest service centre off the Hume with a big football sized hole in the windscreen. It had been unsuccessfully patched with black plastic sheeting and duct tape. You wouldn't want to have been in the passenger seat. Several years ago I had a tyre destroyed on the Hume when a Land Cruiser in the other lane threw up a bit of truck tread lying on the road, it hit my tyre and ripped off a lug and chunk of rubber down to the belts. Whenever I'm on the highway behind a truck carrying sheet metal I'm always glad when we part company.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 639519

Follow Up By: Member - sparra - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 17:36

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 17:36
Yeah Warren,my first instinct was to keep it straight A’s the wire rope safety barrier was on my left pretty close ??
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918604

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 10:08

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 10:08
On a lighter note, I do remember a story from the 60's of a stunned but still living Wedgie joining a bloke in the cab of a ute.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 639520

Reply By: happy go lucky - Saturday, Feb 19, 2022 at 23:52

Saturday, Feb 19, 2022 at 23:52
We came along just after it happened, saw your mate catch up with the driver at the traffic block. Pleased to hear you were not injured, we could see your windscreen was gone.
AnswerID: 639545

Reply By: mac3 - Monday, Mar 07, 2022 at 18:28

Monday, Mar 07, 2022 at 18:28
https://www.thegreynomads.com.au/solar/#:~:text=Three%20people%20have%20died%20after,the%20Midland%20Highway%20near%20Ross.

Surprised this one hasn't come up, a tragedy for sure
AnswerID: 639757

Sponsored Links