Charging curve

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 07:25
ThreadID: 143240 Views:10384 Replies:7 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
Question to those running lithiums.
Is the voltage curve for charging pretty much the same as the discharge.
Does it achieve near full voltage pretty much straight away then continue to take substantial amounts of current with very little voltage increase or is it a little more linear?
Does a drop in replacement make the volt meter in an AGM circuit useless?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 08:09

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 08:09
We have been traveling full-time for almost 8 years with our 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 battery. It is charged via 800W worth of solar panels and directly from our Canter 100A rated alternator while driving.

Solar can be anything from zero to 50A and the alternator typically 75-80A. No smoke yet despite all the naysayers and irrelevant YouTube videos.
All charging sources are set at 14.1V bulk and the battery will take all the current pushed at it (c130A while driving) until it is 100% SOC. When the battery terminals reach that 14.1V at whatever current it is ALWAYS full and the current quickly drops to all but zero within a minute or three. Increasing the voltage to 14.5V takes about 10 seconds and pointless with no added capacity.
During the day once full the solar controller is set to drop the voltage (float) to 13.45V where the battery maintains 99-100% SOC until the sun goes down and it is typically 80-85% SOC by dawn waiting to start the cycle again.

My advice FWIW leave the voltmeter in place but invest in a quality battery monitor that will set you back somewhere between $40 - 200.

I have to play with here. Juntek 1300 ($40), Junctek KG140 ($80) and a Victron SmartShunt.
They all work perfectly and agree with each other to within 1-2% SOC.
AnswerID: 639447

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 09:34

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 09:34
Thanks Scubadoo,
Great to hear about your system and thanks for the advice about the meter.
Also good to know float charging is acceptable as early in the piece it was a no no, as was storing them fully charged (myths? Maybe so)
My in car charger bulk charges to 14.5 and there will be occasions where the campers AGM battery will be paralled whilst driving but the 2 systems are stand alone when not driving so not having to alter the charging settings is a bonus. That will take a bit of experimenting. To be sure it will behave as I expect it will. The camper battery is newish so wont need replacing for a few years.
Hoping to find a battery that doesnt mind under bonnet use with bluetooth monitoring. I dont like to micro manage my system once I get the feeling of how to manage it, just pull up throw the panels out then get on with doing very little.
FollowupID: 918528

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:04

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:04
"Hoping to find a battery that doesnt mind under bonnet use with bluetooth monitoring."

DCS lithiums meet these requirements. I have one under bonnet. Only had it for a couple of months, but so far so good.
FollowupID: 918529

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:22

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:22
Thanks Bristie,
Just the sort of feedback I was hoping for.
FollowupID: 918531

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 13:09

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 13:09
QC,
Lithium "float charging", sometimes designated as "supply mode", is acceptable for a battery working in a system where charging and discharging are occurring regularly such as when camping and touring.
What is not acceptable is lengthy storing of a lithium in a high state of charge. If unused, say during the off-season, it should be brought to and left at about 50% SoC. No myths, always was so. With regular camping use there is no problem.

In the "supply" mode, the charger voltage is maintained at 13.5v and serves to maintain the constant light duty loads. Should the battery voltage fall to 13.3v then the 'Bulk' phase is restarted. Using a charger with an AGM algorithm will still manage reasonably well but may not contain some of these features.

A similar issue can occur when a lithium is employed in a standby function as with a UPS. Some such systems employ an algorithm which allows, or even regularly induces, the SoC to decay down to about 60% or 13.5v before initiating the bulk charging cycle to return to 100% SoC.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918533

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 13:36

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 13:36
"What is not acceptable is lengthy storing of a lithium in a high state of charge. "

This is something that I have wondered about. In addition to the under-bonnet DCS, my near-new Kimberley Karavan comes with 2 x 200 Enerdrive lithiums, and a pair of Enerdrive chargers - a DC2DC and an AC charger. The Kimberley documentation says to store the van plugged into AC, and thus with the batteries kept at full charge. Or that's how it seems, as whenever I check they're at 100%.

Kimberley are most emphatic about this. Not what I would have done with other battery types, but lithiums are new to me.

What do you classify as "lengthy", Allan?
FollowupID: 918534

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 13:53

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 13:53
@QC: A couple of further comments on DCS.

If you read the fine print, the warranty for under-bonnet applications is reduced from 4 years to 3. In reality there isn't enough evidence yet to guess at what the typical under-bonnet longevity is, and probably depends on the location of the battery in the engine bay.

The location doesn't seem too bad in a 150 Prado, but the 100Ah battery is a very tight fit in that spot. There is a 90Ah version that is smaller, and you can also get a dual 90Ah kit that also replaces the start battery.

The 100Ah DCS doesn't have a solar input, so I have an Anderson plug in the front grill, and use a solar regulator. One of the batteries in the dual kit does have a solar input.

The bluetooth works really well, if you're standing right next to the battery. I was concerned that I'd have to connect and login each time to read the SoC etc, e.g. like a wifi connection to a Simarine, but you just open the app on your phone, select the battery, and it works. Brilliant.
FollowupID: 918535

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 15:43

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 15:43
Bristie,
Having a quick look at DCS, are your batteries lithium ion or lifep04?
The DCS add i found was for their lithium ion battery and obviously because they are selling them they are the ducks nuts of batteries.
However there are other articles branding lithium ion batteries the most likley to over heat and catch fire as boeing found out.
Just confusing with almost everything on the net has a contradictory article.

Does anyone know if independant studies have been done by the likes of CSIRO or even choice magazine?

Every company blurb rates their own product as by far the best.
FollowupID: 918536

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 15:46

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 15:46
Hi Briste,

On the subject of 'storing' lithium batteries..............
The internet still abounds with the recommendation to discharge to about 40% SOC . Many may be old postings but some seem more recent. Like all matters about batteries there seem to be much contrasting advice and opinion. The Enerdrive Owner's Manual for my 200Ah B-TEC makes no mention of it that I can see. I have emailed them for advice and will post it here when received.

Re "Under-bonnet battery location" .........
My AGM under the Troopy bonnet was prematurely failing (3 years) so I set up a thermocouple at the battery with readout in the cab and went for a drive.... Mild day under 30c, flat highway route, speed 60-80km/hr. When the temperature passed 70 degrees I felt I had my answer. Thought about how high it may go when dragging across the Simpson on a hot day!
So I rigged up a heat shield (photo below) which had a good fresh airflow coming through from the front. A similar trial on the road had the temperature at the battery being the same as ambient, so the heat shield stayed, although several years later the AGM was relocated to the cabin. AGM life now went to 5 years.
If I had my way there would be no battery under the lid and some vehicles do not. But I appreciate that some people have no option about location........ but heat shielding may be an option.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918537

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 21:39

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 21:39
@QC: My LIFEPO4 battery is this one:https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/product/dcs-12v-100ah-lithium-ion/

I only have one of them in the 4WD. My starting battery is the standard Toyota one. My auto-electrician just fitted this dual DCS system to his brand new Hilux: https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/product/ultimate-dcs-12v-180ah-dual-battery-system-lithium/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Allan - will be very interested in anything you dig up on how to store lithiums. I think the second battery position in the Prado is better than in your Troopy. So far I haven't seen any temperatures of concern as reported by the battery's bluetooth module. A heat shield is an option if I do.
FollowupID: 918541

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 09:01

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 09:01
Well thats confusing, the side of the battery states LiFeP04, yet the top says lithium ion, to my understanding two different chemistries.

Gotta love the internet.

Please dont think I am arguing with you, just trying to sort things out in my head.
FollowupID: 918542

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:34

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:34
I understand that there are about 5 or more different "lithium ion" chemistries. LiFePO4 is one of them.
EDIT: https://www.marsen.com.au/lithium-explained/lithium-chemistry-explained/
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918543

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:55

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:55
Now that was a very helpful artical Peter and or Margaret. Puts many things in perspective.
First time I have seen it explained on a molecular level instead of a sales pitch.

Basically means all lead/ sulphuric acid batteries could come under "hydrogen ion" banner if the same concept was applied.
FollowupID: 918544

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:56

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:56
I think not "two different chemistries". Just a shortcut in expression maybe? After all, "Lithium Ion" is a generality embracing "LiFePO4".
As Peter says, there are a number of cell types under the Lithium Ion umbrella and some purveyors may be using the confusion toward their own ends. Although not necessarily so in this case.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918545

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:26

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:26
Agree with Briste,

In my Prado 120 I have never seen the battery more than 10C above ambient while driving, on a stinking hot day it will get higher when you turn the engine off due to heat soak until the motor cools down. When driving the battery is cooled by the air steam coming through the back of the head light mounting so battery remains pretty cool. Other cars will be different, I have read that Nissan Patrols cook their batteries so fitting a Lithium under bonnet in one of them might not be a good idea.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918550

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:31

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:31
Alan,

I believe the old land rovers used to mount the battery in a battery box that was cooled by a fan, you would think the latest vehicles would have thermal management of the batteries considering the greater stresses placed on them but I guess it all gets back to max profit for least effort.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918551

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:40

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:40
What's printed on the battery, keep in mind a lot of batteries are made in China and there is often miscommunication between the manufacturer and the purchaser, in a lot of cases the purchaser may have little knowledge of the product their selling. If they have ordered 10000 units for the discount and then find on delivery the printing on the battery is not as exactly specified it's a bit late to do anything about it. Surely you say you would check the protype is correct, and no doubt they do . Trouble is you work with the company to get it right and they delivery a good batch. You order another run and find it has regressed back two or three versions.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918552

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:49

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:49
Forgot to add cars aesthetics in many cases overrides engineer aspects as to what's a good location for the battery.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918553

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:58

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:58
Leigh, I never saw a Land Rover with a battery fan (not to say that they did not exist) but the old Series 1 that I drove around Woomera in 1955 certainly had its battery under the floor. It didn't get much maintenance even though I was in charge of the Range E battery maintenance section (of two men. lol)
I thought that I had seen it similarly in later models too. VW of course had it under the back seat and vehicle aficionados would know much more than I.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918554

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 12:02

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 12:02
I think, with the automotive industry, economics and convenience of manufacture overrides everything!!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918555

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 12:08

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 12:08
Your no doubt correct Alan, was on one of the car restoration shows where I saw the battery box, come to think of it may have been a range rover, it had an air suspension setup too.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918556

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 12:19

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 12:19
The chinese sales people tell lies, tell you what you want to hear then when the cells arrive they openly admit they lied saying that they all do it.
Ray builds cool stuff did a video about his experience.
Had a rather large bunch of cells delivered to the US and they were damaged, mismatched, faulty and so on.
He was happy to get his money back less the freight if he returned them to a warehouse near him.
Then he recieved an email stating that in the time it took to settle the dispute the cell prices had increased so they could sell them for more than he paid and thanked him for importing them from china for them.
FollowupID: 918557

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 23:35

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 23:35
"Leigh, I never saw a Land Rover with a battery fan (not to say that they did not exist)"

The D1 and D2 that I had had the batteries isolated from the rest of the engine compartment. The front of the boxes had an opening to the grill so that the fresh air was forced through them whilst you were driving.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918564

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:07

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:07
Hi qldcamper,

For any battery to accept charge, the charging voltage must be above the battery's nominal 'at-rest' voltage otherwise current will not flow. Because of this, the terminal voltage during charging does not offer any meaningful indication of battery State of Charge. This is especially so for lithium batteries because of their low internal resistance and almost flat voltage/SoC relationship.
Control of lithium charging is therefore achieved by monitoring the charge current then terminating charging when this falls to a setting of 3-6 Amps.
The battery terminal voltage does rise during the charge cycle but it is a small change and the actual value may vary due to reasons such as temperature and battery condition so it is not reliable for determining the SoC during charging.
On the other hand, the low resistance of both the charger and battery will reflect significant current change as the rising battery voltage approaches the charger voltage which then is used to terminate the charge.

If the charger then goes to a 'float' or 'supply' mode, the terminal voltage will be maintained at 13.0-13.8v which may be taken to indicate that the battery is fully charged.

In summary, it is difficult to determine the battery SoC during the charge cycle by voltage observation. Only battery monitors which incorporate 'Joule counting" where the charge and discharge current is integrated and used to indicate SoC will provide meaningful indication of the SoC.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 639451

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:17

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:17
Thanks for the input Allan,
I have only a 25 amp charger so I could get a rough idea of the SOC by the amount of time it took to climb through from 13.9 volts after the battery had been doing its thing for a couple of days through to 14.5.
Baring in mind there is no load on the accessory battery when the engine is running.
Yes the surface charge affect comes into it, but when you have been looking at the same thing for several years you get a feel for whats going on from just the volt meter....on AGM batteries, not so sure about lithiums hence the question.
FollowupID: 918530

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:42

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:42
Lithium batteries do not exhibit a 'surface charge' in the manner of lead-acid batteries. What you see is what you've got, more-or-less.

Chargers profiled for AGM can be used to charge lithium batteries (with reservations) but be very sure that the charger does not incorporate a "reconditioning" mode for sulphate removal. It can harm your lithium.

Much is published about lithium batteries and their charging but this one seems comprehensive and easy to understand.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918532

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 16:06

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 16:06
Thanks Allan, an interesting read.
FollowupID: 918538

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 16:26

Monday, Feb 14, 2022 at 16:26
"Does it achieve near full voltage pretty much straight away then continue to take substantial amounts of current with very little voltage increase or is it a little more linear?"

I have not done any measurements on lithium batteries but I have done a bit of research from more reliable sources than web forums. Go to battery manufacturers literature rather than any travellers/campers forums if you want good info and not duff-gen. From what I have seen, whilst there are differences there are also similarities between SLA and lithium batteries, just like there are with nicad batteries. If there was no similarity then you would not be able to use SLA chargers (with care) to charge lithium batteries.

There is a lot of conflicting information above so I am providing some manufacturers advice for you so you can sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Lithium battery State of Charge

How to charge lithium-iron-phosphate lifepo4 batteries

Charging Lithium Batteries: The Basics

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 639454

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:18

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:18
Depends on the charge source, all chargers will act as constant current source if you exceed their max output capability, ie 20A. Two 100Ah Lithiums in parallel and in a discharged state will suck a lot of current when the charger is turned on, the charger will then limit its output current and hence voltage to protect itself so the battery voltage will reflect this, ie if the terminal voltage of the battery was 13V before you turned on the charger then the charger pumping in 20A may raise it to 13.2V. On the other hand if the battery is connected directly to the alternator and it is pumping in 80A the terminal voltage may be 13.8V for example. On the other hand if the battery is near fully charged then the terminal voltage will jump to say 14.4V if the battery is taking less than the chargers max output. It all depends on how much charge voltage and current is available and the state of charge of the battery.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 639458

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 22:49

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2022 at 22:49
qldcamper,
Voltmeter is far from useless. A voltmeter plus ammeter is ideal.
I have been running Lithium batteries in both Troopy and caravan and monitor voltage and amps continuously on both.
The voltmeter sits on 13.3-13.2V all the time I'm using them. Just running lights and fridges most of the time. But if the voltage were to drop to say 12.8V, it tells me that I'm down to the last 20% and I have to do something about it. Does not indicate what's going on between say 90% and 40% SOC but that doesn't worry me.
While driving, the Troopy batteries easily take 40A charging and the voltage only rises about 0.2-0.3V above the resting voltage. But when approaching fully charged, the voltage rises quickly and once the charging voltage gets above 13.8V I find that not long after the absorption voltage of 14.4V will be reached, the amps drop right off and the batteries swing into float. So basically the voltmeter tells you when you are nearing full charge.
I find the caravan is a bit different because it has 240W rooftop solar via a separate controller. The rooftop solar keeps up easily with my 12V demands, so little is drawn from the alternator (via a 25A DCDC charger) - the caravan voltage typically is getting up towards absortion voltage when it is approaching fully charged then gradually drops to it's 13.5V float.
I also run a Victron smartshunt in both and the % remaining is something I just look at occasionally out of curiosity.
AnswerID: 639474

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 07:01

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 07:01
Thanks Phil,
Although this has been a very informative thread and many very interesting facts uncovered and I thank all that have contributed, you have answered the original question perfectly.

It seems a battery with bluetooth connectivity would be the go. And also having a spare 80AH battery as back up gives piece of mind. That battery is basically to run the electric blankets in winter and back up the fridge battery in summer.
FollowupID: 918565

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 11:59

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 11:59
Yep, fair enough but I expect you'll only be using the bluetooth when stopped. I'm in the habit of glancing at voltmeter/ammeter on the dash in the Troopy and at the doorway in the caravan so I guess I only look at the bluetooth apps when I feel like checking out the usage or want to change the settings.
FollowupID: 918577

Reply By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 07:03

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 07:03
Briste,
What type of information is available to you via the bluetooth connection?
AnswerID: 639477

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 10:14

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 10:14
QC: Rather than my inexpert commentary, it's probably best to invest 15 minutes of your life to watch the two videos on this page. Others may also be interested in the comments on temperature in the second, shorter video (on how to rename a battery). I just learnt a few new things.

https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/dcs-lfp-app/
FollowupID: 918571

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 13:39

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 13:39
Hey Briste,
On the subject of storing LiFePO4 batteries, Enerdrive say that their batteries should be either.....
1) Left connected to a lithium charger on float. In this situation a load such as the fridge may be connected.
Or
2) Fully charged and disconnected, then monitored and maintained at or above 90% SOC.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 639494

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 15:11

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 at 15:11
Thanks Allan. The Enerdrive charger is an ePower. Without opening up the KK and accessing it I'm not sure of how many amps. I'm certainly in situation #1, and I have to assume that Kimberley correctly set up the profile of the charger. Seems to work well.

Situation #2 is hard to achieve completely, as there is always power to the disk brakes.
FollowupID: 918578

Sponsored Links