To anyone with Traveller V7 Update issues unresolved

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 22, 2022 at 21:10
ThreadID: 143285 Views:4293 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI Folks so we figured out a pattern with people having problems updating from earlier versions of Traveller to V7 (new users not affected).

Turns out that if you had a 2019 or 2018 EOTopo licence (but not the current 2021 licence) then if you were downloading maps, they were being auto deleted. We finally discovered that we made an oversight in the way the new security checks look for licencing and this never came up in Beta testing either because everyone was up to date with a 2021 map licence. So we have fixed this and put a small patch update through the app stores - this is v7.0.7. Already available for Android - still awaiting store approval for Apple and Windows. Should be avail tomorrow. This only affects a very small handful of people as most people should/will have the 2021 edition of the maps.

With the app crashing/freezing issue that some people were also having - this is device specific and only occurring on devices with low CPU or with databases that had not been updated for a very long time.
It was being caused by the way we had built the background update of Places, Treks, Track Logs to occur automatically upon initial opening of V7. This is a critical part of the update to V7 due to the extensive changes to the structure of the app data.

We had programmed this to be super fast and automatic to cause minimal disruption to you, but appears that devices with slow CPUs couldn't cope and some were therefore freezing/crashing. Most people that have had this issue have got it all sorted now and in reality, there have only been a small number of affected devices.

So in the 7.0.7 update we have removed the background update of data. We suspect there are going to be a few users out there who are still affected but have not reached out for support. If they get the 7.0.7 update this will clear their Places/Treks/Track Log databases automatically but instead of attempting to force the updates in the background they can do the updates manually.

If you've already completed your update successfully, the v7.0.7 will have no affect on your data and nothing will be deleted.

Thanks to all app users for your patience and support during this major migration. Whilst we've done more than 30 updates to the app in 7 years, this is the first time we've had such a major and significant structural change to the databases that affects your account data - it just had to be done to move forward with the improvements and new features.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter H75 - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 15:42

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 15:42
Hi Michelle,
I did chat with previously about this issue.
I have a Ipad Mini (series 5) which is less than 12months old with 46Gb of storage remaining.
I can't imagine that the CPU isn't capable of running the app.
I have deleted and re-installed the Traveller app 3 times now. The program starts O.K. and I download the LoRes pack fine. But the HiRes Pack only downloads to file 24/65. This has happened each time to the same file number.
I have also downloaded 1. Places & Treks.
2. Places & Treks Comments
with no problems.
Can you help?
Regards,
Peter Hogg
AnswerID: 639657

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 07:39

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 07:39
Pete

When it stalls during the download just swipe the App closed , repeat the process via data manager, it will resume from where it stalled.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918732

Sponsored Links